Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major new software update coming!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon was quoted a few months back as saying that red light and stop sign recognition was coming soon. Nobody followed up to clarify whether the current sensor package could support that functionality.

Trip Planner fixes and enhancements (multi-legged travel, perhaps, along with not routing over the Great Lakes to SCs) would be well-received.

Elon was quoted a few months back as saying that red light and stop sign recognition was coming soon. Nobody followed up to clarify whether the current sensor package could support that functionality.

Trip Planner fixes and enhancements (multi-legged travel, perhaps, along with not routing over the Great Lakes to SCs) would be well-received.

I believe MobileEye which makes the hardware has some advertising stuff out there claiming their current generation can identify stoplights and stop signs. Tesla has not used their default firmware, but the hardware can do it. Unless I'm misremembering something.

Tesla's first autopilot demonstration with the press had this. But understand the system is a Beta. You can't have it fail at reading stop signs and traffic lights.

The cars are presently mapping, learning and improving, just because they don't react to stop signs and traffic lights presently, does mean they aren't registering and logging them. Again, you can't have Betas missing stop signals in intersections.

I'm sure these cars arn't reacting to 100 percent of what the suite and software are seeing. Tesla would be processing all the information for future updates though. Once the cars reliably sense signs with steep grade cautions for example, they might come off the power in anticipation of no longer needing to accelerate.

Last edited:
Tesla's first autopilot demonstration with the press had this. But understand the system is a Beta. You can't have it fail at reading stop signs and traffic lights.

The cars are presently mapping, learning and improving, just because they don't react to stop signs and traffic lights presently, does mean they aren't registering and logging them. Again, you can't have Betas missing stop signals in intersections.

I'm sure these cars arn't reacting to 100 percent of what the suite and software are seeing. Tesla would be processing all the information for future updates though. Once the cars reliably sense signs with steep grade cautions for example, they might come off the power in anticipation of no longer needing to accelerate.

While Google and others are testing very limited numbers of AP vehicles, Tesla is recording all that data to make the next version ever more accurate. It is brilliant. :biggrin:

What I don't get is if Autopilot is only supposed to be used on highways, generally speaking, why would red light sensing and stop signs matter? If their intent is to let AP work on regular roads, but they don't want to implement that until red lights and stop signs can be recognized, I guess that makes sense.

Off topic a bit, but since TM apparently isn't using MobileEye firmware, why are they using MobilEye at all? They just need a camera and they'd be good to go.

What I don't get is if Autopilot is only supposed to be used on highways, generally speaking, why would red light sensing and stop signs matter? If their intent is to let AP work on regular roads, but they don't want to implement that until red lights and stop signs can be recognized, I guess that makes sense.

Off topic a bit, but since TM apparently isn't using MobileEye firmware, why are they using MobilEye at all? They just need a camera and they'd be good to go.

I'm pretty sure that MobilEye is more than just a camera. They likely have tuned camera/lens system, along with special hardware and custom chips. Not sure how much of their existing software Tesla uses, but they may simply be customizing and adding on to the MobilEye software suite.

Autopilot today is intended for highway driving, but the goal is for complete autonomous driving. One of the reasons it's only intended for highways today is that it isn't great at detecting traffic lights and stop signs. To be autonomous, it also has to be able to detect traffic lights that are out of service and differentiate from ones under construction. It also has to detect one light in an otherwise functioning light that is out.

Tesla is writing at least some of their own code for the MobilEye hardware, but I suspect the low level code is still MobilEye's and Tesla is writing higher level code. I've been involved with a number of projects in my career where we had to use the lowest level software that came from the hardware manufacturer, but our job was to replace the middle and higher level code the manufacturer was using. A lot of chips today have code embedded by the manufacturer called microcode. For example the Intel processors that run most desktops and laptops now have microcode that drives the basic functions of the processor.

Even something as simple as a chip that handles USB has microcode in it to obey the USB protocol. A programmer writing the code for a new USB device wouldn't even have access to that microcode.