Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I've had my Tesla now a couple of weeks and all of a sudden they change again? Ha, price of progress.

I've noticed that my Performance Boost Upgrade Option has changed from 4.4s->3.9s to 4.2s->3.7s. I wonder if this is a bug, or if there really was/soon to be a free 0.2s OTA update over the air.

Time to pre-order that iPhone 12.

I think the change in the acceleration times might just reflect the 5% boost everyone got around the end of last year. Tesla didn't seem to change the performance in the spec, but many reported that the 5% boost, as expected, improved the acceleration times. This seems to have been reported in some road test reviews, too, with a few reviewers noting that their measured 0 to 60 times were slightly faster than the spec.

It seems possible that the change from 4.4s to 4.2s for the LR AWD might just be playing catch up with the last boost in power.

• Informative
Reactions: OneTinyFish
I spoke to my local SC to chase delivery on mine. They've said that the refresh will have different spec tyres as well as different wheels. They also said that the refresh will include the heatpump, hence the increased range.

It also looks likely that all current orders that have not been matched will be the refreshed models. First deliveries will be mid-November.
maybe they got rid of the acoustic tyres now the windows are more sound proof and they may have added additional sound proofing. I wonder how much the weigh went up? With the new glass, power trunk and heat pump I doubt it got any lighter

screenshot-298-png.599126

Hmmmm. Several things wrong with that image unless its V11 :oops:

That sounds like the original concept for the SR.

Have people found heat pumps to make a massive difference in winter?
In a word: yes!

Both my 2015 Leaf and 2018 Kona electric had heat pumps, and using the heater in winter had a negligible impact on range. The GOM on the Leaf used to update as you turned the heater on and off, and IIRC with the heater on and a full charge the range only reduced by 4 miles, so less than 5%.

The Kona was always much more efficient than the Model 3 LR, achieving at least the same range from a smaller battery, 64kWh as opposed to 75kWh. It was always easy to get 5 miles per kWh with the Kona, whereas I struggle to get 4 on the Tesla. During the one winter that I had the car using the heat pump heater had very little range impact.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
maybe they got rid of the acoustic tyres now the windows are more sound proof and they may have added additional sound proofing. I wonder how much the weigh went up? With the new glass, power trunk and heat pump I doubt it got any lighter

The specs on the website are still showing as 1847 Kgs. They've updated the external and internal images to reflect the refreshed design, so I guess that it's not unreasonable top expect that they would have also updated the weight if it had changed.

Perhaps the new wheels are lighter than the old ones?

I think the change in the acceleration times might just reflect the 5% boost everyone got around the end of last year. Tesla didn't seem to change the performance in the spec, but many reported that the 5% boost, as expected, improved the acceleration times. This seems to have been reported in some road test reviews, too, with a few reviewers noting that their measured 0 to 60 times were slightly faster than the spec.

It seems possible that the change from 4.4s to 4.2s for the LR AWD might just be playing catch up with the last boost in power.
Yup, it is possible that they can quote the acceleration update in the specs because no car they are supplying at this point has software that pre-dates it being added, which they couldn't say on all of the cars that were already out there.

I'm surprised that the advertised range increase is being put down to the heat pump. I realise that in the real world the heat pump will enable a longer range in cold weather ... which is great ... but I would not have thought that the advertised WLTP/EPA range specifications in tested vehicles would include heating or cooling. Aren't they are tested with all "extras" off to maximise the tested range and to ensure consistency of comparison?

Reactions: MrBadger
The specs on the website are still showing as 1847 Kgs. They've updated the external and internal images to reflect the refreshed design, so I guess that it's not unreasonable top expect that they would have also updated the weight if it had changed.

Perhaps the new wheels are lighter than the old ones?
Maybe but it would also me surprising if they made all those changes and the weight remained within a KG of the previous version one way or the other?

Reactions: Zakalwe and Adopado