Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

major facelift panel gap issues!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JoshG

Jun 23, 2011
Burlingame showroom has a red facelift car now, and while I like the new front end, the gaps in the body panel, especially around the frunk lid, are really huge. could just about get my pinky finger into the gap... not quite... but still, it's WAY bigger than any modern car i've seen. There were some other alignment issues where things just didn't line up properly too... all around the front of the car. see pics. It does remind me of early body-panel gap issues on the very earliest model S cars. Eventually it got better.

Let's hope they're just getting things up to speed and this will improve. I think if mine were delivered to me this way, I'd ask them to take it back until they got the body panels better aligned.

Interestingly, there was a customer's Model X nearby and I checked it out for comparison... no such issues. Looked perfect around the frunk.

IMG_6995.JPG

IMG_6994.JPG

IMG_6993.JPG

IMG_6992.JPG

IMG_6989.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: newtman
Was it at least even on both sides? Or was the other side narrower?
It was even on both sides... which actually concerned me more. Didn't seem like just attachment issues... seems like either the frunk lid panel is actually made too narrow (doubtful) or that the two side panels weren't attached as close to the lid as they should have been.

I've heard reports from others that the panel gaps inside and out on the refresh are significantly improved. This might just be a one-off. (All showroom refresh cars were a special run of the line)

I saw a customer car waiting to delivery and the hood alignment looked right. It's interesting that they changed the shape of the hood. I wonder if that contributes to both the range increase and the appearance of alignment problems on the early cars.