Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Standard 220 range 172 mile commute

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would love to get the correct tool but I just can't see spending $10K more for possible 90 additional miles. I'm ok with super charging if needed on the way home. I did hear that super charging every day can hurt the battery so maybe driving speed limits will be my best option. Hoping the car is as perfect as everyone claims and expect zero problems for at least 200,000 miles.

Reactions: Rocky_H
OP,

It sounds like you’ve made up your mind and you can live with daily stops at a supercharger so I think you have all of the information you need to make your decision. I personally would not feel comfortable with the SR in your situation. You will not want to drive the car down to 5% battery reserve as you roll into your driveway every night. So I think you will find that stopping at a charger is a daily routine. Imagine if you had to stop at the gas station every day and spend 15-20 minutes there. And if there is a wait at the Super Chargers your wait might be longer. I hope it all works out for you but I think this might not be the right car for you. Good luck whatever you decide.

My daily routine is 62 miles (80% open hwy 20% stop-n-go traffic) to drop off my son.
Turn around and backtrack 24 miles in very heavy stop-n-yell traffic to work.
Leave work, another 24 mile of aggressive road rage driving to pick up my son.
Finally 62 miles home in 80/20 traffic once again.

If your son is able to drive himself, I'd be telling him to get his own car, or take the shoe leather express!

• Funny
Reactions: OCR1
Would love to get the correct tool but I just can't see spending $10K more for possible 90 additional miles. I'm ok with super charging if needed on the way home. I did hear that super charging every day can hurt the battery so maybe driving speed limits will be my best option. Hoping the car is as perfect as everyone claims and expect zero problems for at least 200,000 miles.
Even the 20 additional mile range of the Standard Range Plus would make a big difference in your situation. You’re not considering a few percent of range loss over time, decreased range in rain, with headwind, etc. With your long commute, stopping to supercharge each day will get old very quickly. Instead of trying to justify your decision, perhaps stop and think about what more experienced EV drivers are telling you.

OP..

I live in a city called Temecula, in CA, and Commute to Oceanside CA which is in San Diego. I live in Southern California, so I feel my weather experience is close "enough" to yours. We both have pretty temperate winters, for example.

I have a model 3 performance, not a short range, so its not quite apples to apples. I have a 75-76 mile daily commute to work and back. I picked the car up december 4th. During the month of december and january, my 75-76 "actual" mile commute took somewhere of 90-120 miles of "range" from the car. As it has warmed up, my 75 mile commute takes about 80 miles "range".

On rainy days, my same commute can take 120 or even 130 miles of range, depending on if I use the climate control or not. During dec / jan, I was commuting to work with the climate control system off most days, trying to make sure I understood what was happening with my mileage / range etc.... the same things most new EV drivers go through.

I figured out that rain really effects range for example, even if you dont have climate control on. I figured out that higher speeds REALLY do a number on range. The freeway by me has a speed limit of 70 MPH.. and when traffic allows, the actual speed of traffic is around 80. Sometimes its 80 MPH on that freeway, and sometimes its 15 MPH.

With your commute, and your child, and your work schedule, I would imagine the LAST thing you would want to do would be to stop on the way home with son in tow. I would imagine your work does not stop when you get home, either.

Even if you could reliably make it "most of the time" without charging, you would be cutting it very close, and cycling the battery from almost full to almost empty every single day.

The SR car is the wrong car for you You will end up hating it, if you have to stop at a super charger 2-3 days a week and still charge when you get home. What about stops at the store on the way home for example? You will be eyeballing that range meter every day, and it will likely cause you anxiety.

If you want the savings of driving an EV and want a Tesla, here is another vote to look for a 1 year old one Long Range RWD or AWD. It likely wouldnt be 10k more.

You are likely looking at an extra 30 minute total time spent charging during the winter.. and you are talking about taking this car to 200k miles. You ARE going to lose range over time, all batteries do. The longer you drive this car, the more time you will spend charging on your way home. I say 30 extra minutes because even if you only need 15 minutes of charge, you have to GET to the super charger, park in a stall, plug in, charge, unplug, and get back on the road. That makes a 15 minute super charge more like 20-25 actual minutes spent.

Do you want to get home 1/2 hour later than you do right now, pretty much every day during the winter, and when it rains, and when its cold? Do you want to be constantly staring at the range gauge, and unlike most EV owners, actually have something to be worried about? Do you want to be stuck in traffic, and think "wow I better turn off the climate control, or I will have to detour to the supercharger".

I dont see this working for 200k miles, not with the short range car. Look for a demo model 3 from tesla or a used AWD or RWD one. I dont know you obviously, I just feel for you and your commute, and dont see this ending well, ESPECIALLY considering you are talking about driving it "to 200k miles".

OP..

I live in a city called Temecula, in CA, and Commute to Oceanside CA which is in San Diego. I live in Southern California, so I feel my weather experience is close "enough" to yours. We both have pretty temperate winters, for example.

