Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Many problems with Model 3 SR+ What to do???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 service issues: (awaiting second appointment and parts. First service visit was April 2, 2019 returned 15 days later on April 17, 2019. Took delivery on March 27, 2019 )
  1. Full immersive Sound missing - tweeters not functioning
  2. Right rear passenger door won’t to open after release (rear passenger unable to exit)
  3. Home link (without location aware) missing
  4. (Repaired) Hood out of alignment
  5. (Repaired) Rear passenger doors out of alignment
  6. (Repaired) Front bumper was delivered chipped (See #7)
  7. Replacement bumper is deformed right side
  8. Interior floor light flashes on for a split second and then stops functioning.
  9. (Repaired) Rear Passenger window installed too far to the rear
  10. Door gasket on right rear door buckled
  11. (Repaired) Door gasket on left rear door buckled
  12. When trying to call a contact through voice control the contact phone list closes within seconds before the list can be accessed.
  13. Swirl scratches on finish
  14. Orange peel on rear quarter panels and bumper and other areas
  15. Rubber gasket at the right corner of hood by windshield is not installed and sitting loose - missing bracket.
  16. Chrome trim out of alignment on passenger door where it meets the right quarter panel chrome trim
  17. Front fabric piece at base of windshield has material pull in the center.
  18. Rear glass roof panel is installed at an angle and is recessed below frame on right side
  19. Inside windshield Pilars and other fabric areas around windshield came back from 16 days in service and bodyshop dirty/stained.
  20. Rear camera has intermittent long delay when entering reverse
  21. Auto bright not working
  22. Sentry has to be restarted every time I leave the car - any automati
  23. While in the garage I often hear a loud double metallic click noise coming from underneath the car like a solenoid was activated.

QwUESTION: is cruise control different if Autopilot is installed

SR+ is supposed to have 8 active speakers and limited immersive sound instead of 14. Details here.

Cars with AP enabled have Traffic Aware Cruise Control that maintains following distance. Otherwise, they have basic Cruise Control that maintains speed.

SR+ is supposed to have 8 active speakers and limited immersive sound instead of 14. Details here.

Cars with $3,000 basic AP option have Traffic Aware Cruise Control that maintains following distance. Otherwise, they have basic Cruise Control that maintains speed.
Yes, that is the NEW configuration! Not when I purchased my Model 3 SR+. I even have an email from the inside sales supervisor confirming I purchased Full Immersive Sound.

Reactions: ISoGrumpy
The email is wrong. See the old version here. There was no change in SR+ audio. In March 2019, it had 8 speakers and Limited Immersive Sound. In April 2019, it's the same.

The only audio related change was for the $35K SR. In March it was advertised with 7 speakers and no Immersive Sound but in April they changed it to 8 speakers and no Immersive Sound.

The email is wrong. See the old version here. There was no change in SR+ audio. In March 2019, it had 8 speakers and Limited Immersive Sound. In April 2019, it's the same.

The only audio related change was for the $35K SR. In March it was advertised with 7 speakers and no Immersive Sound but in April they changed it to 8 speakers and no Immersive Sound.
If you look at your very own reply with the “older” version of the features list by model comparison you will not see any reference to Immersive Sound. Immersive sound without any qualifications was on the options list linked to the ORDER PAGES and clearly stated the Model 3 Standard PLUS came with immersive sound. There was no distinction identifying it as LIMITED/FULL until the April 2019 features document!

If you look at your very own reply with the “older” version of the features list by model comparison you will not see any reference to Immersive Sound. Immersive sound without any qualifications was on the options list linked to the ORDER PAGES and clearly stated the Model 3 Standard PLUS came with immersive sound. There was no distinction identifying it as LIMITED/FULL until the April 2019 features document!
My error: I just saw the bottom of the older list where audio is separated. However this was not the way it was indicated on the order page features.

If you look at your very own reply with the “older” version of the features list by model comparison you will not see any reference to Immersive Sound.

