Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 windows frozen and will not drop when opening car door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately my windows got stuck today and wouldn't drop when opening the car doors. I've applied a lubricant on the rubber around the door to reduce the chances of the doors getting frozen and it seemed to have worked. Any recommendations in terms of what I can use to fix my window problem? I was thinking the deicer from CRC. I hate to hear the window hit against the frame of the car.

I've been preheating my car as well for a few minutes but I was advised by Tesla that I would need to preheat for a good 30 minutes at max heat (sounds a little too long...) to ensure the window mechanism thaws out and that maximum regen is reached.

For regen, try to finish charging close to the time you are going to use the car.

My windows were also a bit stuck today too, as were the door handles. My wife was confuzzled by the app refusing to lock the doors ;-)
It was about 17F, so this is going to be the norm for months.

For regen, try to finish charging close to the time you are going to use the car.

My windows were also a bit stuck today too, as were the door handles. My wife was confuzzled by the app refusing to lock the doors ;-)
It was about 17F, so this is going to be the norm for months.

Ok i'll try to time my charges better, it makes sense. Have you used any deicer products on the handles or on the chrome trim to get into the doors?

Seems to be a common issue:

Tesla Model 3 is starting to show some important flaws in cold weather

Perhaps try putting some silicone spray on the rubber seals to prevent the windows from getting stuck, but if some internal parts inside the door are freezing you may be out of luck.

Fortunately we don't have this problem here in California (instead we're "enjoying" unhealthy concentrations of smoke particles in the air from the camp fire :confused:).

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and adaptabl
My handle popped, but I couldn't get the door to open. Had to fight it for a few. Had been driving the car for hours, had stopped for about an hour before getting in, had preheated a few minutes. 30 degrees F. A bit concerning.....

• Informative
Reactions: Carl_P
I use the 3M Silicone spray on the seals. Wonder if that in the door handle pockets would help at all.

For all the California talk, they tested the car at many winter locations. Wonder if they didn’t do it in bad enough weather (like freezing rain, overnight, parking outside, etc.)?

As Fred said in the Electrek article, a lot of people (and it will get worse with the SR version) don’t have garages.

OK. Add this to the snow tire problem and Tesla's making it much easier for me to wait. Rather than just waiting for the SR, I'm now also waiting for fixes to snow tire regen and windows.

I park in a garage at home, but not at work or any other place I go. Preheat the car isn't a fix.

Ironically I had a Tesla sales call message on my answering machine yesterday.

Last edited:
I guess when they tell you to preheat the car at max heat for 30 minutes then that might be the only real solution. We have been having a pretty wet, cool period down here in Georgia and I started getting the "limited regen" notification. I started preheating the car when I got in the shower in the morning and about 20 minutes later unplugged and headed to work. Seems to have taken care of the regen problem. Obviously you are dealing with much more severe conditions so of course your mileage may vary.

Dan

I use the 3M Silicone spray on the seals. Wonder if that in the door handle pockets would help at all.

For all the California talk, they tested the car at many winter locations. Wonder if they didn’t do it in bad enough weather (like freezing rain, overnight, parking outside, etc.)?

As Fred said in the Electrek article, a lot of people (and it will get worse with the SR version) don’t have garages.

How often should it be applied?

How often should it be applied?
Good question... I would say it depends on how often you park outside exposed to freezing water.

Once every couple of weeks would be my guess for heavy weather exposure and of course if you notice things sticking. I use a paper towel/cloth to spray it on and then wipe on the seals to avoid overspray.

As for the door handles, that’s an experiment in progress.

I guess when they tell you to preheat the car at max heat for 30 minutes then that might be the only real solution. We have been having a pretty wet, cool period down here in Georgia and I started getting the "limited regen" notification. I started preheating the car when I got in the shower in the morning and about 20 minutes later unplugged and headed to work. Seems to have taken care of the regen problem. Obviously you are dealing with much more severe conditions so of course your mileage may vary.

Dan

I'd expect to have to hack some ice away, but these reported problems are just mentioning _cold_. That should be easy to test. Possibly a lubrication problem.

Reactions: Jtt777
Unfortunately my windows got stuck today and wouldn't drop when opening the car doors. I've applied a lubricant on the rubber around the door to reduce the chances of the doors getting frozen and it seemed to have worked. Any recommendations in terms of what I can use to fix my window problem? I was thinking the deicer from CRC. I hate to hear the window hit against the frame of the car.

I've been preheating my car as well for a few minutes but I was advised by Tesla that I would need to preheat for a good 30 minutes at max heat (sounds a little too long...) to ensure the window mechanism thaws out and that maximum regen is reached.
How is heating the car for 30 minutes difficult? Wake up...reach for phone...pre heat car. Unless you literally jump out of bed and rush out the door I'd think there's at least 30 minutes between getting out of bed and heading off to work. Am missing something here? Not trying to be facetious just perplexed by the number of folks struggling with this seemingly simple to overcome problem.

I'd expect to have to hack some ice away, but these reported problems are just mentioning _cold_. That should be easy to test. Possibly a lubrication problem.

I think you are right, they are using the wrong lubricant on the parts of the car that is getting too viscous to operate. there is no mention of ice in a lot of these complaints. It sounds like we may need to go back to service to have them relube it at some point if this problem becomes too widespread. Maybe it is just a few batches of bad grease I hope.

How is heating the car for 30 minutes difficult? Wake up...reach for phone...pre heat car. Unless you literally jump out of bed and rush out the door I'd think there's at least 30 minutes between getting out of bed and heading off to work. Am missing something here? Not trying to be facetious just perplexed by the number of folks struggling with this seemingly simple to overcome problem.

I'm used to the following process with my cars:
1) Open door
2) Get in
3) Warm it up a bit if the windows are fogged

30 minutes of pre-heating isn't a solution. It's a workaround.

I had this happen to me yesterday after work.

Door handles frozen just for the cold. No water or snow on the car.. just was -5C.

Evenually the door handles worked but when i opened the door.. the windows didnt roll down and scraped the chrome trim.

Then i couldnt close the damn doors and had to call roadside service. They told me the solution was in the future to preheat for 20 minutes.

About 25 minutes later i managed to force the windows down so i could close the doors.

Huge pain in my ass to say the least.

I'm used to the following process with my cars:
1) Open door
2) Get in
3) Warm it up a bit if the windows are fogged

30 minutes of pre-heating isn't a solution. It's a workaround.
You lost me as to why it is not a solution. It may be a slightly different process than what you are used to but it involves no more time it seems, just a rearrange of the order of things. Just do your process with "3" being the first step instead of the last.

Dan