Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maine EV rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gwgan

Almost a wagon
Aug 11, 2013
Maine
$2.5M from VW settlement can now be spent on EV purchases in Maine. $2000 for the private buyer, more for special groups. Only 240 mile range Model 3 qualifies among the Teslas. (wish they included dual-motor but RWD is fine for most). A form must be filed within 30 days of purchase to get the rebate. Non-Teslas can have the rebate applied at time of purchase by the dearer.
EV Accelerator Rebates | Efficiency Maine
As of this posting the Model 3 detail data is incorrect on their website but they are aware and will be making corrections.

• Informative
Reactions: RiverBrick
The way I understand these programs is that they are set up to incentivize those who would otherwise not have the financial resources to pay the "battery tax" as a means to enlarge the customer base while assuming those who can afford more expensive cars will buy at the same rate regardless of incentive. It is not a thank-you offering but a way to stimulate a nascent market when the cost of goods is still relatively high.

Please give feedback directly to the program. Since they have an eligibility list the more attractive dual motor 310 mile range Model 3 priced under $50k should be on it to maximize the customer base. I've asked about this already but the more they hear it the more likely it is to get added.

FYI the Long Range Dual Motor Model Y, currently the only model available, will not be on the Availability List because MSRP is over $50k. The base Model Y price is $41k so that version will be eligible.

As of email this Monday morning “long-range Model Y will be eligible for a rebate so long as the total purchase price is below $50,000”

The program site says
Must have a manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP), less destination/delivery charges, that does not exceed $50,000 and no other discounts, deductions, credits or rebates are to be counted in the eligibility determination calculation.

Last edited:
Yes. I had been pegging to get a Model 3 in order to get the rebate but got wind of the price drop to $49,990 over last weekend. I called Maine EV right away Monday morning and spoke w/ Anastasia. Wanted to know if I could add paint/wheels etc that would bump the price >$50K. After convo, she said paints/wheels would make any Model Y ineligible, so I went and ordered the LR AWD White that very day!

She also said she would update the rebate submission website to add Model Y to the submission form (here: Efficiency Maine EV Rebate Application Form). The "eligible list" (here: Eligible Vehicles) wasn't updated yet that day but it looks like it has been now.

Hoping to get the MY soon and I'll update thread with my experience w/ Maine EV in getting the rebate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Screenshots here!
Model Y.png Model Y 2.png

Reactions: Gwgan
Yes. I had been pegging to get a Model 3 in order to get the rebate but got wind of the price drop to $49,990 over last weekend. I called Maine EV right away Monday morning and spoke w/ Anastasia. Wanted to know if I could add paint/wheels etc that would bump the price >$50K. After convo, she said paints/wheels would make any Model Y ineligible,

I spoke with Efficiency Maine as well a few months ago. I was told, and it's on their website, that the limit to the rebate is 50k *less any destination/delivery charges*. This means that Tesla's 1200.00 destination fee, will actually help meet the criteria of 50k- "Must have a manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP), less destination/delivery charges, that does not exceed $50,000 and no other discounts, deductions, credits or rebates are to be counted in the eligibility determination calculation. "

In other words, as long as Tesla will charge you a destination fee of 1200.00, you can get a car that is up to 51,199.99. That all being said, I would double check this with them if you decide to act on this information because the other sense I got from them is that they make up the rules and whatever they decide goes- hence them being able to add the Y to their list same day based on a request.

My current consideration based on this info is to get a Y with white interior for just that 1k more.

I spoke with Efficiency Maine as well a few months ago. I was told, and it's on their website, that the limit to the rebate is 50k *less any destination/delivery charges*. This means that Tesla's 1200.00 destination fee, will actually help meet the criteria of 50k- "Must have a manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP), less destination/delivery charges, that does not exceed $50,000 and no other discounts, deductions, credits or rebates are to be counted in the eligibility determination calculation. "

In other words, as long as Tesla will charge you a destination fee of 1200.00, you can get a car that is up to 51,199.99. That all being said, I would double check this with them if you decide to act on this information because the other sense I got from them is that they make up the rules and whatever they decide goes- hence them being able to add the Y to their list same day based on a request.

My current consideration based on this info is to get a Y with white interior for just that 1k more.

I'm bummed that the price minus delivery fee for my Model Y didn't come out to 48,990. Turns out the 41,000 plus 8,990for LR AWD puts me right at the $49,990 :( Anything I add feature-wise would put me over the top of rebate eligibility.

price.png

I'm bummed that the price minus delivery fee for my Model Y didn't come out to 48,990. Turns out the 41,000 plus 8,990for LR AWD puts me right at the $49,990 :( Anything I add feature-wise would put me over the top of rebate eligibility.

View attachment 568664

assuming efficiency Maine sticks to what they said yeah the only option you can get is the white interior. The 20 inch wheels are 2k unfortunately