See the 14th list item here. It says "Upgraded Audio system with 8 speakers and Limited Immersive Sound". This was posted on Reddit on 20 March 2019 here. Nothing has changed about SR+ audio. It's still exactly the same.

Immersive sound without any qualifications was on the options list linked to the ORDER PAGES and clearly stated the Model 3 Standard PLUS came with immersive sound. There was no distinction identifying it as LIMITED/FULL until the April 2019 features document!

Yes, I know. The order page is misleading. If you open the Model 3 configurator and click on the "Partial Premium Interior" link where you select the trim level, it still says, "Upgraded audio – immersive sound". It doesn't mention the number of speakers either. That's why I created those tables to help people understand the differences between trim levels. Once again, the latest version is here.

Just to be clear, I'm not supporting the incomplete information on the configurator. I agree that it's misleading. It's also misleading to display the prices after gas savings more prominently than the actual price. That's another problem they should fix.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Big Earl
SR+ doesn’t come with homelink.
I was told by inside sales my car was supposed to have Homelink (but without Location Aware). I was told I would have access to the garage door opener control from the display. I was told that I would have Immersive Sound with my Tweeters functioning. I was later told by mobile service that my Standard Plus configuration had not included home link as it should have then they would install it. I was actually told by service after I picked up my car that they fixed my Immersive Sound and that my tweeters were fully functioning. My tweeters do not work! I don’t disagree that the information was not consistent, however, when making a purchase decision for a $40,000 car and deciding between configurations, when the representatives of the company are providing details about exactly what you are buying, those details, within reason, should be honored!

• Funny
Reactions: Leafdriver333
See the 14th list item here. It says "Upgraded Audio system with 8 speakers and Limited Immersive Sound". This was posted on Reddit on 20 March 2019 here. Nothing has changed about SR+ audio. It's still exactly the same.

Yes, I know. The order page is misleading. If you open the Model 3 configurator and click on the "Partial Premium Interior" link where you select the trim level, it still says, "Upgraded audio – immersive sound". It doesn't mention the number of speakers either. That's why I created those tables to help people understand the differences between trim levels. Once again, the latest version is here.
So it was you who created those tables???? I thought it was TESLA? The service writer actually handed me the table titled April 2019. So you are saying that a Tesla never clearly identified the immersive sound feature during the purchase process?

• Love
Reactions: Leafdriver333
So it was you who created those tables?

My green tables are easier to read versions of Tesla's paper leaflets.
  • On 20 March 2019, somebody posted Tesla's leaflet here on Reddit. As you can see, it's difficult to read. So I created this easy-to-read version and posted it on Reddit, Twitter and on this forum. This was outdated when they decided to make SR a software limited version of SR+.
  • On 19 April 2019, a forum member posted Tesla's new table here. Again, this is difficult to read, so I created this table that has the same information and posted it on this forum and on Twitter.

Last edited:
I was told by inside sales my car was supposed to have Homelink (but without Location Aware). I was told I would have access to the garage door opener control from the display. I was told that I would have Immersive Sound with my Tweeters functioning. I was later told by mobile service that my Standard Plus configuration had not included home link as it should have then they would install it. I was actually told by service after I picked up my car that they fixed my Immersive Sound and that my tweeters were fully functioning. My tweeters do not work! I don’t disagree that the information was not consistent, however, when making a purchase decision for a $40,000 car and deciding between configurations, when the representatives of the company are providing details about exactly what you are buying, those details, within reason, should be honored!
In your case if you are in the return period I would probably take the car back. Basically it sounds like they were telling you MR stats when trying to get you to get the SR+ trim.

Edit, never mind. See you are past your week.

