Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My TSLA Share positions started to get loaned out again. New wave of shorts.

Ditto here this morning (at Fidelity). I had assumed covering was contributing to the SP increase but this may suggest strong buying interest overcoming increased shorting. Would be nice to get an update from Ihor D but from his Twitter account it looks like he may be in the hospital.

Good assessment why analysts are missing basic factors that determine success or failure in the EV business ...

I find the air filtration aspect most interesting. I hated the smell of diesel cars in front of my 2015 VW eGolf, would enter the cabin pretty quickly. And when the model 3 came out I was really disappointed not to see the biodefense filter mode being part of the PUP. But now after owning the Model 3 for a week, I never smelt anything bad entering the cabin, so looks like the air filters are actually quite good as they are standard

No they don’t. As one example off the top of my head, they could simply discontinue it all together and keep on moving forward with future models. The point of Tesla is not to be the next Ford, GM, or BMW, it is to transition the world. After all this time of watching Tesla be outside the box and people still want to put them back in the OEM box. Repeating myself: there are more important tasks for Tesla than refreshing S and X.

Tesla needs profits from S and X to be profitable, at least in the short to medium term.

And becoming profitable is necessary for Tesla to help transition the world. There is not an Angel Investor out there with an infinite pot of cash to subsidize Tesla forever.

Tesla needs profits from S and X to be profitable, at least in the short to medium term.

And becoming profitable is necessary for Tesla to help transition the world. There is not an Angel Investor out there with an infinite pot of cash to subsidize Tesla forever.

Never said otherwise. The context of the original post stipulated large volume of Model 3. At that stage Tesla won’t need S or X profits, therefore no need to refresh them. Indeed, better to use the money for refreshing to bring forward volume for Y, Semi and pickup.

You’re argument is not convincing for refresh.

• Disagree
Reactions: MitchJi
Never said otherwise. The context of the original post stipulated large volume of Model 3. At that stage Tesla won’t need S or X profits, therefore no need to refresh them. Indeed, better to use the money for refreshing to bring forward volume for Y, Semi and pickup.

Model S needs refresh soon not after Model 3 is at 1M per year.

Tesla needs refresh to keep Model S at 50k plus units per year over the next two years.

The amount of money needed for refresh brings excellent bang for the buck but is a drop in the bucket for bringing the Semi or pickup to mass production.

You're argument against refresh is unconvincing.

Dropping Model S is just plain laughable.

I don't think any arguments here on TMC would be convincing to the point where people can quantitatively prove one way gets better ROI than the other. Only Tesla would know that, and only Tesla knows when they will build the next GGF and Semi/MY production lines, what the CapEx will look like when that happens.

I can see a couple arguments for refresh:

1) refresh will likely cost much less CapEx than building new line, so if demand of S/X start to drop, especially S, because of people going to M3 (if M3 availability improves), then refresh could be a cheaper way to get more revenue coming in, also much quicker than building new production lines for MY/semi.

2) some refresh could improve economy of scale with M3, such as 2170 cell format and pack/module design, maybe even switching the motor from AC induction to PM

I don't think any arguments here on TMC would be convincing to the point where people can quantitatively prove one way gets better ROI than the other. Only Tesla would know that, and only Tesla knows when they will build the next GGF and Semi/MY production lines, what the CapEx will look like when that happens.

I can see a couple arguments for refresh:

1) refresh will likely cost much less CapEx than building new line, so if demand of S/X start to drop, especially S, because of people going to M3 (if M3 availability improves), then refresh could be a cheaper way to get more revenue coming in, also much quicker than building new production lines for MY/semi.

2) some refresh could improve economy of scale with M3, such as 2170 cell format and pack/module design, maybe even switching the motor from AC induction to PM

1) Wasted money. Only if Model 3 doesn’t ramp to profitability (5000/wk) in a reasonable length of time, in which case a refresh isn’t going to bail Tesla out. There’s no need to keep demand up for S or C if Tesla is pumping out the 3 followed closely by the Y.

2) Don’t see it.

I’m not sure why people are so stuck on S and X. They were merely stepping stones to the granddaddy of them all - the affordable EV. Add the Y and a pickup and there’s no need for either.

Status
Not open for further replies.