Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 RWD charging at 40amp after PCS replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I’m a new owner looking for some help with a very specific question. Hoping someone here has the answer.

I recently bought a 2020 M3 SR+ RWD. I had a Wall Connector installed on a 50a breaker so it’s configured to charge at 40a but the RWD M3s only charge at 32a. Still following? Please stay with me. When I first charged it would only charge at 16a and I assumed correctly that the PCS was failing and Service replaced the PCS. Now it can and will charge at 40a but should only charge at 32a. Is it ok to charge at 40a or should I leave it set at 32a. Is it possible Service installed the larger PCS, the one used for AWD? Thanks for your help!

3669FC0C-5205-433A-9464-2141B25B7DB5.png

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Thats interesting and the first I have heard of this specific issue. As you state, Model 3 RWD is supposed to max out at 32amp charging.

My understanding is that the devices that control L2 charging in the car are 16amp devices, and RWD vehicles have 2 of those (thus up to 32 amp charging) and AWD / Performance (and early LR RWD) have 3 (thus up to 48amp charging). This would basically mean they added one of those devices to your vehicle by mistake, when it was in for service (or because they didnt have parts, or some other reason).

If the car can physically charge at the higher rate, it should be fine to leave it there. If you go back to tesla, they may tell you to leave it alone, or they may want to exchange parts and reduce it back down to "what its supposed to be".\

If I was going to keep the car, I would just leave it alone and enjoy the faster L2 charging on a SR+/RWD vehicle, but I am not an insider or anything, just a regular owner.

=====================================
(moderator note)

I changed your thread title because the original title was "model 3 wall connector help" but this doesnt appear to have anything to do with the wall connector at all. The issue is your questions around the car charging at 40amp after PCS replacement by SC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thats interesting and the first I have heard of this specific issue. As you state, Model 3 RWD is supposed to max out at 32amp charging.

My understanding is that the devices that control L2 charging in the car are 16amp devices, and RWD vehicles have 2 of those (thus up to 32 amp charging) and RWD / Performance have 3 (thus up to 48amp charging). This would basically mean they added one of those devices to your vehicle by mistake, when it was in for service (or because they didnt have parts, or some other reason).

If the car can physically charge at the higher rate, it should be fine to leave it there. If you go back to tesla, they may tell you to leave it alone, or they may want to exchange parts and reduce it back down to "what its supposed to be".\

If I was going to keep the car, I would just leave it alone and enjoy the faster L2 charging on a SR+/RWD vehicle, but I am not an insider or anything, just a regular owner.

(moderator note)

I changed your thread title because the original title was "model 3 wall connector help" but this doesnt appear to have anything to do with the wall connector at all. The issue is your questions around the car charging at 40amp after PCS replacement by SC.
Thanks for the info and more accurate title!

Upvote 0
My 2022 M3 RWD has the LFP battery chemistry, and the on-board charger that limits me to 32 amps. But you have the SR+ model... doesn't it have the NMC battery? Which I thought could charge at a higher rate?
It's not the battery that is the issue, it's because the onboard charger in the SR+ (or RWD) only has two of the 16A charger modules, so you get only 16A*2 = 32A max. The more expensive LR and Performance models instead have 3 of the 16A charger modules, so they can support 16A*3 = 48A max.
Onboard Charger

I believe this is how the board in the LR one looks:
pcs-from-ingineerix-cleaned-jpg.773721

This one is probably the SR+ one:
s-l1600.jpg

2017-2022 Tesla 3 M3 Power Conversion System PCS OnBoard Charger 1093219-10-G | eBay

The EPC shows two part numbers:
9ASY,PCS,48A-CD,1PH,MDL31135558-04-ATesla Only11
9ASY,PCS,32A,1PH,CD,MDL31135558-03-DTesla Only11
Parts Catalog

OP got lucky because they very likely installed the "wrong" one (maybe they ran out of the 32A one or it could be a mistake).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

My understanding is that the devices that control L2 charging in the car are 16amp devices, and RWD vehicles have 2 of those (thus up to 32 amp charging) and AWD / Performance (and early LR RWD) have 3 (thus up to 48amp charging). This would basically mean they added one of those devices to your vehicle by mistake, when it was in for service (or because they didnt have parts, or some other reason).

(moderator note)

The RWD (at least my 2018 build) has 3 legs in the PCS. Capable of charging at 40A from a 14-50 or 48A from a wall connector.
I am here because 1 of mine just went bad, a few hundred miles out of warranty. I can only charge at 32A at home now.

Upvote 0