Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3LR Ride Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just picked up a 2022 M3LR with the 19” wheels yesterday and we noticed it seems to go over bumps and railroad tracks a lot better than our ‘21 M3SR+ with the same 19” wheels. Is the suspension that different between the two?

@ElectricNerd Your RWD SR+ surely had different front springs at a minimum. If it had the same springs as an AWD LR the front would have sat too high (rearward rake), assuming the RWD front spring perch is at the same height, which I believe it is. Possibly your SR+ had different rear springs than an LR of the same era too, since NCA SR+ battery pack was lighter than the larger LR pack, so there would be a bit less weight on the rear too (but not as much difference as in the front).

I've read the SR and SR+ never came with a rear sway bar, whereas LR always has (RWD or AWD). Adding a Tesla OE rear sway bar (i.e. not aftermarket large) might help both handling and ride.

Even aside from those differences, Tesla has revised the Model 3 suspension tuning several times over the years, pretty much always in the softer and smoother direction from what I've read. "My new Model 3 rides and handles softer than my old one" is a recurring theme since the early Model 3 days. The first thread below is from 2018. ;)

The most consistent themes / comparisons I've seen are:

1) The very earliest Model 3's had the sportiest, firmest suspension tuning. Think 2017 cars. In approximately early 2018 Tesla softened the suspension tuning across the lineup. I believe (not 100% sure!) no AWD Model 3 ever had this early sportiest suspension tuning, it was dropped before the dual motor cars were released. Even the earliest M3P with PUP drive reports I can find say it felt softer than the earliest 2017 RWD cars.

2) Around the beginning of 2021 Tesla softened the Model 3 suspension further, at least for AWD cars. I don't have links handy but I've seen several reports here of owners of 2018-2020 Model 3 upgrading to a 2021+ and describing the suspension as clearly softer - better ride but worse handling. This seems to hold true regardless of exact trim level, e.g. even those upgrading from an older LR to a 2021+ M3P with PUP described the new M3P as softer! However I do NOT know exactly when Tesla made this change...did it correspond with 2021 model year? 2021 calendar year? Some other date, since as we know Tesla almost never exactly aligns changes with model years or calendar years? (And I believe most of the well-known "2021+" changes were not introduced exactly on the model year boundary, nor were they all introduced together.)

The TL;DR is "my newer Model 3 has a smoother and softer suspension" is a recurring theme throughout the years. Your report might be the first "2022 Model 3 feels softer than 2021" that I've read, but maybe your 2021 is an early one built with the older suspension parts, or Tesla only softened the dual motor suspensions for 2021, not SR+. Or the SR+ just always rode worse. I never test drove an SR+, and I think most of the 2018-2020 vs 2021+ ride/handling comparisons I've read were comparing dual motor cars.

@ElectricNerd Your RWD SR+ surely had different front springs at a minimum. If it had the same springs as an AWD LR the front would have sat too high (rearward rake), assuming the RWD front spring perch is at the same height, which I believe it is. Possibly your SR+ had different rear springs than an LR of the same era too, since NCA SR+ battery pack was lighter than the larger LR pack, so there would be a bit less weight on the rear too (but not as much difference as in the front).

I've read the SR and SR+ never came with a rear sway bar, whereas LR always has (RWD or AWD). Adding a Tesla OE rear sway bar (i.e. not aftermarket large) might help both handling and ride.

Even aside from those differences, Tesla has revised the Model 3 suspension tuning several times over the years, pretty much always in the softer and smoother direction from what I've read. "My new Model 3 rides and handles softer than my old one" is a recurring theme since the early Model 3 days. The first thread below is from 2018. ;)

The most consistent themes / comparisons I've seen are:

1) The very earliest Model 3's had the sportiest, firmest suspension tuning. Think 2017 cars. In approximately early 2018 Tesla softened the suspension tuning across the lineup. I believe (not 100% sure!) no AWD Model 3 ever had this early sportiest suspension tuning, it was dropped before the dual motor cars were released. Even the earliest M3P with PUP drive reports I can find say it felt softer than the earliest 2017 RWD cars.

2) Around the beginning of 2021 Tesla softened the Model 3 suspension further, at least for AWD cars. I don't have links handy but I've seen several reports here of owners of 2018-2020 Model 3 upgrading to a 2021+ and describing the suspension as clearly softer - better ride but worse handling. This seems to hold true regardless of exact trim level, e.g. even those upgrading from an older LR to a 2021+ M3P with PUP described the new M3P as softer! However I do NOT know exactly when Tesla made this change...did it correspond with 2021 model year? 2021 calendar year? Some other date, since as we know Tesla almost never exactly aligns changes with model years or calendar years? (And I believe most of the well-known "2021+" changes were not introduced exactly on the model year boundary, nor were they all introduced together.)

The TL;DR is "my newer Model 3 has a smoother and softer suspension" is a recurring theme throughout the years. Your report might be the first "2022 Model 3 feels softer than 2021" that I've read, but maybe your 2021 is an early one built with the older suspension parts, or Tesla only softened the dual motor suspensions for 2021, not SR+. Or the SR+ just always rode worse. I never test drove an SR+, and I think most of the 2018-2020 vs 2021+ ride/handling comparisons I've read were comparing dual motor cars.
I wonder if retrofit of new softer coils and shocks from 2023 M3 LR to 2019 M3 LR possible? Might be a cheaper option than to buy aftermarket shocks and coils. Has anyone tried to buy from tesla a set of 2023 stock coils and shocks and put them onto an older vehicle?

I wonder if retrofit of new softer coils and shocks from 2023 M3 LR to 2019 M3 LR possible? Might be a cheaper option than to buy aftermarket shocks and coils. Has anyone tried to buy from tesla a set of 2023 stock coils and shocks and put them onto an older vehicle?
@Owner81 Is your 2019 LR RWD or AWD?

I'm sure the parts would fit fine if AWD -> AWD. I've spent too much time on these forums and not heard of any incompatibilities there (not counting Highland).

To me the switch wouldn't be worth the hassle (if DIY) or install cost (if paying someone else). The 2021+ suspension is softer and rides better, but it still doesn't ride great and the handling+ride both fall apart if pushed hard. The overall ride/handling tradeoff is not any better IMO.

That said, if you've had good seat time in a 2021+ and liked the suspension, by all means go for it! You should be able to find the parts for cheap, heck they're quite cheap even brand new from Tesla, if I recall the price quotes that I've seen shared here.