Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 refusing to lock after update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had this issue? After last update, my father-in-law's M3 will not lock anymore. He's in Iowa--no nearby dealers--and getting Tesla phone and email support. Trying to lock with card or phone makes car honk three times, but it won't actually lock. Walking away won't lock either, though that setting is enabled. Obvious reboots of devices, car, console, etc have of course taken place. Thanks.

Well, it is actually open. So, wherever he goes, the car remains unlocked.

On the upside, he is the only Tesla owner in his county, and one of the very few M3 owners in the state, so I bet most people don't know how to open the door.:)

Seriously...I'm in the car and my friends are standing outside staring at the handles with a puzzled look. It's happened so many times already.

Everyone I have ever let into my car was confused by the car handles. Including me.
I've got to admit, I don't understand the confusion over the door handles. I've never been in a Model X before. A few weeks ago I checked one out in the showroom. Pushed one side of the handle, nothing happened. Pushed the other side and the door popped open. No big deal.

The Model 3 handle even has a bigger area where you're supposed to push so you're more likely to try that side first.

Reactions: Msjulie
I've got to admit, I don't understand the confusion over the door handles. I've never been in a Model X before. A few weeks ago I checked one out in the showroom. Pushed one side of the handle, nothing happened. Pushed the other side and the door popped open. No big deal.

The Model 3 handle even has a bigger area where you're supposed to push so you're more likely to try that side first.
After you see it once it totally makes sense. The reason why people are confused is because it's completely different from all other car handles which is very understandable.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
After you see it once it totally makes sense. The reason why people are confused is because it's completely different from all other car handles which is very understandable.
I guess it's more the mindset of standing there with a dumbfounded look on your face instead of just pushing it to see what happens. There shouldn't be time to be confused. o_O

I guess it's more the mindset of standing there with a dumbfounded look on your face instead of just pushing it to see what happens. There shouldn't be time to be confused. o_O
I was never confused in the presence of the car since I saw it in videos already. I have no idea how I would react if I never saw the videos. My point is there is a lot about the Model 3 that is completely different from what people are used to, so a level of confusion is expected.

Reactions: Krugerrand

It does confuse people; it doesn’t stick out to grab and it’s a funny shape.

Next comes fear; nobody wants to damage the car trying ways to open it so they stand there momentarily paralyzed.

Then comes doubt; their ability to figure it out and so they hesitate before cautiously touching and pushing.

A small percentage of the population intuitively get it right off but most people have to go through some combination of the first three emotions.

I wait in the car chuckling to myself while they figure it out on their own. Most ask me right off how do they get in and I just pretend I didn’t hear them. I don’t like to pass up on free entertainment, plus I think it makes them feel good about themselves for figuring it out on their own.

It does confuse people; it doesn’t stick out to grab and it’s a funny shape.

Next comes fear; nobody wants to damage the car trying ways to open it so they stand there momentarily paralyzed.

Then comes doubt; their ability to figure it out and so they hesitate before cautiously touching and pushing.

A small percentage of the population intuitively get it right off but most people have to go through some combination of the first three emotions.

I wait in the car chuckling to myself while they figure it out on their own. Most ask me right off how do they get in and I just pretend I didn’t hear them. I don’t like to pass up on free entertainment, plus I think it makes them feel good about themselves for figuring it out on their own.
It wasn't where to push or what to pull. However the first time I tried to open it, on the showroom floor back in Feb, the motor planning required to push, hook, pull blew my mind. Didn't know which hand to use, how to move to do it, even after the floor person doing it right in front of me. I tried a few times, always felt very awkward.

Next time I walked up to an unlocked Model 3, months later for the test drive, I just did it immediately like I was born doing it. Either side of the car. *shrug*

Last edited:
Reactions: Krugerrand
Going back to my father-in-law's problem....

This solved the problem. Somehow, the trunk was unlatched, but there were no warnings that was the case. This stumped Tesla support via email and phone. But of course TMC delivered in no time! Thanks, Runt8.
Glad to hear it worked out. It was originally the post by @WileyTheMan that got me thinking about if the car thought one of the doors was still open. If it happens again you might want to take it in to get the trunk door latch or sensor replaced.

Reactions: polymathic