Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, you don't have to tell me it's wacky, I bought on the rise to 380, to 360, ... if I could time things...

Accumulate over time based on fundamental comparisons such as historical/upcoming growth metrics, historical/upcoming margin expectations.

Based on everything I see, unless Model 3 is delayed for yet another time, then low $300's are good prices to add to long-term holdings.

Oh, you don't have to tell me it's wacky, I bought on the rise to 380, to 360, ... if I could time things...
I haven't tried to time things since 1973. Since then I buy when there is a dip in something I think is good value and wait. So far I cannot complain. OTOH, I took the same approach with 'courting' and that has worked pretty well too...similar long term commitment I suppose. OTOH, I'm thinking I might sell some TSLA when I've held for twenty years, around 2033, but I have been adding pretty regularly so I did buy some at 362.

I haven't tried to time things since 1973. Since then I buy when there is a dip in something I think is good value and wait. So far I cannot complain. OTOH, I took the same approach with 'courting' and that has worked pretty well too...similar long term commitment I suppose. OTOH, I'm thinking I might sell some TSLA when I've held for twenty years, around 2033, but I have been adding pretty regularly so I did buy some at 362.

Yup. Lots of times people are irrational about the markets’ irrational habits. Get into stock X because “Mr Market” is being gapingly irrational in its pricing of X, but, once a holder, find it puzzling and frustrating that “Mr Market” often (in aggregate) is being irrational in the pricing of X. “Mr Market” does not take a decision by any person to buy a stock as its cue to give up its centuries long irrational habits.

Im so confused. I bought both puts and calls today in TSLA and both ended up in the green. Am I doing this right? Not like big winners, actually both are marginal. But I would expect one to be down and the other up. I always feel dirty buying TSLA puts, but I like to hedge this thing because its been bonkers. By the end of the day, I had no idea which to sell, so im stuck with both.

Well this is pretty bad already considering that NASDAQ is at ATH, but I guess it could have been worse...

Yeah. This stock trades like trash.

We went down with the market correction and just...keep...going...down...even as everything goes back up.

Netflix up nearly 100% in the past 3 months. Amazon up 50% in the past few months after a 500% gain over the past couple years.

Nasdaq all-time highs AGAIN.

We were $350ish at the last time Nasdaq was at an ATH. Now we are $320...

TRASH stock. But I won't sell so I guess I lose the game.

Not a bad day really, given the executive leaving and Jonas' guarded note. I was anticipating worse.

I dont know why anyone is surprised. There has been no good news. By all information currently available, the deliveries have come to a crawl and production is no better. At best, there has been 0 improvement in the ramp since Jan and there is about a 90% chance Tesla will miss the 2500/W goal which we will find out in about 3 weeks. This is not an advice, but we need to see some more signs of life or it will get worse before it gets better. I dont think it will be enough for Tesla to come out say we did 450 cars for 1 day which was about 2500/W pace. They need to show that bottlenecks are cleared and the rate going forward is 2000+ or this stock is going to get a not so nice hair cut. And then it will start going back up again into the Q2 conference call, then it will get another nice hair cut again because they will move back the 5k/W again. I hate to be a pessimist here, but we need to see some VIN, Invite and Delivery action soon. I know there has been a nice uptick but it seems to just be back to where it was before the slowdown. We should recognize a real uptick that would feel like 2k+. Ideally, we start to see more VINs registered next week and more invites going out about the same time. Then deliveries coming to a crescendo in the last week of the month.

I agree. We are going to get some mean hair cuts to the share price over the next few week.

The overall market and Tesla have totally disconnected. The further the market rises, the worse we will do as more people bail. If the news continues to get worse and worse and worse, as it has, we will drop quicker and further than we have at any point in the last year.

Tesla shareholders are NOT being rewarded for the risk we are taking.

All risk, no reward.

I agree. We are going to get some mean hair cuts to the share price over the next few week.

