Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major issue with Hansshow auto frunk opener

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got the auto frunk installed on my M3 back in July, everything works just fine, used it a few times but not much, and today when I tried to open it... nothing, meaning it didn't even make a sound, the graphic on the screen and app showing its trying to open but then close right after, I've tried the emergency cable that came with the kit with no luck, and connect the jumping cables to the emergency power for the frunk and nothing. Everything else works just fine for the car. Is there any other way to open that frunk? Luckily I don't have anything in the frunt, but would need it open eventually for service in the future, so I have a little time to try and figured this out.

So I got the auto frunk installed on my M3 back in July, everything works just fine, used it a few times but not much, and today when I tried to open it... nothing, meaning it didn't even make a sound, the graphic on the screen and app showing its trying to open but then close right after, I've tried the emergency cable that came with the kit with no luck, and connect the jumping cables to the emergency power for the frunk and nothing. Everything else works just fine for the car. Is there any other way to open that frunk? Luckily I don't have anything in the frunt, but would need it open eventually for service in the future, so I have a little time to try and figured this out.
Have you contacted the manufacture for their advise?

From the wording above, to me it means that you had the opener installed for you. If so what did you installer say?

Stupid question time.... What enticed you to get this one over the EVOffer one if you knew about the aftersales service?

From the wording above, to me it means that you had the opener installed for you. If so what did you installer say?

Stupid question time.... What enticed you to get this one over the EVOffer one if you knew about the aftersales service?
Believe it or not, I did it myself, took me about 6 hours in real time. I only have the car since mid June, I didn't really read up on them when purchasing the product, just started reading about them after having the issue, and had left them messages on their what's app and online support, so far all I got is cricket noises, they did respond when I was asking about my order status back in June.

I don't know what they did, but the Tesla service center got mine opened. Turns out the motor that latches the frunk had water damage. They removed it. It still opens and closes, but I have to push it down now to latch it.
Thanks for the update, guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and bring it to the service center, it's probably gonna cost me an arm and a leg, but I want to keep them. I was blessed God gave me a spare liver...what's the going rate for a liver in the black market nowaday? 😥

My Hansshow frunk failed during the warranty period and they refused to honor their warranty. Tesla service charged me $675 to break into my frunk. I installed the EVOffer kit and never looked back.

Problem with Hansshow Support
From where I sit, the EVOffer unit appears to win hands down. I had their trunk kit installed on The Blue Bunny. It works great! Foot sensor hasn't worked since first day. No biggie, tho.
With the current pricing I think I will go with the EVOffer frunk kit. But I might investigate a manual release, perhaps hidden in the fenderwell.

UPDATE!!!
So this just happened, I waited thru the weekend, and planning to go to my friend's shop to see what he could do. I woke up this morning and decided to give it another try and yes, it opened! So I give it a few tries of opening and closing with the screen and the app, it was working just fine, then probably about the 5th time, it stopped working again, feeling defeated I went inside ate some breakfast and went out give it another shot and it's working again, but this time I'm leaving it open and put it back to normal, not dealing with it again. Stay away from hansshow.

Attachments

• 20220829_061131.jpg
    20220829_061131.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 1,602
What version number Frunk kit do you have?

Do you have the small suction motor - fitted below the lock or the large one that fits on the chassis member close to the steering rack?

Is your emergency release cable the type where it connects to the suction motor?

I installed V4.3 with small suction motor - I also added an emergency release cable to the primary release lever as I believe the emergency release cable on the small suction motor only connects up the release solenoids electrically when you pull the cable - so if 12v fails or a solenoid then the frunk will remain shut. my additional cable is connected mechanically so will always release no matter what.

Not sure what version, but my emergency release is also connected to the suction motor, I didn't know you could add another emergency release to the primary lever, but it doesn't matter at this point, hannshow was in contact with me until I request to return the item and they went silent. I'm not playing games with them, I'll just report them to the BBB, I'll take a lost on the purchase, and will post a thread to warn others from doing business with them.

Not sure what version, but my emergency release is also connected to the suction motor, I didn't know you could add another emergency release to the primary lever, but it doesn't matter at this point, hannshow was in contact with me until I request to return the item and they went silent. I'm not playing games with them, I'll just report them to the BBB, I'll take a lost on the purchase, and will post a thread to warn others from doing business with them.
I just fabricated a steel bracket like the one Hansshow used to supply and a trip to the local bike shop to get a brake cable - so i have the one behind the toe eye and my proper cable somewhere else. It just sounds like your suction motor is "Iffy" and needs changing.

I have tried to get Hansshow to explain how the emergency release system works on the motor with two cables - they haven't replied. I suspect It only an electrical release system as the suction motor has 6 electrical pins - so I presume when you pull the cable - the suction motor will mechanically release the cable so the secondary lock lever can move and then electrically connect up power to primary and secondary actuators to let the frunk open. Which can only work if there is power in the 12v battery and the two actuators haven't developed a fault or broken the cable that connects the actuators to the lock levers.

Thanks @Petro2S3XY . That confirms my suspicion, wonder why Hansshow couldn't have just told me this. looks like my additional emergency release cable is the way to go - and something Hansshow ought to offer as an additional extra with this type of motor.
So does that mean to first pull the emergency cable to “unlock the electric suction” then tap open the frunk through app/screen?

should the cable be pulled and held until it opens?

Final update on the matter.

They eventually responded, even though it took over a day or so since they operated out of China, because their messages are usually around nighttime or early in the morning. They granted me a full refund, even though I was expecting a restocking fees, but no, they gave me a full refund, they even offered me a 20% off on the CCS adapter, I guess you'll just have to be patient with them, and eventually they'll do the right thing, or maybe because I threatened to report them to the BBB, whatever the case may be, issued resolved.