Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major Hotel Chain supporting Tesla charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is that a problem? You charge fully at home overnight with your single charger and you can charge fully at the hotel overnight with your single charger plugged into the hotel's HPWC. I wish more hotels did this. I don't know if the hotels have them on 100A or 50A circuits but there's really no need for them to go to the expense of 100A circuits for overnight charging.

Except that two Model S's could charge overnight, as long as the first driver was courteous enough to move their car when done.

So you are assuming the drivers will get up in the middle of the night to move their respective cars?

Better to have multiple charging spots (L2) in such high traffic areas.

Luxury hotels/resorts with high capacity chargers or High Power Wall Connectors located in their valet parking areas solve this problem nicely. The valets can swap multiple cars in and out of the available charging positions.

For example, our club has been active in convincing the Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lake to install high capacity charging. The hotel management was very responsive and installed two CS-100s in their valet parking area. I emailed our entire membership across the state of Florida and within a few hours of my announcement there were more Model Ss at the hotel than available charging connections. :biggrin:

Larry

Agreed. Deployment of charger stations is not well prioritized or coordinated now. There should be a hierarchy, depending on time scale of use:

0) Home: L1, L2 as needed
1) Long-distance travel en route: Superchargers
2) Short-stay (meals, shopping,...): haL2, 10kW-20kW
3) Overnight on the road: multiple L2, 6 kW-10kW
4) Long-stay (airport, ferry, resort parking) lots of L1 outlets

Perfectly summarized. Work places could even get by with L1 outlets too. While not ideal that would still give people with plug in vehicles over 20 miles of range for their commute and cheap to deploy until the market demands more low power L2 stations.

This means we have to let someone else drive our cars. :scared: I would still rather have more L2's available.

Don't worry, I just tell the valet to keep it under 100 mph. :wink:

Sure more is better, but sometimes we don't always get precisely what we want when others are footing the bill. :biggrin:

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

I don't get it. A hotel chain goes to put in HPCWs to attract Tesla customers and people find all sorts of reasons to criticize. This is unequivocally good. The glass is not 1/10th empty.

Hi Phil,

True. In theory we can criticize them for installing an HPWC with proprietary connector until you find yourself waiting in line behind a dozen Volts sipping electrons all day at an 80 amp charger.:wink:

In dealing with the Destination Charging Program folks at Tesla they tell me that their preferred approach is for hotels to supplement HPWCs with generic J1772 chargers. I completely agree with that position. When I'm trying to convince a hotel manager to install chargers, that's ideally what I try to convince them to do.

Larry