My green tables are easier to read versions of Tesla's paper leaflets.
  • On 20 March 2019, somebody posted Tesla's leaflet here on Reddit. As you can see, it's difficult to read. So I created this easy-to-read version and posted it on Reddit, Twitter and on this forum. This was outdated when they decided to make the SR a software limited version of SR+.
  • On 19 April 2019, a forum member posted Tesla's new table here. Again, this is difficult to read, so I created this table that has the same information and posted it on this forum and on Twitter.
I purchased my car on March 1, 2019 well before the “limited” qualification was
In your case if you are in the return period I would probably take the car back. Basically it sounds like they were telling you MR stats when trying to get you to get the SR+ trim.
I only had my car for 5 days and only 174 miles on the odometer when I turned it in on April 2, 2019 for “repairs” which included having them fix my missing Full Immersive Sound with my a tweeters functioning and my “missing” Home-link. When I got my car back 15 days later and I learned only then that I did not have these features, the delivery department told me it was too late to get the $2,000 price adjustment with the 20 mile drop in range OR to have the Autopilot added, or in the alternative, to return the car EVEN THOUGH I HAD NOT HAD THE CAR FOR 7 DAYS.

It is crazy that Tesla personnel can’t keep track of their product features.
It’s not only crazy, but it is deceptive and possibly designed to confuse. Management is not stupid and fully aware of the environment “they” have created. They cannot simply say, “ Oh, I’m sorry, you were given the wrong sales pitch and even though we did not make this information accessible to you, we are not responsible to provide what we told you you would be buying.”

Not to take away from your other issues, some of which sound legitimate, but....

Sentry has to be restarted every time I leave the car - any automati

This is how it currently works. For everyone.

While in the garage I often hear a loud double metallic click noise coming from underneath the car like a solenoid was activated.

So?

Model 3 service issues: (awaiting second appointment and parts. First service visit was April 2, 2019 returned 15 days later on April 17, 2019. Took delivery on March 27, 2019 )
  1. Rear camera has intermittent long delay when entering reverse
  2. Sentry has to be restarted every time I leave the car - any automati
  3. While in the garage I often hear a loud double metallic click noise coming from underneath the car like a solenoid was activated.
QwUESTION: is cruise control different if Autopilot is installed

Addressing some of your issues above:
  1. The rear camera lag is a software problem that many people are experiencing and Tesla is working on an update to fix.
  2. Sentry does not have an always-on function (yet). You must enable it every time you park (for now).
  3. The loud clunk-clunk is the high voltage contactors either opening or closing when the car wakes up or goes to sleep.
Cruise control becomes radar cruise control with Autopilot. Without Autopilot, it's just regular old dumb cruise control.

Reactions: Dana1
Not to take away from your other issues, some of which sound legitimate, but....

So?

The OP has a long list of issue, some of which are quality issues, others of which are how the car works currently. It appears to me that OP simply compiled a list of everything they didnt like about the car, and presented them all as defects.

The "swirl" and "orange peel" was almost surely there on delivery, and has also been there on every new BMW I have bought if you look hard enough (for example).

There are several other things listed that were likely that way on delivery, and also likely that way on every tesla. OP should have rejected this car since it clearly did not meet his /her standards.

Items 20-23 are the same on every single model 3 tesla right now. for The delay on the rear view camera is a bug many have, the auto wipers DO function but not ideally, and re starting sentry mode every time is currently how its designed.

OP your thread title says "what to do?" There is a high probability that many of your items will never be fixed to your satisfaction by tesla (very high in fact). So, you need to decide what you will do when that occurs. Will you keep the car and be mad or will you sell it and move to a different car that is closer to your standards?

Thats the question

Addressing some of your issues above:
  1. The rear camera lag is a software problem that many people are experiencing and Tesla is working on an update to fix.
  2. Sentry does not have an always-on function (yet). You must enable it every time you park (for now).
  3. The loud clunk-clunk is the high voltage contactors either opening or closing when the car wakes up or goes to sleep.
Cruise control becomes radar cruise control with Autopilot. Without Autopilot, it's just regular old dumb cruise control.
These three issues were more questions than repair items AND I THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR ANSWERS!!

So?
There is no need to be condescending. Take a look at the previous reply to three of my issues which were easily addressed without the negativity. I mean, for you to reply “So?” to my question about the loud double clicking noise is really not necessary. Just because you happen to know why this occurs does not mean we all are aware. Please be kind to people less knowledgeable than yourself. Thank you.