Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Makes me sad to hear many reviews of the New S complain about build quality!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car is amazing. But no-one's ever going to convince me that this is an optimum shape during a turn....
As the yoke is wider than the round steering wheel, and off-centered, isn't the visibility actually about the same or worse than the wheel while turning?

Yoke.gif

Reactions: TessP100D
... as well as the fact that the Tesla yoke is still the most annoying feature of Plaid, ever after driving the car for a couple of weeks.
The yoke is one of the most unique and fun aspects of the car. Visibility is much improved. I got used to it in literally 10minutes. One of my favorite toys on the car.

How many miles have you personally driven in a refreshed model s with a yoke in your hand and what are your hands-on thoughts?

Driving a ‘17 P100 X and still like it enough to just ordered another X plaid.
For those who are thinking of giving up on Tesla,,,, my local new car dealer selling almost all US made car has a empty car lot.
Also, those jumping ship,, if your are driving in a local area, other EV are ok, but on trips, your charge time are increasing big time.
My wife drives a Audi E-tron,,, and that’s the reason I just ordered another X!

The yoke is one of the most unique and fun aspects of the car. Visibility is much improved. I got used to it in literally 10minutes. One of my favorite toys on the car.

How many miles have you personally driven in a refreshed model s with a yoke in your hand and what are your hands-on thoughts?
@rory breaker Same; no real issue with the yoke or the turn signals yet; however, the other buttons are a PiTA. Having said that, I still prefer stalks.

Reactions: shellderp
Agreed. Porsche goes way over the top on options. BMW for example does have some odd options as well, but the color, interior, and wheel choices are very nice. I also like the option of upgraded sport seats and other changes like an M package or S-line (Audi) which adds alcantara, different stitching, and even a body kit.

It's a bummer that the Plaid looks the same as the base Model S outside of the badge, red brakes, and tiny spoiler.
Tesla had what I thought was a modest but reasonable and interesting variety of options back when I ordered my Model S in 2015. That was before models X and 3 appeared. It is puzzling and disappointing that they seem not to be able to manage the variety of options they had 6 years ago. it is as though they have forgotten how to do that....

Another Tesla to Taycan convert. Our 2018 Model X 100D was a great EV, but a poorly built car. For $115k it had really poor build quality and rattles. The doors and weather striping were a disaster. After a couple of long road trips, and coming no where near the rated mileage, or the charging speeds, we starting to consider other options. Today we have an Audi E-tron and a Porsche Taycan.

The E-tron which had an MSRP of $75k ($40k less than the Model X) has far superior build and ride quality. The range sucks, but it's charging speed makes up for the difference. No problem taking it from Colorado to Phoenix.

The Taycan is simply in another league. Yes it's not as fast as a Model S Plaid, but I don't drag race, and will never take the car to the track. So the insane acceleration is simply a party trick I don't need.

The Model 3 and Y are much more acceptable. I would definitely buy one if I was looking for anything in the $40k-$60k range. They still are relatively expensive in terms of build quality compared to equivalently price German sedans, but they are much closer overall. Plus at this price point the tech can easily out way some of the luxury features and quality issues. However, I just feel the Model S and X aren't very competitive any more. A lot of excellent EV's in this price range hitting the market. Too few luxury options (colors, wheels, interior features, massaging seats, etc), but command serious money. Add in the fit and finish and it becomes a tough sell.

The Model S LR would have been really competitive in the $60k range like the outgoing model, but now that it starts at $90k it's a tough sell. It was a refresh not a completely new model. If BMW released the new 5-series and increased the price by $20k, it would be unacceptable. The Plaid is in a league of its own in terms of acceleration, so I guess if that's your most important factor, it's a great deal. But like I said, it's a fun party trick, and not really the number one factor for most people buying luxury sports sedans in the $100k+ market.

The Model X is even worse. $100k+. With the Rivian R1S ($70k), BMW iX ($85k), new Audi E-tron ($70k), the Model X is going to be substantially more money with no real advantages other than charging network. As tons of new CCS chargers are added, along with Tesla opening up it's network, the advantage will be completely gone.

Like everyone else on here I want Tesla to succeed (and they will). I want everyone to convert from ICE vehicles to EV's. We have all of these great EV's today because Tesla took the lead. It's also completely reasonable to expect Tesla to build higher quality cars in the $90k+ price point.
Agree with just about everything you stated except for the refresh comment. The new S is a completely different car except for the exterior sheet metal. It is more new than most other OEM’s “new” models. On the value front, the new LR price is not that competitive IMO. I’ll consider ordering a new S once the bugs are worked out, demand has dropped, and the price starts in the $70k range again.

Zero minutes for me. I was simply highlighting what the youtuber said in the video linked in the post to which I was replying.

