Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New April 2019 Model 3 Trim Comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mods - feel free to delete if duplicative.

Having been going back and forth with an Owner Advisor and she strongly believes the attached trim comparison is authoritative. It shows the Standard Range as "off-menu only" which would imply this has been thoughtfully updated by Tesla.

Big differences vs. blog post would be heated front seats includes, fog lights excluded, and no immersive sound. Would also seem to confirm maps, navigation, and streaming are the same between SR and SR+.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• image001.png
    image001.png
    475.3 KB · Views: 1,474
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Troy and commasign
If that's the case then I guess I do feel a bit duped now. $2000 for the ability to use fog lights, which I never use, and an immersive sound option which seemingly does nothing.
The SR+ would still have the add'l range and faster 0-60. But yes, trim/interior between SR and SR+ seem to only be differentiated by fog lights and 'immersive' audio. Current price difference between the two is $2,500 w/out AP and $1,500 with AP (as it's included for $2k in SR+ and optional for $3k for SR).

A month ago I converted the old version of Tesla's table to an easier-to-read version. I might as well continue with this new one.

This first table is the same as Brad posted in the opening message. It shows the current situation after SR became a software limited version of SR+.

b3L36iH.png

This second table is the old version. It shows what they were originally planning to do. This was based on Tesla's table somebody posted here on 20 March 2019. You can see how things have changed since then. Originally, SR had 6 items missing in the middle section but now only LED fog lamps are missing. Also originally SR was supposed to have 7 speakers instead of 8.

Bg32BKL.png

Last edited:
Heated Seats on SR. I feel duped. Was one of the most important items to sway me to SR+. Up here it gets friken cold and I get to use less cabin heating with toasty hot seat. If the SR has it then time to rethink order.

Heated seats are software locked on SR.

SR Software Locks:
Heated seats
20 miles of range
Immersive Sound
Maps
Fogs

OA sent in an email. At first they swore up and down verbally that it was normal partial premium interior. I pushed for an email with ALL of the SR from SR+ hardware and/or software locks, so I could fight them to turn it back on in the future.

Maybe someone has a different email we can use to get the heated seats. Until then, I’ve cancelled and I’m keeping the S. If it’s not locked now, enjoy it! Maybe they’ll forget.

Heated seats
20 miles of range
Immersive Sound
Maps
Fogs

I think heated rear seats and maps shouldn't be on your list because SR and SR+ are the same. It's possible that these two features are software limited in both versions but because the idea is to compare SR and SR+, it can't be listed as a differentiating factor. To be clear, these two options were already the same in SR and SR+. Nothing has changed compared to the original plan.

The data source is paper sheets Tesla is handing out at stores. Their old table from a month ago is here. The new one is in the opening message. These are difficult to read, so I created easier to read versions you can find in message #7.

Heated front seats were available in all three trim levels. They still are.
Heated rear seats were not available in SR or SR+. They still are not.
Satellite-view maps and live traffic visualization was free for a year only for premium interior but not for SR or SR+. It's still the same.

Based on Tesla's table in the opening message, there are 3 differences between SR and SR+:
  • SR+ has LED fog lamps
  • SR+ has limited Immersive Sound instead of none
  • SR+ has 20 miles more range

Last edited:
Reactions: J-Ho
If that's the case then I guess I do feel a bit duped now. $2000 for the ability to use fog lights, which I never use, and an immersive sound option which seemingly does nothing.
You shouldn’t feel duped, you were duped...and so was I!

But people on this forum will say “you got what you paid for and liked it then, stop complaining about it”, when in all reality, we bought the SR+ because of how much better it was than the SR when they marketed it to us...now SR folks are getting many free upgrades since they’re getting our car with a software limited battery.

What really pisses me off is it seemed like we (existing SR+ owners) could get a partial refund and downgrade to the SR based on the blog post...it appears Tesla walked that back too.

I’m fine with my car, but I’m really pissed that’s Tesla scammed me into an SR+ when in all reality I would have been fine with the SR that’s available for sale right now.

I’m sure I’ll get downvoted to hell for this post though.

Mods - feel free to delete if duplicative.

Having been going back and forth with an Owner Advisor and she strongly believes the attached trim comparison is authoritative. It shows the Standard Range as "off-menu only" which would imply this has been thoughtfully updated by Tesla.

Big differences vs. blog post would be heated front seats includes, fog lights excluded, and no immersive sound. Would also seem to confirm maps, navigation, and streaming are the same between SR and SR+.

Thoughts?

