Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P in New England

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I have a question for the M3P owners from the North East running on the 20' wheels. Since the car comes with summer performance tires do you keep them year round or do you have a second set winter tires? I am not interested in keeping a second set of tires, so I was wondering if it is a good idea to use the stock tires? If its snow I don't plan on using the car, but I will use it once the roads are clean. Any issues with path holes? (I understand the benefits of winter/summer tires, so no need to explain how important it is to have the appropriate tires for each season).

Thanks!

We've had a few people report very easily bending their rims with the 20"s around Boston area. It's not a practical setup given how crappy roads are around here. That to me is a bigger concern than cherrypicked winter traction considerations.

You don’t want to use the Michelin PS4S tires in the cold. The rubber can and will crack. Also summer rubber will be dangerous to drive on in cold weather, the rubber hardens up so much since they are optimized for warm weather grip. If it snows, forget it, don't even think about driving it.

Also, the OEM 20" wheels are very probe to bending. The small sidewall, heavy car, and wheels that aren't forged all contribute to a high likelihood of bending wheels. The good news is the wheels and tires that come with the car are easily worth $2500-$3000. You can buy a nice set of forged 19" wheels and put all seasons on them for not a whole lot more (or less depending what you get).

PSA: If your Model 3 has Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires please be careful driving in cold temperatures : RealTesla

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - compound cracking damage from near freezing?

"Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.
Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced."

I would not run those OEM 20" Rim's in New England. Folks even complain about bending them in Southern CA.
The potholes are fixed by October and then we start the cycle over.

I saw one local town crew the other day patching a road. He was just dumping asphalt in the holes and not even packing it down.
I was the lucky first car to "pack it". Ugh. Rocks kicking up like crazy. And it was a "short cut" a passenger co-worker recommended.

I just switched from Aero's to 19" OEM. I hope it wasn't a mistake.

There are aftermarket 19's, 18's and stronger 20's you can get. You can sell the OEM 20's to some inexperienced sap ;)

Thank you all for your responses and wisdom! My other cars are running on all season tires. My CX9 is on 20' rims but so far (20k miles) haven't seen any issue, of course, the rubber plays a big role here. I have been considering the M3 for a while but for some reason (can't explain) I am not a 100% sure. Rented an LR rear drive on turo for a few days but still, it wasn't enough to convince me. The road noise is a big factor. I got spoiled with the Mazda's quiet cabin to the point that I don't want to touch my wife's X3 35i anymore.

Thank you all for your responses and wisdom! My other cars are running on all season tires. My CX9 is on 20' rims but so far (20k miles) haven't seen any issue, of course, the rubber plays a big role here. I have been considering the M3 for a while but for some reason (can't explain) I am not a 100% sure. Rented an LR rear drive on turo for a few days but still, it wasn't enough to convince me. The road noise is a big factor. I got spoiled with the Mazda's quiet cabin to the point that I don't want to touch my wife's X3 35i anymore.

What is the tire size? With a bit more sidewall 20" is ok, but 35 series on a 235 just doesn't seem to cut it.

P255/50R20

Yea, there you go, a lot more sidewall. It's a wider tire and a higher series. It has more sidewall than the 18" model 3 even. That's why you haven't had any issues with your CX9.

Compared to P3D+ wheels/tires:
upload_2019-5-6_12-45-6.png

Compared to 18" OEM Model 3 Tires:
upload_2019-5-6_12-46-45.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-6_12-46-29.png
    upload_2019-5-6_12-46-29.png
    151.6 KB · Views: 43