Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw this on another TMC forum. Electrek say Tesla have confirmed there is an 82 kWh battery pack for the M3LR. But read the Garman forum - they are complaining that some refreshed models have the old battery packs.

Tesla confirms new 82 kWh battery pack in Model 3, thanks to new cells - Electrek

Apparently Tesla tells German buyers in advance details of their new purchase for registration purposes... and some think they have old battery packs................

Decent in-depth video.

Based on 10:15 in that video, people are going to struggle to wirelessly charge any reasonably sized phones. The cubbyhole looks too short to fit bigger phones (with or without cases), and it looks like there are "nibs" meant to hold the phone in place that would definitely be too narrow for some phones I think.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-11 at 13.11.26.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-11 at 13.11.26.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 157
Decent in-depth video.

Based on 10:15 in that video, people are going to struggle to wirelessly charge any reasonably sized phones. The cubbyhole looks too short to fit bigger phones (with or without cases), and it looks like there are "nibs" meant to hold the phone in place that would definitely be too narrow for some phones I think.
I've not seen any evidence to suggest the new charging pad can be removed either so you could replace with a design that accommodates larger phones.

Looking on the EPC the charging area (the felt bit) is part of the console. The actual inductive pad is a separate component underneath that it sits on. It also means that - as far as I can tell at least - there is no wired charging at all, unless you're happy to run a wire out of the main cubbyhole and leave it open.

Decent in-depth video.

It’s funny I’ve started to go back the other way , had my fill of large phones, can’t wait to get my hands on the iPhone 12 mini, obviously know it’s personal preference and should really cater for both.

To be honest I don't care for wired charging either. Every phone Android or iPhone I've had in recent times has wirelessly charged, and I've just stuck it on a charging pad at night or during the day when I'm working and forgot about it.

The only time in recent memory I've even plugged my iPhone in has been to do a manual backup in advance of upgrading to a newer model, but I don't think even that is required anymore (unless you've sold the old phone before receiving the new one).

That said, when you've been out and about all day then finding a chargepoint in town or whatever can be handy, and I'm normally pretty up to date with phones, so my last 3 iPhones have had wireless charging.

Reactions: pow216
Having a phone that is capable of wireless charging is actually quite important in a Model 3. You’ll typically use your phone as your key and unless you have the physical card in your wallet and your wallet with you at all times, you may run out of juice with your phone and end up a bit stuffed!

A wireless charging capable phone means you won’t just put it down randomly in the car but rather on the charging mat so you’re significantly less likely to be caught with your pants down!