Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P vs MYP driving dynamics and ride quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have both 3 and Y performance models, with same tires. In my opinion the 3 is too soft and the Y is just a hair too stiff. I installed MPP comfor non adjustable coilovers on the 3 and will probably leave the y as is. Ride comfort is still the best in the 3. The y has a boomy resonance at times that is annoying, but for a sporty feel it actually seems to take corners better, except the higher seating position.

We have both 3 and Y performance models, with same tires. In my opinion the 3 is too soft and the Y is just a hair too stiff. I installed MPP comfor non adjustable coilovers on the 3 and will probably leave the y as is. Ride comfort is still the best in the 3. The y has a boomy resonance at times that is annoying, but for a sporty feel it actually seems to take corners better, except the higher seating position.
We have two Model 3s with both the MPP comfort and sport adjustable coilover kits on them (both fabulous) and last year, I drove a performance Model Y. I was expecting not to be impressed but actually the ride-handling balance was fairly impressive. At the same time I could really tell the difference in weight between the vehicles and the Y felt very much like my car loaded with two big people in it. I could also detect the large difference in unsprung weight with those massive and very heavy wheels and tires. The MYP simply didn't have the tossability of the Model 3P (although that's not a fair comparison because my car had been extensively modified and has way better turn in than it did when it was stock). That said, it's pretty impressive for a 4400 lb crossover. It will be really interesting to see what weight reduction is possible with the structural battery pack and the two front and rear castings. If you take 200 lb off the model Y you would have the sportiest crossover around and 200 lb off the model 3 is just a delicious prospect.

My project for the spring is to scrape together some funds to help my daughter get a performance model Y. Then I'm going to get her some forged wheels and get rid of those boat anchors. Maybe at some point an MPP coilover kit even.

Last edited:
2021+ have reduced compression damping for a better ride quality. Rebound remains unchanged for a sloppy recovery and not very confident inspiring. Subframe bushing remains soft with lots of deflection. Pogo stick affect is worse with coilovers and higher spring rates.

We have two Model 3s with both the MPP comfort and sport adjustable coilover kits on ….
Yeah, it’s pretty impressive considering How much parts sharing is between the two vehicles. The wider track and more rubber definitely feels solid. The 3 is more fun, but out of the box way too mushy when you compare the two. First world problems.

Reactions: dfwatt
Yeah, it’s pretty impressive considering How much parts sharing is between the two vehicles. The wider track and more rubber definitely feels solid. The 3 is more fun, but out of the box way too mushy when you compare the two. First world problems.
Yes for sure almost every problem discussed on this website with great passion is a first world problem!:D

it’s a tough choice as I went through the same one.

I chose the M3P why?
MS was really big and felt/drove heavy but did have refinements that I liked but it was to big/long.
MYP I just didn’t like how it drove and corners if feels too heavy compared to the M3P. However, with the hatchback you get a lot more space so I was torn for this reason.

IMPORTANT- for ride quality take the tire pressure to like 36-38. It will definitely cushion the ride more as stock is 42 (cold)

Reactions: tm1v2
I was very lucky to buy what I believe is the ideal Tesla - a 2019 Stealth M3P.

I live in NJ which has some terrible roads and wanted the Performance but not the heavy, easily damaged 20 wheels/tire package.

The Stealth version came with the full Performance powertrain and track software, standard 18 Aero wheels/ Michelin tires, standard brakes and no spoiler.. The wheels and tires are much lighter so performance is noticeably better and the taller tire sidewall gives a much more comfortable ride. I would have liked the larger brakes but the $5,000 lower price on the Stealth Performance more than made up for it.

Unfortunately the Stealth edition was very difficult to find at the time and is no longer available.

There is probably a large market for a NEW Stealth version of the Y.

It would be helpful to hear from current MYP owners who have created their own Stealth version by changing to a smaller wheel / tire for their thoughts.

I was very lucky to buy what I believe is the ideal Tesla - a 2019 Stealth M3P.

I live in NJ which has some terrible roads and wanted the Performance but not the heavy, easily damaged 20 wheels/tire package.

The Stealth version came with the full Performance powertrain and track software, standard 18 Aero wheels/ Michelin tires, standard brakes and no spoiler.. The wheels and tires are much lighter so performance is noticeably better and the taller tire sidewall gives a much more comfortable ride. I would have liked the larger brakes but the $5,000 lower price on the Stealth Performance more than made up for it.

Unfortunately the Stealth edition was very difficult to find at the time and is no longer available.

There is probably a large market for a NEW Stealth version of the Y.

It would be helpful to hear from current MYP owners who have created their own Stealth version by changing to a smaller wheel / tire for their thoughts.
@Rachmaninov I believe PUP was optional on MYP initially too, in other words there are some factory "stealth" MYP around.

However MYP doesn't get Track Mode, so I assume stealth MYP is literally just quicker 0-60, zero other differences from MYLR AWD. That's fine but it's not the same driving benefit as a stealth M3P over M3LR AWD.

@Rachmaninov I believe PUP was optional on MYP initially too, in other words there are some factory "stealth" MYP around.

However MYP doesn't get Track Mode, so I assume stealth MYP is literally just quicker 0-60, zero other differences from MYLR AWD. That's fine but it's not the same driving benefit as a stealth M3P over M3LR AWD.
Somewhat lowered suspension ride height question possible shock differences but I don't know for sure. Either way the Mountain Pass comfort adjustable kit is a no-brainer

The wheels and tires are much lighter so performance is noticeably better
Extraordinary claims require evidence. First though, you must define "performance" since some of us like to go around corners, not just in a straight line.

There's a couple big threads on how much difference lighter wheels make on a 4200 lb car:

Your butt is way better than most if it can detect a 0.05s change in 0-60 times.

Reactions: EVolv3d
If you came from German luxury sports sedan/SUV,. I would buy BMW i4 M50 or even Porsche Taycan if you can afford to.
Your test driving of MYP explains everything about why. M3P does not have much better ride quality. Both of cars have no adaptive dampers so ride quality is not that great no matter which tire you choose.
Don't listen people who didn't own and drive luxury vehicles like you do, as they will say ride quality is good. They say so as ride quality is relative term.

• Funny
Reactions: dfwatt