TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Map questions

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by ny888, Aug 18, 2015.

1. ny888

ny888 Member

1. Is there a way to set a default zoom level? I like the map zoomed in usually one touch of the + icon beyond what the zoom level is when I start the car but it always zooms out again while I'm driving.
    2. Is there a way to display/show the name of the road I'm currently on?

2. GOPJEW

GOPJEW Member

I don't know about a default zoom, but the name of the road should be on the top of the Maps app next to the heads-up or North-up option button,.

3. ny888

ny888 Member

Thanks. Don't know why I never noticed that before.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

There is no default zoom level that I am aware of.

5. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

There is a default "highway" zoom level that the car will automatically restore after a certain time of driving above a certain speed threshold. In town I can use the "+" button to zoom in on the map, but if I get on the state highway it will zoom back out to a specific after a mile or two of 55 mph driving.

No way of disabling this.

6. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

Older firmware versions would not change your selected zoom level at-speed. Newer firmware does. No way around it.

7. slindell

slindell Model S Sig #353

To the right of the "enter location" field is a blue icon that has three options (not official names): 1) Keep Map North, 2) Rotate Map with Car Facing, and 3) Show Entire Journey on Screen.

The third option has no "default" zoom be definition. It will zoom in and out as needed to show the journey.

I use option 1, and the last zoom level I choose stays there until I change it. Perhaps this is what you are looking for?

8. ny888

ny888 Member

I am using option 1 - Keep Map North. I believe the previous response from FlasherZ is correct in that it automatically zooms out at a certain speed on the freeways. I'll keep an eye on whether this happens on local streets as well although 55 mph would be seriously speeding on local streets.

9. slindell

slindell Model S Sig #353

Huh. I use option 1, and the zoom level never changes unless I physically push the zoom buttons.

10. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

As I noted above, it most certainly didn't in one of the older firmware versions, but it most certainly does now. If you don't notice it, then that means you haven't zoomed-in quite far enough. Try to zoom in all-the-way, and then drive around and get on the highway.

11. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The Navigon map zooms in and out with speed. Never seen the Google map do it and I wouldn't want it to. And yes, I've never tried driving with maximum zoom either, so I'll keep away from max zoom most of the time (once in a great while max zoom is useful, but usually I have it zoomed out to show most of the route).

12. garygid

garygid Member

The option 3, Show Entire Route, shows only the remaining part of the route, gradually
    zoming in as the route is traversed. Near the route end, one automatically gets the
    greater detail necessary to get to the actual destination. Very handy, especially when
    driving to a new destination or supercharger for the first time.