Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maintenance Schedule or Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't seen much discussion of the Model 3's suggested maintenance schedule or if Tesla ever came out with a prepaid plan. Is it like the S in that the maintenance visits are optional and don't affect the warranty? What are the plans of new Model 3 owners?

I contacted my local service center with this question and specifically asked for the price of brake fluid, battery coolant, and tire rotations. They said they do not yet have prices for the model 3. They said pricing for maintenance items and possibly maintenance plans are not to be expected for a year or so. They mentioned this happened on both the S and the X when they first came out.

The only thing they mentioned was the tire rotation was $175 so I said wow and have decided now to go elsewhere for that item.

He advised Tesla would be releasing the info on Tesla.com when available.

• Informative
Reactions: F_T_K and T-Will
Tesla is following the same ridiculous annual service fee for the 3 as they do for the S. The costs are the same as on a RWD S.

See this post here
No, “Tesla” isn’t following this schedule as is clear in the Maintenance section of the Model 3 owners manual. The post you cited was from one service center which obviously did this on their own as they didn’t have any direction from HQ yet. It hasn’t been seen anywhere else or it would be all over the forums. Someone there just made a wrong assumption, that’s all.

Reactions: SureValla and DR61
No, “Tesla” isn’t following this schedule as is clear in the Maintenance section of the Model 3 owners manual. The post you cited was from one service center which obviously did this on their own as they didn’t have any direction from HQ yet. It hasn’t been seen anywhere else or it would be all over the forums. Someone there just made a wrong assumption, that’s all.
The service centers are Tesla. It is one company. This is not a dealer going out on its own. Could be that a service manager made it up on his own, but why would he?
All of the components that are touched during the annual service on the S exist on the 3 too. How is Tesla going to say that they need to do their BS annual inspection on the S, but on the 3 its not needed? Not to mention that their service center numbers are going to look terrible if they don't have the massive profit from the annuals to offset the warranty costs.

The only reason they should need to see the car before 2 years is if you want to (over)pay them to rotate the tires or if there is something wrong with the car that needs servicing under warranty.

At 2 years the brake fluid needs to be replaced, they will probably charge a premium for that as well....

If they sell as many of these as they expect to it seems inevitable that 3rd party servicers will pop up who can do small jobs like bleeding the brakes without a trip to Tesla service to get it done.

Reactions: T-Will
Tesla is following the same ridiculous annual service fee for the 3 as they do for the S. The costs are the same as on a RWD S.

See this post here

The service centers are Tesla. It is one company. This is not a dealer going out on its own. Could be that a service manager made it up on his own, but why would he?
All of the components that are touched during the annual service on the S exist on the 3 too. How is Tesla going to say that they need to do their BS annual inspection on the S, but on the 3 its not needed? Not to mention that their service center numbers are going to look terrible if they don't have the massive profit from the annuals to offset the warranty costs.

I fully understand that. Yes, it appears this was one service manager going rogue.

Looks like he's not rogue - The Google led me to Tesla's official Model S maintenance plans with pricing: Maintenance Plans | Model S and Model X

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV
Good to hear !
I've been leery of changing brake fluid in my Prius cars because it is possible to mess up the operation of the regen. Not an issue with Tesla ?
And neither with a Prius. The hydraulic portion is quite standard and low tech and totally separate from regeneration. I would not worry until the brake fluid starts turning brown. I would bet 5-7 years.