Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Stealth Performance vs LR AWD

Do you agree?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased my Model 3 Stealth Performance* in August 2019, and my parents picked up their LR AWD in January 2020. I've had the chance to drive theirs a few times and figured it may be helpful to describe the difference in driving performance I've noticed between the two.

Basically the LR AWD seems to drive more evenly and smoothly than my Stealth P. Accelerating in the Stealth P throws you back in your seat much more than the LR AWD does. This also means it's "jerkier", which my wife does not enjoy. I'd say the only difference in driving the two models is this. It's a big difference, but probably the only one I noticed. Their car is still plenty fast, but the Stealth P just has much more power. And no they haven't and probably won't get the boost upgrade for $2k.

*In case I got the "Stealth" terminology mixed up, for what it's worth, the Tesla rep who sold it to me was calling it a "Unicorn" model at the time. Basically it's the M3P but without the upgraded brakes, tires and spoiler. I have the 18" aeros, which work great anyway since I'm in the city with lots of potholes. Plus I never felt like the M3 needed a spoiler since the design already incorporates a spoiler-like curvature where the spoiler goes.

Haven’t driven a non-Performance, so I can’t relate. However, acceleration from a stop in a Performance does throw one pretty good into the seat. For someone that doesn’t enjoy speed, I could understand the term “jerkier” being used to describe the sensation. LOL

• Funny
Reactions: Arctic_White
I too have a Stealth Performance but with 19's and I agree the acceleration will push u back into your seat. The only way to make your car smoother is to change it to Chill mode, rather than Sport. Of course, you will lose significant power but it does drive a lot smoother.

I switch between the AWD and a July 2019 Stealth frequently, and I find they drive similarly.

It's nice to have the power when you "need" it, but otherwise I haven't encountered any jerkiness.

Congrats on getting a Stealth, by the way. I still think they were an incredible deal while they were available.

correct me if I am wrong, I remember someone explained the front motor won't engaged unless 70% throttle or one of wheels start slipping to save energy. I don't find my car any jerkiness in either modes. Regen definitely less grabby after the update, which makes the car smoother.

My wife sold her 2018 LR RWD 3 and bought a 2018 stealth performance and she loves it. However, she just drove me out of town for the weekend and the car made me nauseous with its rapid acceleration/deceleration cycles. I finally had to ask her to put it in chill mode and set the regenerative braking to low. Much better after that. So I guess my supposition here is that it is all in the software settings.
I'm going to ask her to make a tame driving profile specifically for shuttling me around. She can go all banshee when she's by herself. :)

My wife sold her 2018 LR RWD 3 and bought a 2018 stealth performance and she loves it. However, she just drove me out of town for the weekend and the car made me nauseous with its rapid acceleration/deceleration cycles. I finally had to ask her to put it in chill mode and set the regenerative braking to low. Much better after that. So I guess my supposition here is that it is all in the software settings.
I'm going to ask her to make a tame driving profile specifically for shuttling me around. She can go all banshee when she's by herself. :)

Well, it just goes to show you that it takes all kinds. :) I like the raw power of the performance model and don't mind the visceral feel of the g-forces around accel/decel. It's great that those can be tuned with a couple of swipes on the screen to please a wider range of drivers. It's amazing that for ~$60k you can get a relatively comfortable sedan that can go toe to toe with exotic sports cars from 0-60 and at the drag strip. :)

Best,

The word jerkiness is only applicable as in the sensation of launching hard jerks you backwards. However, it’s pure acceleration. It’s completely smooth and linear, no shifting, no cuts in power, just more acceleration than some people like.

Its not any jerkier if you have a light touch on throttle. Its all up to the driver to determine how smooth or jerky the car is at takeoff or just driving around. I would much rather have the Performance as the 0-50 feel much stronger.

To be clear, my wife was driving us to a ski resort in the mountains on a two lane twisty road. Lots of acceleration out of turns and deceleration going into. She was having a ball. I was trying to read twitter on my phone. Got nauseous.
One time I looked over and she had hit 96 mph when passing somebody. Car is fast.
The funny thing is that on Sunday, when it was my turn to drive us home, the first thing she did when we got in the car was set it to chill mode and low regen braking. She's not dumb. She didn't want to get sick either.

Yes you reminded me I should have mentioned that my wife makes me put it in chill and regen braking on low =) Thanks for sharing

Reactions: Country Roads
The word jerkiness is only applicable as in the sensation of launching hard jerks you backwards. However, it’s pure acceleration. It’s completely smooth and linear, no shifting, no cuts in power, just more acceleration than some people like.

Yea, I should have added to my OP that the regenerative braking I think also contributes alot to the "jerkiness". And regen braking seems more pronounced in the P than the LR.

I too have a Stealth Performance but with 19's and I agree the acceleration will push u back into your seat. The only way to make your car smoother is to change it to Chill mode, rather than Sport. Of course, you will lose significant power but it does drive a lot smoother.

Regen braking on low will also make it smoother. And good to see another stealth owner out there =) I rarely see other Ps let alone stealths on the road... thought Id see more Performance versions than I do...cheers

Regen braking on low will also make it smoother. And good to see another stealth owner out there =) I rarely see other Ps let alone stealths on the road... thought Id see more Performance versions than I do...cheers

Yes, good point...low regen is also perfect for smoother driving. I rarely see any Ps in NY. I saw one black M3P+ yesterday on the NJ turnpike coming from Philly after a very very long time.

Reactions: NJP3