Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major system failure after car wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mash

Supporting Member
Nov 10, 2019
Prague
I don't know if anyone had this thing:
PSX_20200401_034429.jpg

UPDATE: It was damaged speed sensor cable.

So I installed summer wheels with new tpms, adjusted somewhat wheel sensor cable to not touch the rim, actively washed a car and 10 minutes later after acceleration on a highway suddenly got all that.

I don't have access to any working Service Center for next month. I suspect flooding, wheel sensor or cable disconnect. But for wheel sensor I don't understand tpms and steering assist failure.

Maybe somebody saw similar issue?
P.S. Restart, reset, power cycle, and even update 8.1->8.2 didn't change that - it happens right after I press the brake pedal to start a car.

Last edited:
Here is what I had pop up when my wheel speed sensor wiring rubbed on the drive unit and would short out occasionally. Powering off the car would get it to go away for me. Service center just spliced in a new section of wire to replace the bad section in the harness. If yours is constantly showing the error I'm guessing it's going to be a broken wire, a wire that it's worn through and constantly shorting out or a disconnected clip somewhere. That's assuming the car has had plenty of time to dry out.

What kind of car wash did you do? High pressure water could have moved something around and caused it to short or gotten into a harness.

Attachments

• 20191022_021356.jpg
    20191022_021356.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 77
I don't know if anyone had this thing:
View attachment 528150

So I installed summer wheels with new tpms, adjusted somewhat wheel sensor cable to not touch the rim, actively washed a car and 10 minutes later after acceleration on a highway suddenly got all that.

I don't have access to any working Service Center for next month. I suspect flooding, wheel sensor or cable disconnect. But for wheel sensor I don't understand tpms and steering assist failure.

Maybe somebody saw similar issue?
P.S. Restart, reset, power cycle, and even update 8.1->8.2 didn't change that - it happens right after I press the brake pedal to start a car.
Nerver happend this on my car , maybe loose or disconnected cable which got wet . same point

Here is what I had pop up when my wheel speed sensor wiring rubbed on the drive unit and would short out occasionally. Powering off the car would get it to go away for me. Service center just spliced in a new section of wire to replace the bad section in the harness. If yours is constantly showing the error I'm guessing it's going to be a broken wire, a wire that it's worn through and constantly shorting out or a disconnected clip somewhere. That's assuming the car has had plenty of time to dry out.

What kind of car wash did you do? High pressure water could have moved something around and caused it to short or gotten into a harness.
Thanks. It looks very similar except TPMS. It was high pressure wash and later I found tons of rust fell out inside of rims. Car should have dried by now - 3 days. I also wiped water that gone under the hood tray.

Apparently, with wider wheels and lower suspension you must slide rubber holders on wheel sensor to not end like that.

I carefully fixed cables with soldering and bunch of shrink tubes and issue solved for now.

Why on earth Tesla reporting TPMS failure instead of wheel sensor is beyond me. A bug? Because there is no tpms failure...

And they disable steering booster, I guess, to discourage you from driving without abs or esp or regen.