Brad, thanks so much for posting these images! Like others, I've been going back and forth between the SR and SR+ (even the LR RWD), but if your OA info is correct, then I'll be getting an SR (without AP). The first document looks like a photo of an actual flyer, did you take the photo and if so, what was the source?

I'm still a bit skeptical, like many of us, just because Tesla never seems to know what it is actually doing until somebody owns the vehicle, and in this case, it becomes software limited (even then things could change).

Thanks again for the info!
Stach

I think heated rear seats and maps shouldn't be on your list because SR and SR+ are the same. It's possible that these two features are software limited in both versions but because the idea is to compare SR and SR+, it can't be listed as a differentiating factor. To be clear, these two options were already the same in SR and SR+. Nothing has changed compared to the original plan.

The data source is paper sheets Tesla is handing out at stores. Their old table from a month ago is here. The new one is in the opening message. These are difficult to read, so I created easier to read versions you can find in message #7.

Heated front seats were available in all three trim levels. They still are.
Heated rear seats were not available in SR or SR+. They still are not.
Satellite-view maps and live traffic visualization was free for a year only for premium interior but not for SR or SR+. It's still the same.

Based on Tesla's table in the opening message, there are 3 differences between SR and SR+:
  • SR+ has LED fog lamps
  • SR+ has limited Immersive Sound instead of none
  • SR+ has 20 miles more range

False, my list was from Tesla. And referenced an order, which was cancelled due to the software locks I listed (heated seats) and a few more reasons.

Heated front/rear seats are software locked to off on SR. They are not on all trim levels. Maybe the hardware, but not useable.

SR does not have heated seats. Yours may now because they haven’t locked it down from SR+.

I went back and forth because they told me it was the full partial premium interior on the SR, which it wasn’t. I cancelled due to the heated seats being eventually locked to off, poor trade and egregious tax law issues (I’m exempt, they were provided all state and federal documentation to turn in. They still couldn’t figure out how to take documents and send them in).

Highly unfortunate. That said, SR does not have heated seats or eventually won’t due to software locks.

I must say, the AO was amazing. Super awesome. The back end was the issue with the other issues I mentioned above.

Christian is a superior AO and I give him my highest recommendation.

Below is the email which explains the software locks SR has:
293EFC28-1825-484D-9188-111C032C4457.png

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: J-Ho
False, my list was from Tesla. And referenced an order, which was cancelled due to the software locks I listed (heated seats) and a few more reasons.

Heated front/rear seats are software locked to off on SR. They are not on all trim levels. Maybe the hardware, but not useable.

SR does not have heated seats. Yours may now because they haven’t locked it down from SR+.

I went back and forth because they told me it was the full partial premium interior on the SR, which it wasn’t. I cancelled due to the heated seats being eventually locked to off, poor trade and egregious tax law issues (I’m exempt, they were provided all state and federal documentation to turn in. They still couldn’t figure out how to take documents and send them in).

Highly unfortunate. That said, SR does not have heated seats or eventually won’t due to software locks.

I’m not following this. Who is the source of your information stating that heated front seats are locked out on the SR and why do you believe that your source is accurate and the document posted in this thread is not?

Reactions: Troy
I plan on ordering an SR or SR+ early June to take delivery before the tax credit drops again.

Originally I was set on the SR+ with the interior upgrades etc but now it's a little harder choice. I live in FL so I don't care about heated seats or fog lights for that matter, but I do want AP.

Cost difference between SR and SR+ being 1500.00 with AP it still seems like the SR+ is the better deal with the extra range for when you need it, speed increase, and minor audio upgrade. If I didn't want AP then SR is for sure the better deal.

Or should I try and hold out for a LR showroom deal, thoughts?

I must say, the AO was amazing. Super awesome. The back end was the issue with the other issues I mentioned above.

Christian is a superior AO and I give him my highest recommendation.

Below is the email which explains the software locks SR has:
View attachment 398832

The Advisors were basing their information on what the blog post stated, which referred to heated seats not being on the SR. However, the document in this post looks like it was prepared by corporate, and came out more recently than the blog. I agree it’s confusing to have conflicting information between the blog and the document, but I would tend to believe the document over an email from an individual employee. It appears the document was prepared recently since it refers to the SR being “off menu”.

Remember the blog had other questionable information, like saying that SR would lose internet streaming and traffic. SR+ never had either of those in the first place. I think the blog was referring to no heated rear seats but it was poorly worded.

Reactions: J-Ho and Troy
What is the date on that document? Who generated it? Will Tesla honor it?

My AO asked up through the manager, I believe local then regional, then emailed me the list.

If they honor those options and can figure out company confusion versus tax law, I’d order again.