Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maintenance Schedule or Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll say it AGAIN. You people who have been hypnotized into doing a MUST HAVE service, Tesla will allow you to spend your money.

You people who can realize this is not a standard gas car will realize there is nothing to service other than tires and windshield wipers. Brakes are rarely used, and water gets into a brake system mainly at the pistons and rotors. There is no oil to change, there is no transmission (just a reduction gear), there is no exhaust system or cooling system full of water, though there is some cooling for the battery which includes AC. Tire alignment is done poorly or well at both Tesla and any other tire shop. They all have access to the alignment data.

But generally, "Service" doesn't exist. Tesla calls it an "inspection". Any garage can fill the wiper fluid and check the brake fluid. Any owner can add wiper fluid or put air into tires. Or, heck, get your garage to do it and pay extra. I take mine to a local body shop, saving me time and money.

Seems like every week someone wants to know about service on their new Tesla and we go through this again. There is NO SERVICE. Drive it until you have a problem, then get it fixed. I have driven two Model Esses near 80,000 miles each, no service. Sold one, still driving the second one, have a Model 3 with a few thousand on it. NO SERVICE.

Please, take a deep breath, relax, and drive.

Last edited:
But generally, "Service" doesn't exist. Tesla calls it an "inspection".
Unfortunately Tesla disagrees with you. Tesla actually calls it an "Annual Service Inspection". While I agree that it is mostly unnecessary and what Tesla charges is highway robbery, they do recommend it (since they aren't legally allowed to require it, which they originally tried to do).

In addition when you go to sell the car, most buyers are going to ask "Do you have the service records" if you say no, they're going to demand a lower price.

Reactions: C141medic
Looks like he's not rogue - The Google led me to Tesla's official Model S maintenance plans with pricing: Maintenance Plans | Model S and Model X
Yes those are the Model S and X plans. You’re completely missing the point. They’re not the Model 3 mIntenance plans because there isn’t a Model 3 mIntenance plan. The “rogue” manager took the S and X plans and said they’re also for the Model 3– which they are not.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Unfortunately Tesla disagrees with you. Tesla actually calls it an "Annual Service Inspection". While I agree that it is mostly unnecessary and what Tesla charges is highway robbery, they do recommend it (since they aren't legally allowed to require it, which they originally tried to do).

In addition when you go to sell the car, most buyers are going to ask "Do you have the service records" if you say no, they're going to demand a lower price.

Welllll... Annual "Service" is not the same as a "Service Inspection". Anyone asking me for service records will get my full response: It's not required, and they can demand away as they wish, the price is set. Please step away from in front of other customers.

Having privately sold a Tesla, which I doubt many people have done, I can say my buyer did not ask for "service records", although I do believe he took it to Tesla after the sale and had them "inspect" it, though I don't know. Anyone could do that.

Pretty much all of the "Service" stuff comes from keeping a gas engine running. But as I said, if you are willing to pay for it, Tesla will be glad to take your money. Whatever. Many of us older Tesla owners do NOT recommend service "inspection" intervals, but you are allowed to spend your money as you wish. Myself, not having much money and lucky enough to be able to think for myself, I won't do it.

On another front, I did not take my new Model 3 on a test drive before I bought it, either. I bought it sight unseen, never having physically touched one. These are not the days of gas burning cars, do with that as you will.

Yes those are the Model S and X plans. You’re completely missing the point. They’re not the Model 3 mIntenance plans because there isn’t a Model 3 mIntenance plan. The “rogue” manager took the S and X plans and said they’re also for the Model 3– which they are not.

Ah - gotcha. Had to go all the way back to this post in the other thread to catch that: Model 3 (Maintenance Plan & Costs) HELP!!

lol... "rogue" "mintenance" - sounds like a cool candy bar or a sorry brit-pop band ;)

• Funny
Reactions: souslik
I thought service on the Model S & X was optional anyway, not of it was required.
Have to admit that I don't understand the need to flush the brake system at two years, when did this start becoming a thing?
Its optional for the standard warranty(Tesla legally can't make it required for the standard warranty), it is required for the extended warranty.

Brake fluid flush's every year became standard when they realized they could make a lot of money on it.

Welllll... Annual "Service" is not the same as a "Service Inspection". Anyone asking me for service records will get my full response: It's not required, and they can demand away as they wish, the price is set. Please step away from in front of other customers.

Having privately sold a Tesla, which I doubt many people have done, I can say my buyer did not ask for "service records", although I do believe he took it to Tesla after the sale and had them "inspect" it, though I don't know. Anyone could do that.

