Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

March Model 3 Unveil just drawings? No actual car? Disappointed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe they are unsure of what features or cutting edge ideas to unveil so soon.

Elon said the biggest lesson they learned from the Model X was not to have too many new features in one product. That is what delayed the X so much.

There will be a prototype there but they still have to decide which features they will reveal. I'm sure many are still under development and they don't know yet which can be incorporated before they have to finalize the design.

Exactly. At the X event, there were tons of details that weren't shown.

Elon said the biggest lesson they learned from the Model X was not to have too many new features in one product. That is what delayed the X so much.
i don't mean anything crazy, but as compared to the Bolt, Leaf and other competitors. Plus tech capability inside or something that makes it different. They are concerned about showing the world something.

I think the Model 3 unveiling might be closer to the original S unveiling than the Model X one. The Model X one unveiled a lot more (and was a lot closer to a production version) than the S. I think Elon is saying it'll be more like the S (where you see how inside and outside will basically look, but some features might not be announced yet).

No, he didn't. He said they didn't want to show all their cards yet, ahead of the event.

Tyler Charles Frank - Robert W. Baird & Co., Inc. (Private Wealth Management)
Okay. Then, a quick follow-up. There's been some rumors and commentary that the Model 3 launch may not be an actual full vehicle. Can you just talk about what we should expect at the launch event and at the end of March?

Elon Reeve Musk - Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
Yeah, we're trying to decide whether we should show all the cards or keep a few cards close to the vest, I haven't made decision yet.

Tyler Charles Frank - Robert W. Baird & Co., Inc. (Private Wealth Management)
Great. Thank you.

Edit: I can see how it can be interpreted that he wasn't talking about having a car or not. He may only be answering the second portion of the question.

To maintain the hype makes sense for the company to withhold some of the innovative features:
+ Musk's quote didn't mean the car itself would not be shown. Tesla's strength relies in IT among other things
+ My guess goes for some of the software related features could postponed until late 2016, these could be:
1) Tesla car sharing software/tech 2) Autopilot 2.0 full capabilities (it will have the sensors for sure but the software is not ready yet) 3) Actual range of the vehicle (it will be 200+ but how much more?)

I predict a clay model or early prototype that is close to the ultimate configuration and not auto-show BS. He will give range and state whether it is single or dual motor. They will show the interior enough to confirm it is 5 seat configuration and has a 15" display, with cup holders and a center console.

For more, he will wait for the Leaf reveal. The car will look cooler than the Bolt (not difficult) and better than anything Nissan is likely to come up with. After the Leaf reveal, Chevy and Nissan will have their configurations set in stone so that Tesla can finalize initial specs.

They showed off the Model X in full form inside and out (though not final design) almost 3 full years before launch. I would think they will show a full Model 3 even if the design isn't finalized since it's supposed to ship in only ~18 months.

They showed off the Model X in full form inside and out (though not final design) almost 3 full years before launch. I would think they will show a full Model 3 even if the design isn't finalized since it's supposed to ship in only ~18 months.

If they were on schedule, I would agree with that. Sadly, I think my next EV purchase will be a Bolt. I can drive that for a couple years while I wait for my Model 3 reservation to ripen. I will probably cancel the order if the $7500 tax rebate is exhausted.

If they were on schedule, I would agree with that. Sadly, I think my next EV purchase will be a Bolt. I can drive that for a couple years while I wait for my Model 3 reservation to ripen. I will probably cancel the order if the $7500 tax rebate is exhausted.
The chances of being able to sit on a Model 3 reservation for several years and receive the $7500 federal rebate and essentially zero. If it launches on time, maybe some of the first model year will be eligible due to the delay imposed by quarter alignment and then the taper. If it launches late, perhaps none will be eligible.

As of now they are on schedule - where do you see they are not?

If they don't have a working prototype at the reveal, they are behind schedule. I think the delay in the Model X, including the two months mine has been built and waiting at the factory for them to fix bugs, pushed the Model 3. I think we will see clay models or renderings at the reveal and no car company can go from that to deliveries in 18 months. Certainly not Tesla.

Heck, Model X Founders Editions were out in September and I am still waiting for my FbR one some 5 months later. Stop sipping the Kool-Aid for a moment and know that we will not see a Model 3 delivered in 18 months.

If they don't have a working prototype at the reveal, they are behind schedule. I think the delay in the Model X, including the two months mine has been built and waiting at the factory for them to fix bugs, pushed the Model 3. I think we will see clay models or renderings at the reveal and no car company can go from that to deliveries in 18 months. Certainly not Tesla.

Heck, Model X Founders Editions were out in September and I am still waiting for my FbR one some 5 months later. Stop sipping the Kool-Aid for a moment and know that we will not see a Model 3 delivered in 18 months.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2016/02/13/stop-assuming-teslas-model-3-will-be-late.aspx

Stop Assuming Tesla's Model 3 Will Be Late

Your argument is circular. They won't have a working prototype at the reveal because they are behind schedule. They are behind schedule because they won't have a working prototype at the reveal.

How about this. They are on schedule as they have repeatedly said and therefore they will have a working prototype at the reveal.

Exactly. I have two tickets for the reveal. If I see a working prototype ther, I agree that they may presently be on schedule.

While not drinking kool-aid, I would be shocked if they botched such an important reveal by not showing an actual car. Even if that car is a concept and not the final product.

Please post pics/vids from the reveal! I think it will be a very exciting event.