I might go try it out if Tesla offers Plaid test drives before my Taycan order locks, but given what I've seen so far, I suspect I won't like it. I know, you will say if you haven't experienced it you cannot judge whether or not you'd like it. That is not true, as for example I bet many people could be very sure they wouldn't enjoy bungee jumping, based purely on watching videos of other people doing it.

Amazing motor technology but even my p100d, 2 years old, has so many issues from not being able to take its own power. Rocky seats, motor replacement, acceleration shudder, rubber seals coming off, I hope plaid has fixed all these issues or it will be even worse from that extra power

Reactions: InternetDude
Zero minutes for me. I was simply highlighting what the youtuber said in the video linked in the post to which I was replying.

I might go try it out if Tesla offers Plaid test drives before my Taycan order locks, but given what I've seen so far, I suspect I won't like it. I know, you will say if you haven't experienced it you cannot judge whether or not you'd like it. That is not true, as for example I bet many people could be very sure they wouldn't enjoy bungee jumping, based purely on watching videos of other people doing it.
Zero minutes, got it.
nope I dont think you should get it. Enjoy the Taycan.
👍

Aren't you buy a Plaid? I am confused.

You must be from a different world to think that 50k more for inferior product and technology is a better value.

I think the paint issues are mostly because of CA regulations. It makes no sense to me that Tesla robots cannot paint well lol... I wonder how Tesla Shanghai cars paint compares.

Yes and it will be delivered in September. However, I'm a realist and even though I enjoy Tesla cars, I'm not blind in recognizing that after all these years they continue to have build quality issues.

Reactions: TessP100D
I am really confused about this thread. Is this a thread about the new 2021 Model S LR and Plaid or to talk about your old cars and bad experiences?

I really want to know how I am unformed because a Taycan RWD with a few options cost 100K 🤣 it is 84k of the gate with horrible aero cover. You should compare that car to a Model 3 Long Range since it can actually seat 5 people and it has better performance metric all around including cargo. Does the Taycan Turbo S Gulf doesn't overheat at the Japan EV-GT and gets passed by Model 3s?

800V just like the 2-speed transmission is a bunch for marketing BS. Current battery cells cannot take that rate of charge so is completely pointless. Like I said the Model S Plaid when tested achieve a faster charge rate "usable added range per time" then a Taycan on Ionity 350KW charger. Why are you even talking about warranties are new cells the same as the old cells? Is anyone of us will keep their car that long? what percent will?

As far as the Model S LR not being worth it at 90k; the 2020 Model S performance was a 90k car. I don't if you are aware that the new Model S Long Rage is a 10 second car has a higher trap speed in the 1/4 of mile than the performance the same as the Taycan at 129-130 mph. ET is not the same and slower at 10.8 seconds but I assume an acceleration boost add on will come and it will be faster than the old Performance Model S.

The new Model S is 90% refreshed and someone that has taking it apart would know like Blake Fuller. Suspension is all brand new, new battery pack, new cooling system, new chassis, new electronics and just because it looks like the old Model S it doesn't mean that it is.

You mention that straight line doesn't matter but then you talk about the Taycan brakes and suspension like some guy that daily drives a car would care. There is a better change that an owner will take their EV to a dragstrip or accelerate fast on the street than to take their car to a road course or take a turn on the street at 1g 😅.

Here is 3 actual owners that are very happy with their new cars. The lady has some finish issue on the paint it had some holograms that anyone can fix. She has had multiple Teslas and was mind blown by how nice the new interior was. Eric Robertson has a 2021 Model S LR and decided to upgrade to a Plaid, I assume his car cannot be that bad to upgrade just for speed haha. On the last one I ask D and E about the handles being chrome and painted and they look at it and they say it doesn't look like it. To me it doesn't make sense because paint will not adhere to a chrome surface. I also asked them if for 90/130k is the new car worth both says yes.

I set the video when they start talking about the handles.

I own a Taycan and can say that the 800V system and the 2 speed gear box is NOT just marketing. There's a reason why the car can launch just as quickly at 100% as it does at let's say 40%. The 2 speed tranny comes in handy when you're traveling at higher speeds and need strong acceleration, something the Model S performance even struggles with. I know all about this, I've had 2 of them. However, the Plaid resolves this issue and I'm looking forward to it!

Of course, people will adapt to the Yoke. For those that buy the car, they will have no choice but to adapt to it. Aside from visibility being better, when you're going straight only, I simply can't find a reason why it's "better" than having a full steering wheel. I've never once thought about visibility of the screen being an issue in my current S. To its credit, I guess it will force people to drive with two hands on the wheel a lot of times, which could be safer in that particular respect.