I have a model 3 performance, not a short range, so its not quite apples to apples. I have a 75-76 mile daily commute to work and back. I picked the car up december 4th. During the month of december and january, my 75-76 "actual" mile commute took somewhere of 90-120 miles of "range" from the car. As it has warmed up, my 75 mile commute takes about 80 miles "range".

On rainy days, my same commute can take 120 or even 130 miles of range, depending on if I use the climate control or not. During dec / jan, I was commuting to work with the climate control system off most days, trying to make sure I understood what was happening with my mileage / range etc.... the same things most new EV drivers go through.

I figured out that rain really effects range for example, even if you dont have climate control on. I figured out that higher speeds REALLY do a number on range. The freeway by me has a speed limit of 70 MPH.. and when traffic allows, the actual speed of traffic is around 80. Sometimes its 80 MPH on that freeway, and sometimes its 15 MPH.

With your commute, and your child, and your work schedule, I would imagine the LAST thing you would want to do would be to stop on the way home with son in tow. I would imagine your work does not stop when you get home, either.

Even if you could reliably make it "most of the time" without charging, you would be cutting it very close, and cycling the battery from almost full to almost empty every single day.

The SR car is the wrong car for you You will end up hating it, if you have to stop at a super charger 2-3 days a week and still charge when you get home. What about stops at the store on the way home for example? You will be eyeballing that range meter every day, and it will likely cause you anxiety.

If you want the savings of driving an EV and want a Tesla, here is another vote to look for a 1 year old one Long Range RWD or AWD. It likely wouldnt be 10k more.

You are likely looking at an extra 30 minute total time spent charging during the winter.. and you are talking about taking this car to 200k miles. You ARE going to lose range over time, all batteries do. The longer you drive this car, the more time you will spend charging on your way home. I say 30 extra minutes because even if you only need 15 minutes of charge, you have to GET to the super charger, park in a stall, plug in, charge, unplug, and get back on the road. That makes a 15 minute super charge more like 20-25 actual minutes spent.

Do you want to get home 1/2 hour later than you do right now, pretty much every day during the winter, and when it rains, and when its cold? Do you want to be constantly staring at the range gauge, and unlike most EV owners, actually have something to be worried about? Do you want to be stuck in traffic, and think "wow I better turn off the climate control, or I will have to detour to the supercharger".

I dont see this working for 200k miles, not with the short range car. Look for a demo model 3 from tesla or a used AWD or RWD one. I dont know you obviously, I just feel for you and your commute, and dont see this ending well, ESPECIALLY considering you are talking about driving it "to 200k miles".

Glad I bumped into this thread. I live right up the road from you in Menifee and I commute to Point Loma on a daily basis. I was also considering getting a 3 SR but after reading this I might just keep saving for the LR. I've had enough of Gas Prices. We already have Solar and a PW at home so I need to take advantage of that. Unfortunately some of the used LR 3's are still out my price range. I have heard that there are times Tesla will call and ask if you would like to switch your order a discount on another model.

Do you gain any range going downhill? I know for your commute depending on where you exit you might or might not go downhill.

Glad I bumped into this thread. I live right up the road from you in Menifee and I commute to Point Loma on a daily basis. I was also considering getting a 3 SR but after reading this I might just keep saving for the LR. I've had enough of Gas Prices. We already have Solar and a PW at home so I need to take advantage of that. Unfortunately some of the used LR 3's are still out my price range. I have heard that there are times Tesla will call and ask if you would like to switch your order a discount on another model.

Do you gain any range going downhill? I know for your commute depending on where you exit you might or might not go downhill.

Assuming any commute is a round trip, a downhill section on one leg is an uphill on the reverse!

@T3SLAROD I would be happy to share details about the specific commute toward san diego from our area, but dont want to change the topic of this OPs thread. Feel free to PM me and I would be happy to chat with you about it.

Have you looked at the used tesla market?
I think the used market is still really lean at the moment, but for @nocelldontcall and @T3SLAROD , does this have to be a right now decision? I think it's been pretty well figured out that you should not count on 1:1 use of the 220 miles of range or whatever the short one is, and that's going to be too stressful. But what about in another 1-2 years? There should be some more long range cars you could find then, and they would be at a bit better pricing. I know no one wants to wait for anything, but it will probably yield a better outcome long term.

Reactions: willow_hiller
A flat , warm/hot place like Florida is probably the only scenario I’d condone this. Anywhere else, no way, too many variables, unless you are good with stopping at an sc, especially after some battery degradation sets in. In your case, if you monitor your driving and charging you should be fine. If you have the funds I still prefer the larger battery.

For those new to m3, I find using AC has little appreciable impact on range. The heater is what kills range, like 20-40% depending on how cold it is

A flat , warm/hot place like Florida is probably the only scenario I’d condone this. Anywhere else, no way, too many variables, unless you are good with stopping at an sc, especially after some battery degradation sets in. In your case, if you monitor your driving and charging you should be fine. If you have the funds I still prefer the larger battery.

