Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MA - EV license plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got delivery of a new leased Model 3 yesterday at the Dedham store and I just realized the registration/license plates they gave me are not EV plates.

Did they stop giving EV plates or this is a mistake? Should I call and fight this or there is really no benefit of having EV this plates?

Thoughts on how to proceed?

I got delivery of a new leased Model 3 yesterday at the Dedham store and I just realized the registration/license plates they gave me are not EV plates.

Did they stop giving EV plates or this is a mistake? Should I call and fight this or there is really no benefit of having EV this plates?

Thoughts on how to proceed?
To my understanding, there is no benefit to an EV plate beyond ego. At this point most everybody recognizes the Tesla T as an EV. First responders certainly recognize it as an EV.
There is no obligation for Tesla to register it as such. It probably costs more and you were charged for std registration. Again, way more pressing things to lose sleep over.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
To my understanding, there is no benefit to an EV plate beyond ego. At this point most everybody recognizes the Tesla T as an EV. First responders certainly recognize it as an EV.
There is no obligation for Tesla to register it as such. It probably costs more and you were charged for std registration. Again, way more pressing things to lose sleep over.

I kept my Veteran plate for these reasons. There is zero benefit to an EV plate, but if I happen to get pulled over for some "spirited acceleration", the Veteran plate is more likely to lighten the officer's mood. (I know this, because it happened the week after I took delivery.) LOL

I met a Mass. State official at an EV event at Worcester Polytechnic institute a couple of years ago. I forget his name, but he works for one of the energy-related offices in the state. Anyhow, he said he was involved in creating the EV plate and that its initial purpose was to help first responders recognize vehicles that have batteries, because they have to fight any fire differently if a battery is involved, and would want to disconnect the battery in the event of a severe crash. Most likely the most common early use was for hybrids.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and srs5694
I met a Mass. State official at an EV event at Worcester Polytechnic institute a couple of years ago. I forget his name, but he works for one of the energy-related offices in the state. Anyhow, he said he was involved in creating the EV plate and that its initial purpose was to help first responders recognize vehicles that have batteries, because they have to fight any fire differently if a battery is involved, and would want to disconnect the battery in the event of a severe crash. Most likely the most common early use was for hybrids.
Tesla and other EV manufacturers provide documentation to first responders on where, under the body high voltage is and what needs to be severed. Prior to the Model 3 seeing a Tesla was incredibly rare.

I heard a similar claim at an EV event in Rhode Island in 2016. I'd expect this tip-off to first responders would be more important for a Kia, Ford, VW, etc., than for a Tesla, since I'd expect most first responders would know that a Tesla is an EV, with or without the EV plate; whereas other manufacturers' EVs are usually less distinctive. Since they're often compliance cars built on the same platform as ICE vehicles, it'd be easy for a first responder to mistakenly think that, say, a Kia Niro EV is an ICE vehicle.

That said, when I registered my Model 3, I did explicitly ask for an EV plate, just to provide whatever tiny extra bit of safety that might give first responders. I don't think I'd bother replacing a regular plate with an EV plate, though; there's probably more risk of an accident from an extra trip to the DMV than that a first responder wouldn't recognize a Tesla as an EV.

I heard a similar claim at an EV event in Rhode Island in 2016. I'd expect this tip-off to first responders would be more important for a Kia, Ford, VW, etc., than for a Tesla, since I'd expect most first responders would know that a Tesla is an EV, with or without the EV plate; whereas other manufacturers' EVs are usually less distinctive. Since they're often compliance cars built on the same platform as ICE vehicles, it'd be easy for a first responder to mistakenly think that, say, a Kia Niro EV is an ICE vehicle.

That said, when I registered my Model 3, I did explicitly ask for an EV plate, just to provide whatever tiny extra bit of safety that might give first responders. I don't think I'd bother replacing a regular plate with an EV plate, though; there's probably more risk of an accident from an extra trip to the DMV than that a first responder wouldn't recognize a Tesla as an EV.
True, keep in mind though in 2016 seeing a Tesla was a rare event. There were more UFO sightings that Model S sightings.

We've had Prius' since 2005. Never an EV plate. I don't even believe MA had them then, we were in MA at that time, moved to CT in 2014. I did grow up in RI though.

It’s not something you “order”. My first one Tesla just automatically gave me when they registered the car at pickup. 2nd one was a car I registered at DMV and they asked which one I wanted. Next Tesla they didn’t ask and didn’t give me one. But I prefer the plate they gave me. It has an M an X and a 7 in it. I have a 7 seat Model X.

Not 100% sure EV are still being issued. You can try calling SC and ask if they can still issue them. They don’t really gain you anything. You could also try calling DMV.