The overall market and Tesla have totally disconnected. The further the market rises, the worse we will do as more people bail. If the news continues to get worse and worse and worse, as it has, we will drop quicker and further than we have at any point in the last year.

Tesla shareholders are NOT being rewarded for the risk we are taking.

All risk, no reward.

But.. It could also turn on a dime and rocket upwards. Seen it a dozens times in the last year or so. It doesnt take much, just hit the damn numbers and reaffirm 5k a week in Q2.

Im so confused. I bought both puts and calls today in TSLA and both ended up in the green. Am I doing this right? Not like big winners, actually both are marginal. But I would expect one to be down and the other up. I always feel dirty buying TSLA puts, but I like to hedge this thing because its been bonkers. By the end of the day, I had no idea which to sell, so im stuck with both.
Part of the "time value" of options is related to volatility of the stock, which may be related to the volatility of the market as a whole. I guess today with a good jobs report and tariff news and meetings between dueling dictators, if the volatility increased with little movement in the actual stock price it's possible for both to go up.

Part of the time value of options is related to volatility of the stock, which may be related to the volatility of the market as a whole. I guess today with a good jobs report and tariff news and meetings between dueling dictators, if the volatility increased with little movement in the actual stock price it's possible for both to go up.

I have zero discipline while im learning. But I can see some value in just putting in limit orders and if they dont fill at the price I want, then I dont want the risk. I did that in this case. I put in a an order for PUT if the stock got to a certain point and a CALL if the stock went down. The put fired. But I had also bought a short term call in between..I am a chaotic trader at this point. So you probably nailed it. Its been an erratic stock, which is why I kept both. One will be be worth less next week and one will be worth more. Hopefully.

Yeah. This stock trades like trash.

We went down with the market correction and just...keep...going...down...even as everything goes back up.

Netflix up nearly 100% in the past 3 months. Amazon up 50% in the past few months after a 500% gain over the past couple years.

Nasdaq all-time highs AGAIN.

We were $350ish at the last time Nasdaq was at an ATH. Now we are $320...

TRASH stock. But I won't sell so I guess I lose the game.
To be honest, I totally understand your frustration but it's the FOMO that keeps me from dumping any shares. I assume that applies to everyone here. You don't want the minute that you dump the shares and it just shoots up like a rocket. While at the same time, maybe it's good to take a step back and reconsider whether it's good to keep holding on or it's better to just invest in other companies that are shooting up at the moment and come back once we have confirmation that Tesla can pull of the mass production. What's the most that you can lose from missing the initial take-off? Probably not much, but no one knows for certain. This is the dilemma I have on a daily basis and so far it's eating me alive.

To be honest, I totally understand your frustration but it's the FOMO that keeps me from dumping any shares. I assume that applies to everyone here. You don't want the minute that you dump the shares and it just shoots up like a rocket. While at the same time, maybe it's good to take a step back and reconsider whether it's good to keep holding on or it's better to just invest in other companies that are shooting up at the moment and come back once we have confirmation that Tesla can pull of the mass production. What's the most that you can lose from missing the initial take-off? Probably not much, but no one knows for certain. This is the dilemma I have on a daily basis and so far it's eating me alive.

Yeah. Knowing this stock, you could probably wait until they've announced they are making 5,000 cars a week and still get in...because in the upside-down world we live in, the stock will probably drop when that news gets announced.

Basically, this stock makes anyone holding it through these difficult times feel stupid. You get absolutely no reward for investing in uncertainty. Every time things turn around, there is plenty of time to get back in. This stock NEVER punishes those sitting on the sidelines. Literally h

Might as well pop into Netflix after a 5000% gain...if you had done that last week, you'd be better off than had you held Tesla for a year.

Or just go buy an index fund that requires zero thought...you'd be up nearly 15% in just 2 weeks...better than being down another 15% here.

• Love
Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Status
Not open for further replies.