Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Managing Scheduled Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With switching on to the Octopus Go tariff tonight, I'd welcome any advice or suggestions on how to best manage the overnight period scheduled charging.

There's the scheduled charging option within the Model 3 itself, and I think I can also schedule charging via TeslaFi and/or via the ev.energy app/Rolec charger.

For those with experience of scheduling charging is there a recommended set up or methodology using any or all of the above?

Thanks.

Depends on your circumstances. If you want the most basic bullet proof never fail solution* either in terms of not starting or not stopping then set the scheduled start time to 0:30 in the car and then set the max charge to equate to 4 hours worth. which with a 32 amp charger and an LR is just under 10% per hour so about 38%. I know this is crude but its very quick and simple.
*This worked flawlessly for me until the 16amp charge bug which unfortunately means it does not stop at 04:30 since it has not done its 38%. grrr
There are many ways to schedule using apps that others will tell you about but remember they are all dependant on yours and either the cars or the chargers internet connection, servers etc etc so they all fail from time to time.

Reactions: Masklin and NewbieT
I have used the in-car functionality and ev.energy app. I only use the latter now, and I’m entirely satisfied with it.

You just need to make sure you get the tariff specified in settings, set your target charge complete time and job done. If you don’t want charging outside the 4 hour window, you can set a max price limit, but you might not reach the target charge.

I use it on Agile and I can see how my charging corresponds to the cheapest 30-minute periods overnight. It’s very clever.

Reactions: Masklin
I have used the in-car functionality and ev.energy app. I only use the latter now, and I’m entirely satisfied with it.

You just need to make sure you get the tariff specified in settings, set your target charge complete time and job done. If you don’t want charging outside the 4 hour window, you can set a max price limit, but you might not reach the target charge.

I use it on Agile and I can see how my charging corresponds to the cheapest 30-minute periods overnight. It’s very clever.

Thank you both.

If using the ev.energy app, do you sign in to your Tesla account within it, which I think is an option?

Yes. All the info here.

It seems to work best if you let it control the car rather than the charger. We’ve had a bit of fun and games with the car sometimes limiting the charge to 4kW due to a bug that is supposed to be fixed in 2020.28.x.

In addition, ev.energy are continually trying to improve their servers to perfect the functionality and I’ve found them very responsive to feedback. At the moment, it is a bit late starting and finishing on the 30-minute intervals for Agile, but the difference in cost is very minor indeed.

Last edited:
Depends on your circumstances. If you want the most basic bullet proof never fail solution* either in terms of not starting or not stopping then set the scheduled start time to 0:30 in the car and then set the max charge to equate to 4 hours worth. which with a 32 amp charger and an LR is just under 10% per hour so about 38%. I know this is crude but its very quick and simple.

... or for those with a SR+ the 4 hour period equates to 56% if getting your standard 7kW charges. As J says this gets messed up if there is the present charging bug because your charge rate drops.