Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P: Which Tires wear faster- Front of Rear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still have a decent amount of thread left on the summer Pirellis that came with the car when new.
Now that these are off the car (currently using snow tires mounted on their own wheels), I noticed that two of the Pirellis have slightly more thread left than the other two, but I do not remember on which axle they were mounted.

Question: to best equalize wear between front and rear tires, which axle gets more wear on the M3P?

P.S.: Tried to edit subject line, to change "of" to "or", but could not find a way.

Last edited:
Read all the feedback above, but just wanted to confirm my understanding and to see if this normal what's happening on my car/tires. Have 22' M3P with stock Ubers/Pirellis. Car has approx 9.7K miles and is lowered on MPP Sport coilovers at recommended height and alignment done after install. I've rotated the wheels once at around 5K miles or so. I just took tread depth measurements and the fronts are 7/32 and the rears are 4/32. All tires are wearing evenly and cold tire pressures at 42 psi. Is this normal wear between the fronts and rears? Should I rotate the tires again now? Had thought that it's best to keep the good tires on the fronts. Thanks in advance!

Read all the feedback above, but just wanted to confirm my understanding and to see if this normal what's happening on my car/tires. Have 22' M3P with stock Ubers/Pirellis. Car has approx 9.7K miles and is lowered on MPP Sport coilovers at recommended height and alignment done after install. I've rotated the wheels once at around 5K miles or so. I just took tread depth measurements and the fronts are 7/32 and the rears are 4/32. All tires are wearing evenly and cold tire pressures at 42 psi. Is this normal wear between the fronts and rears? Should I rotate the tires again now? Had thought that it's best to keep the good tires on the fronts. Thanks in advance!
@reds2k1 Just some thoughts...
  1. What were your tread depths when you rotated the wheels at 5k miles?
  2. Since you've done almost equal miles before and after 1 rotation, the mismatched wear between front and rear does seem odd. (I assume you swapped front<->back on each side.)
  3. However since you're getting even wear across each tire, I wouldn't worry about it. Just rotate them again now.
  4. At what mileage did you install the coilovers? Maybe your driving habits have changed with MPP Sports ;), disproportionately affected the current rear tires.

5. "keep good tires on the front" - That sounds way too vague and generic. Who suggested it? What did they mean by "good tires?" And why did they think the "good tires" should be on the front?
    • Frankly I would ignore that advice. It's almost certainly wrong for you. Just consider your actual situation and goals.
    • If your primary goal is even tire wear, then rotate now, that should be clear.
    • I doubt there is any big difference in grip between your 4/32 and 7/32 tires.
    • Your 7/32 tires probably have better hydroplaning resistance though. Conventional wisdom for most drivers and cars would be to put the higher tread depth tires on the rear, for this reason.
    • Since the Model 3 is RWD or rear-biased AWD, and also weighs a bit more in the rear, it pretty much 100% makes sense to move those higher tread depth tires to the rear.
    • (On a hypothetical FWD car with this mismatched tread depth situation, if it was known for wearing out front tires quickest, then you'd have to decide what's more important, even wear or having the best hydroplaning resistance in the back.)

@reds2k1 Just some thoughts...
  1. What were your tread depths when you rotated the wheels at 5k miles?
  2. Since you've done almost equal miles before and after 1 rotation, the mismatched wear between front and rear does seem odd. (I assume you swapped front<->back on each side.)
  3. However since you're getting even wear across each tire, I wouldn't worry about it. Just rotate them again now.
  4. At what mileage did you install the coilovers? Maybe your driving habits have changed with MPP Sports ;), disproportionately affected the current rear tires.

5. "keep good tires on the front" - That sounds way too vague and generic. Who suggested it? What did they mean by "good tires?" And why did they think the "good tires" should be on the front?
    • Frankly I would ignore that advice. It's almost certainly wrong for you. Just consider your actual situation and goals.
    • If your primary goal is even tire wear, then rotate now, that should be clear.
    • I doubt there is any big difference in grip between your 4/32 and 7/32 tires.
    • Your 7/32 tires probably have better hydroplaning resistance though. Conventional wisdom for most drivers and cars would be to put the higher tread depth tires on the rear, for this reason.
    • Since the Model 3 is RWD or rear-biased AWD, and also weighs a bit more in the rear, it pretty much 100% makes sense to move those higher tread depth tires to the rear.
    • (On a hypothetical FWD car with this mismatched tread depth situation, if it was known for wearing out front tires quickest, then you'd have to decide what's more important, even wear or having the best hydroplaning resistance in the back.)
1. Unfortunately, I didn't take tread depth measurements at the time of rotation. Got the car on June 11, 2022 new.
2. I did the normal rotation. Front to back and rear crossed to front.
3. Thanks will do.
4. Again, I didn't record or remember the mileage but I installed the coilers over the Xmas/New Year break and did my alignment on 1/7/23. I do drive more aggressively now on occasion.
5. Sorry, I meant "higher tread depth" tires.

Alignment sheets attached.
IMG_0535.jpgIMG_0536.jpg

Reactions: tm1v2
Just to chime in, my 2021 M3P's rear Pzeros were nearing the wear bar at a touch over 11k miles, more wear towards the inner thread. Stock suspension. Never rotated them bc I'm lazy. Fronts were still looking good. FYI, I mash the pedal frequently or when traffic conditions allow.

Reactions: reds2k1