For those new to m3, I find using AC has little appreciable impact on range. The heater is what kills range, like 20-40% depending on how cold it is
I found that of -15 will kill about 20% of range.

One of the biggest, if not the top benefit of EV ownership is never having to fill up anywhere else but home. I have had an S85 and now a P3D+, and have Supercharged less than 25 times over 3+ years total. Of those times it was on trips that were 250 miles or greater from my home. In my previous ICE cars I was getting gas 1X or 2X per week. I barely know how to use a gas pump anymore. Over 3 years that has saved me 1,400 to 2,600 minutes of gas station time. Shorter end if I was going for pricey gas and no line, and higher end if slogging through Costco line for cheap gas which can be over 15-20 minutes in SoCal, plus my Land Cruiser drinks 20-25 gallons per trip. Over 3 years, I saved over $13,000 buying premium for the beast.

Is that worth $10,000? Yup. I say even more.

The time and money savings are very real for those who really drive the car. Your commute per day and week make the LR a no brainer. You will save money and time daily and be stress free. At some point after about 3 months of ownership, you will drive past a gas station and think, oh, that's where I can get air for my tires.

You will start to hate the car if you have to build Supercharger time into your daily schedule. If you have to do it 3X per week, you will be paying the SC fee, plus maybe Starbucks, fast-food, etc. You may end up spending an extra $100+ month just buying boredom goodies and charging expenses.

Just get an off menu LR, or find a used one.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
You're scaring me but I agree the standard is not the right car for me. Going to see if it's possible to find a single motor LR instead. Everyone has valid points here. Reading reviews, tables, stories, etc... seems that the SR can make it but it's going to be a hassle everyday and I will end up hating the car after a while.

All your concerns go away if you can get your employer to install a 240v outlet somewhere you can plug in. Easily worth a couple of hundred bucks on your end.

You're scaring me but I agree the standard is not the right car for me. Going to see if it's possible to find a single motor LR instead. Everyone has valid points here. Reading reviews, tables, stories, etc... seems that the SR can make it but it's going to be a hassle everyday and I will end up hating the car after a while.
Not to divert too much but the Bolt has 238miles rated and I have achieved that range a few times..I find the range more predictable on the Bolt than Tesla, probably because it's not possible to drive as fast with it, Reason I mention Bolt is due to OP being price sensitive. I was able to buy a new fully loaded Bolt Premier at 33k 2 months ago.

Reactions: F14Scott
I don't see a "lean" used Tesla market. I do see used Teslas all over the internet. You could by a used 2014 Model S 85, with a warranty, under 40K miles for thousands less then a new Model 3. Bigger car, longer range!
As for the work situation. All you really need is a 12-13A 110, outlet and that should give you an additional 25 miles during your 8 hrs at work. NO additional cost to your employer. I hope you the option of installing a HPWC at home.

Waiting for delivery of the standard range in about a week. Preparing the garage now having an electrician install a nema outlet. So I've been sweating bullets reading reviews, recommendations, complaints, maps, routes, etc.. on the SR.
My daily routine is 62 miles (80% open hwy 20% stop-n-go traffic) to drop off my son.
Turn around and backtrack 24 miles in very heavy stop-n-yell traffic to work.
Leave work, another 24 mile of aggressive road rage driving to pick up my son.
Finally 62 miles home in 80/20 traffic once again.

Yes, it is a lot of driving but I have no other option for now. Gas is currently costing $360 monthly so I'm happy to see that go down to zero as it will help with the cost of the new car. I'm just freaking out because 90% of full charge is 198 miles. Heat down here in Florida will likely affect the charge negatively and no way I can afford the LR model so I will be logging and calculating everything. Also read that the SR's 220 max range is already software limited so that 220 is under 90% of the 'real' max of 240.

A few days to go.

If you haven't bought the car already, cancel the order or return the car. As others have correctly pointed out, I can tell you that if you take weather and road conditions into account (apply a "standard deduction"), the maximum real world range for a SR is about 155 miles and SR+ is about 175 miles from 99% down to 1% to put it safely. You can certainly squeeze another 25 miles off each if everything works in your favor, which is rare. Warmer days in Florida will work in your favor, actually, if you keep the A/C in check.

SR+ is the minimum requirement for your commuting needs and LR is the recommended. You have a life and range anxiety on a daily basis is not something that's worth saving a few thousand dollars on a $40,000 car. Oh and another point of view - while you'll feel like you are saving $360 per month on gas, you are not. You are actually paying a whole lot more money for the new car and also buying into all the worrying if it gets hit/needs repairs/quality issues/breakdowns, etc. Owning a Tesla is expensive. Much more expensive than just paying for gas - I think a Prius is a better and cheaper alternative for you if you do not mind owning a gasoline vehicle. Just trying to be realistic here.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: svp6 and GeoX750