Pretty much all of the "Service" stuff comes from keeping a gas engine running. But as I said, if you are willing to pay for it, Tesla will be glad to take your money. Whatever. Many of us older Tesla owners do NOT recommend service "inspection" intervals, but you are allowed to spend your money as you wish. Myself, not having much money and lucky enough to be able to think for myself, I won't do it.

On another front, I did not take my new Model 3 on a test drive before I bought it, either. I bought it sight unseen, never having physically touched one. These are not the days of gas burning cars, do with that as you will.

Not disagreeing with anything you say, but I do believe that Tesla stipulates that if someone purchases an extended warranty from them for a Tesla vehicle that the annual service inspections are mandatory.

Reactions: Az_Rael
What about the cabin air filter on the 3? Anyone know how often it is supposed to be changed, or even where it is?

I currently have 8500 miles and am starting to wonder about that filter. I prefer to change them often as I live in the desert. I am waiting to be set up for a mobile service visit for some other issues, I may ask them how much a new filter is then.

Reactions: cellogig
I went looking for information on brake fluid flushes.
Turns out its just like changing engine oil every 3000 miles - its just a money maker for service organizations with no modern basis in fact.
A more reasonable statement would be to check the fluid quality first, then replace if needed.

Reactions: outdoors
I went looking for information on brake fluid flushes.
Turns out its just like changing engine oil every 3000 miles - its just a money maker for service organizations with no modern basis in fact.
A more reasonable statement would be to check the fluid quality first, then replace if needed.
Yes. I just had my Roadster in for its annual service (not optional, as these cars tend to vacuum up a lot of dirt and leaves and pack them into the PEM and motor), and the service tech said that it was due (probably over due) for both the brake and battery coolant flushes. But he also said that they both looked really clean, and said that if it were his car he'd wait on them. So, we'll pick it up next year.

Have to admit that I don't understand the need to flush the brake system at two years, when did this start becoming a thing?

Fluid gets old and needs to be replaced. Moisture gets into the lines reduces braking.

Every car to date has a two year brake fluid flush maintenance item. No matter how much or little you use the brakes. I don’t see how tesla brakes are different than a ICE car. Might use them less. But doesn’t prevent moisture from getting in.

Well, this has been very interesting. It's a hopeful sign that Tesla is not carrying forward their $600/yr routine annual service approach for a car that doesn't need much servicing: supposedly! Over five years, I've taken my Model S in twice for routine servicing, but it has been in quite a few times for various small things including a new 12V battery, tire rotations, and two (2!) new drive units.

My Model 3 sales person never mentioned maintenance and I never asked him. Eventually, I got to thinking about tire rotation, brought it by and they (Owings Mills) did it for free, but warned that wouldn't be the case much longer. Now I am negotiating with my former BMW mechanic (independent) to tackle things like a nail in a tire on a Tesla.

I hope we are moving in the direction of independent servicing for these cars in the long run, but I do wonder about the drive unit on the Model 3, which includes an oil filter. Maybe it's good for the life of the car since there is no grimy combustion going on anywhere near it, but one would like to know what the plan is there.

Independent mechanics raise the objection that Tesla does not make shop manuals available at anything resembling reasonable cost. So we are going to have to talk to Tesla about that, if they are going to abdicate maintenance responsibility.

I'll say it AGAIN. You people who have been hypnotized into doing a MUST HAVE service, Tesla will allow you to spend your money.

You people who can realize this is not a standard gas car will realize there is nothing to service other than tires and windshield wipers. Brakes are rarely used, and water gets into a brake system mainly at the pistons and rotors. There is no oil to change, there is no transmission (just a reduction gear), there is no exhaust system or cooling system full of water, though there is some cooling for the battery which includes AC. Tire alignment is done poorly or well at both Tesla and any other tire shop. They all have access to the alignment data.

But generally, "Service" doesn't exist. Tesla calls it an "inspection". Any garage can fill the wiper fluid and check the brake fluid. Any owner can add wiper fluid or put air into tires. Or, heck, get your garage to do it and pay extra. I take mine to a local body shop, saving me time and money.

Seems like every week someone wants to know about service on their new Tesla and we go through this again. There is NO SERVICE. Drive it until you have a problem, then get it fixed. I have driven two Model Esses near 80,000 miles each, no service. Sold one, still driving the second one, have a Model 3 with a few thousand on it. NO SERVICE.

Please, take a deep breath, relax, and drive.

Model 3 Maintenance notes

Waiting for Model 3 ( in the Netherlands ! ) I put together already some DIY maintenance notes at https://derderonde.nl/m3 Conclusion: annual check of tires, windshield wipers and key fob batteries, for the time being that will be all. Enjoy!

Ps
@roblab Used your post as introduction!

DrvHnDjWsAEcLF5.jpg