While many will say they've gotten used to it and accept, I simply don't believe that any near a majority will prefer it over a full wheel. I would venture to say that a majority of drivers drive one handed with a large number of drivers simply resting their arm / hand on top of the wheel (count me as one of them). It's simply where I'm most comfortable driving. I've tried to drive my car as if the top wasn't there and for me, simply just uncomfortable. This just my take. But, maybe forcing people to use two hands more often will prove to be more beneficial???

On another note, I miss the days when Tesla offered configuration options. For my 2015, I was able to choose the items I wanted and not have to pay for the items I didn't want. I was also able to configure the colors of the interior the way I wanted them. I loved my dark headliner with light seats and no wood. While my Raven is an amazing car, I loved my 2015 interior configuration so much more. Never been a fan of wood in a car. I loved the panoramic sunroof I had in my 2015 that could open up. I had no need for the upgraded sound system and was able to save that money. For a car in this price range, I want options to make it the way I want it. Tesla used to offer. Most other manufacturers still do offer that capability. The lack of choices simply adds another element as to why, especially with the now increased pricing, won't buy another one. I use my car for work and spent A LOT of time in it. I want an interior that I love, not one that I've had to settle for while paying $140,000+ for it. I understand Tesla took away the choices to simplify and reduce costs and maybe that's fine for the cheaper Model 3 and Model Y, but for the flagship model in their line up that's more than double the price, saving a few bucks just isn't worth it. I believe most buyers that would purchase a car in this price range would gladly pay a few extra dollars to get what they want rather than have to settle for something less.

The biggest theme with Tesla that comes up over and over and over again is that "you'll get used to it". That simply means you'll accept something inferior or settle for something inferior. Again, for me personally, at this price point, I don't want to have to "settle". Unfortunately as time goes on, there are more and more items that we have to "settle" on. One or two things, ok, but, the "settle" list has grown too large for me. Tesla cars have many AMAZING features, many of which make "settling" worth it. I've loved my past cars and was happy to settle in not getting things I would have preferred due to getting the things it does have. The positives outweighed the negatives. With the new Model S, for me and my personal needs and preferences, at this point, sadly, the positive list no longer outweighs the "settle" list.

Zero minutes, got it.
nope I dont think you should get it. Enjoy the Taycan.
👍
Again, what does this have to do with the price of tea in China???
How many minutes I spent behind the yoke does not prevent me from pointing out that even the reviewer quoted by someone else hates the yoke. Nor did I ask you whether or not I should get one, so another comment from you neither here or there.

I see you've had your daily dose of Elon coolaid, chug on! 👍

I own a Taycan and can say that the 800V system and the 2 speed gear box is NOT just marketing. There's a reason why the car can launch just as quickly at 100% as it does at let's say 40%. The 2 speed tranny comes in handy when you're traveling at higher speeds and need strong acceleration, something the Model S performance even struggles with. I know all about this, I've had 2 of them. However, the Plaid resolves this issue and I'm looking forward to it!

It is mostly marketing because it is lazy engineering that provides marginal benefits with hugely added complexity, inefficiencies and cost. Have you watch the video of Mate from Rimac talking about 2-speed transmissions and how much he dislike them? to quote him "I hate it". I couldn't find the weight of the 2-speed transmissions and one article said that Porsche doesn't want to say how much is the weight because it is probably embarrassing. The front Taycan grearbox is 35lbs and the Rimac 2-speed transmission using F1 materials, titanium etc was 60kg/132lbs so I am going to assume the Taycan 2-speed is heavier.

A small EV doesn't need torque multiplication; multiple speed transmission are great for Class 8 EV's like transit busses etc. I like Tesla's and Rimac's approach better, instead of being lazy they designed more power dense motors with higher torque that are able to sustain higher RPMs for top speed. And even without the 2-speed the 2020 Model S Plaid Performance beats the Taycan to the 1/8th of mile.

Porsche saved a total weight for 5Kg/8.8Lbs with the 800V architecture what a joke after adding a 132lbs+ 2-speed transmission. Tesla has way less cabling then the Taycan and it might save them 3lbs while adding cost. Putting more cells in series vs parallel is nothing special and sadly the Plaid 450V charge faster. And again Tesla is designing the 4860 cells to charge even faster without bumping up the voltage.

I am sure Porsche can make a car as quick as the Plaid but at what cost? and how long will it take them? Will it Osborne their other models? If they do something like the Plaid it would be the quickest production car Porsche has ever made.

I am not blind about Tesla issues but the issues that have personally had are so minor and to me that do not bother. Condensation on a tail light and a charge port door that got stuck from time to time, all fixed on my driveway and at my desire availability at no cost. My Lexus IS-F had a water pump leaking under 40k miles and melting door panels and dash not covered under warranty that's what I consider big issues.

joke.JPG