Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major issues since V9 upgrade, anyone else???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*edit I only have to open a car door to unplug, not to plug in. With my phone in my pocket I can press the button on the charger to open the charge door. But I can't remove the charger unless I open a door?
Right, the car doesn’t unlock until you pull a door handle. That’s what we see on our 3 also. The car knows you are there, which should be good enough, but it’s not really good enough. :)

What does the app show? I bet it’s ‘locked’ and if you hit ‘unlock’ it will work. Same as when you trigger a door handle.

3’s work completely different from the S and X where it’s not strictly proximity. Which has pros and cons. :D

• Informative
Reactions: Glamisduner
Thanks so much for the feedback guys. I’ll try a reboot and see if that helps. Must admit I find these kinds of issues very frustrating. Not having music a fair bit of the time is a little nuts. Even though I love the comfort and performance, not sure I would have gone this route had I know. A good friend has an X and S and doesn’t seem to have they issues.

Ok, figured it out. The app now has a feature called Phone Key. When you pair a new phone to the car, you must click phone key, place your key card on the console, and wait for it to sync. In a couple of minutes, voila the phone was connected and working.

Ok, figured it out. The app now has a feature called Phone Key. When you pair a new phone to the car, you must click phone key, place your key card on the console, and wait for it to sync. In a couple of minutes, voila the phone was connected and working.
Right, Bluetooth is for media and phone use which is completely separate from Phone Key. Which is the ‘Key’. :D

You can be a key and not pair for media/phone use. Or have a fob (coming) and not be a key, or be both or neither (of course).

Point I was making is this is a change. Never had a phone key feature in the app when I originally set my phones up. The Tesla factory support rep had never seen this either. I found it when he and I were troubled shooting.
That’s weird because everything I’ve seen on the Tesla site in the last several weeks since I ordered the car talked about using ‘Phone Key’ to use your phone as a key. I thought it was the usual process. It must have appeared with what 3.6 or something of the app? It wasn’t v9, as the car came with v8.1 (32.7 something).

It must have been in preparation for the fob, to break out the key control from the media aspects as before there was no point in doing so.

Not experiencing the same issues, but learned something new when I spoke to Tesla support.

Soft reboot = holding both scroll wheels down until the screen restarts with the Tesla logo.
Hard reboot = holding the brake pedal + both scroll wheels down until the screen restarts with the Tesla logo.

Not sure this will help your situation, but thought I’d share this tidbit.

It fixed my issue of my car not charging when scheduled.

What's the functional difference between a 'soft reboot' and a 'hard reboot'?

What's the functional difference between a 'soft reboot' and a 'hard reboot'?
That’s the point, from our/user point of view there really isn’t one. A power off from the menu does a little more on the S and X but on the MCU 2 cars (and the 3) it doesn’t even seem to stay off; I’ve seen/heard the car reboot by itself.

You need to take the car apart to pull all power to really reset things. This happened to my X a year ago when a bad firmware trashed it and it had to be towed. It was called ‘pulling power to the gateway’.

All we can do (on a 3) is the two wheel reset. The power off from the menu does a little more and won’t do any harm.

Heck, holding the brake pedal reboot won’t do any harm. :D. It’s just not any different. It’s akin to the old tech support trick of blowing dust out of the end of cables to be *sure* you actually unplugged them (meaning you really restarted the device).

Source: been in IT for too many decades.

I showed my wife the Atari game and then put car in reverse. I was able to back up out of the parking spot, but then the car would not go into drive. The screen locked up. We were stuck blocking the pathway in the parking lot. I held the two steering wheel buttons down and during the reboot, I was able to put the car in drive and move out of everyone’s way. We won’t be playing Atari for awhile.

I showed my wife the Atari game and then put car in reverse. I was able to back up out of the parking spot, but then the car would not go into drive. The screen locked up. We were stuck blocking the pathway in the parking lot. I held the two steering wheel buttons down and during the reboot, I was able to put the car in drive and move out of everyone’s way. We won’t be playing Atari for awhile.
This is a great example of how "harmless stuff" like Easter eggs can cause serious problems.

Right, the car doesn’t unlock until you pull a door handle. That’s what we see on our 3 also. The car knows you are there, which should be good enough, but it’s not really good enough. :)

What does the app show? I bet it’s ‘locked’ and if you hit ‘unlock’ it will work. Same as when you trigger a door handle.

3’s work completely different from the S and X where it’s not strictly proximity. Which has pros and cons. :D

I have experienced this with my Model 3 as well. I have only had the car a few days, but I have struggled to get the charging plug out after charging. It seems that it has just not been unlocking. I expected that I just walk up with my phone in my pocket and push the button on the charging plug and pull it out. It hasn’t been quite that smooth. It seems like even when the T is white it still doesn’t want to come out. The last couple times I have used the app to unlock the charging port. Then I can remove the plug just fine.

The screen goes black and reboots when entering the car about 30% of the time.
I got the V9 version installed last night.
Today I was in my car with the car doors open in my garage.
I noticed that after a little while the screen was black.
The car seems to be asleep, but the doors were opened?
I don't know if this is a normal behavior be cause I have this car for few days,
but auctioning the right driving lever (P R D) had no action.
The app was not able to lock unlock the car.
However by pressing on the break pedal, the can weak up as usual.

The only bugs I've run into so far were that once music continued playing after locking the car (the screen was off, but I could hear music playing from the outside). I unlocked, manually paused, and re-locked. Hasn't happened again. Maybe I could've just paused it from my phone (bluetooth streaming). I also suspect I may have been able to drive once without tapping the key card behind the cupholder, similar to another thread I've seen, but I'm not 100% sure since I wasn't able to reproduce.

Haven't seen some of the other common bugs reported, e.g. corrupted USB drive if you don't pause/unpause the dashcam after parking.

very similar to what happened to me. screen froze, showed park instead of drive. couldn't tell for a minute what gear it was in .. luckily i wasn't blocking traffic like you were!

Second big issue was when the screen shut off while diving, glad i don't have to hit the brake while resetting if it happens again because that could be dangerous in the highway.

In my case no one around me probably thought anything was strange other than my blinker being in and my not knowing it until it completed the reboot.