Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From your link:

There are candidates directly addressing their concerns, and they aren't Biden.

Yet, Biden is getting all the black vote now and not Sanders. Why is that if Sanders is the better candidate for their concerns?

How the 2020 candidates break down in the polls so far

"The candidates’ rankings among black voters has mirrored Democratic voters at-large, with one notable exception: Black voters consistently prefer Kamala Harris to Elizabeth Warren. But Biden’s lead among this critical demographic has remained stable and sizable in Morning Consult’s polling. At his best, Biden crested to 29 points above the next nearest candidate, Bernie Sanders, the week before the first Democratic debate."

Last edited:
Not all, but a good number of you who are analyzing various members of the Democratic [un]Usual Suspects are quite transparent in whom YOU wish to see in the Oval Office.

There’s nothing intrinsically wrong or even inappropriate in that, unless you combine same with a façade of being disinterested. Then your writings are just a giggle and worth skipping over.

Caveat Scriptor.

Likely because they aren't paying close attention yet. Not to mention Biden is not "getting all the black vote now", as even your link shows.

Biden is getting 40% of the black vote and the next are 20 points behind. That is a sizable plurality. If Biden doesn't make it through the primary, that vote has to go somewhere. It didn't go for Hillary in the 2016 general and was one reason why she lost. It seems like Warren would repeat this effect. I'm still not sure if Sanders or Harris would benefit from this vote. Whoever does will likely be the nominee.

Yet, Biden is getting all the black vote now and not Sanders. Why is that if Sanders is the better candidate for their concerns?
AA voters have long supported the Democratic machine.

BTW, most younger AA voters don't support Biden.

If Biden doesn't make it through the primary, that vote has to go somewhere. It didn't go for Hillary in the 2016 general and was one reason why she lost.
You are again getting confused between primary & general. Its like saying the voters who wanted to vote for Rubio in '16 primary didn't vote in '16 general. That is not what happened - overwhelmingly (like >90%) voted for Trump.

It didn't go for Hillary in the 2016 general and was one reason why she lost.
This isn't 2016, Hillary isn't a candidate now, and most people just assumed Hillary would win, which is probably why a lot of people didn't even bother to vote. Some people were so sure she would win they voted for Trump in protest, even though they didn't want him to win. 2016 was a very unusual event.

Don't make Trump's mistake and double down on the base. Expand to a larger audience.

I'm really impressed with what you bring to this thread, especially your work on party history, which I avoided in 30 plus years teaching Govt 1. And I'm slowly coming closer to worrying about winning, especially after reading the Edsall piece.

You didn't say this, and perhaps you do not think the mere selection of a woman at the top of the ticket was just appealing to the base. There's some evidence Republican women in the suburbs are breaking loose from their party. That is the kind of salami tactics many advocate are needed for victory. A woman at the top would have a better chance. At least Joe Biden is out on that effort.

Thinking very crudely but honestly we have to consider what I guess is now called identity politics. Elsewhere there is good evidence both the older black vote and the younger will support whoever the Dems nominate but their concerns must be addressed. That suggests a VP choice. My first choice would be Mayor Pete. Objectively as a gay man he has faced some of the shame of being an "other" as have blacks, but not as systematic, widespread, and embedded deeply in our institutions, of course. Besides, being white the tag is not obvious. There might be some peeling off of the Republican male vote with that choice. (I wouldn't make that choice for that reason, I'm just blown away by the way he performs in interviews.) Of course he has a severe and direct problem as Mayor with his own nightmare of police and triggers so he may have fatal problems politically. If Warren at the top that leaves another minority pick and Harris would be out. I know the argument is sexist as hell but two women in the top places will be considered by some either brilliant or too much at once. Most of the women I know would wonder at an all female ticket. (See how ambiguity can thread the needle.:eek:)

Any of the other choices of males of color would aid the ticket. My safer number two choice would be Booker. My candor here has probably raised so much fur I should quit rather than fall lower. But it would help whoever ends at the top if they award their competitors with cabinet positions—announced soonest—and campaigned with them. (Anyone need more staff?) Booker, Castro, Harris would be great AGs. I think Andrew Yang would be a great science advisor or head of an office of technology assessment or director of OMB.

The Dems have a very deep bench. They are also fighting for policies approved by a super-majority of public opinion opposite a party distinguished for fighting against and reversing progress. That should count for something.

Reactions: AZRI11 and Unpilot
“Dems have a very deep bench”. This not only is true, but bodes superbly well for the possibility of a successful Democratic candidate being able to amass a magnificent Cabinet, (big if here) IF a good fraction of those seeking the nomination possess the constitution to play second fiddle. Traditionally, Presidential wannabes have an ego unfathomable by those of us uninterested in running for office, and that is antithetical to being their vanquisher’s Secretary of SecondClassStatesmanshiphoodment. Moreover, getting A, B & C to be Secretary of 1, 2 & 3 is (universally?) NOT broadcast prior to an election, thus also is not a tool usable in the War Against 45.

Jim Chanos desperately trying to resuscitate his gaffe prone boi Biden :rolleyes: . I would rather have Trump re-elected than this guy - better a known nutcase than an unknown one.

upload_2019-9-1_15-9-7.png

Reactions: AZRI11
I'm really impressed with what you bring to this thread, especially your work on party history, which I avoided in 30 plus years teaching Govt 1. And I'm slowly coming closer to worrying about winning, especially after reading the Edsall piece.

You didn't say this, and perhaps you do not think the mere selection of a woman at the top of the ticket was just appealing to the base. There's some evidence Republican women in the suburbs are breaking loose from their party. That is the kind of salami tactics many advocate are needed for victory. A woman at the top would have a better chance. At least Joe Biden is out on that effort.

Thinking very crudely but honestly we have to consider what I guess is now called identity politics. Elsewhere there is good evidence both the older black vote and the younger will support whoever the Dems nominate but their concerns must be addressed. That suggests a VP choice. My first choice would be Mayor Pete. Objectively as a gay man he has faced some of the shame of being an "other" as have blacks, but not as systematic, widespread, and embedded deeply in our institutions, of course. Besides, being white the tag is not obvious. There might be some peeling off of the Republican male vote with that choice. (I wouldn't make that choice for that reason, I'm just blown away by the way he performs in interviews.) Of course he has a severe and direct problem as Mayor with his own nightmare of police and triggers so he may have fatal problems politically. If Warren at the top that leaves another minority pick and Harris would be out. I know the argument is sexist as hell but two women in the top places will be considered by some either brilliant or too much at once. Most of the women I know would wonder at an all female ticket. (See how ambiguity can thread the needle.:eek:)

Any of the other choices of males of color would aid the ticket. My safer number two choice would be Booker. My candor here has probably raised so much fur I should quit rather than fall lower. But it would help whoever ends at the top if they award their competitors with cabinet positions—announced soonest—and campaigned with them. (Anyone need more staff?) Booker, Castro, Harris would be great AGs. I think Andrew Yang would be a great science advisor or head of an office of technology assessment or director of OMB.

The Dems have a very deep bench. They are also fighting for policies approved by a super-majority of public opinion opposite a party distinguished for fighting against and reversing progress. That should count for something.

Whoever the nominee ends up being, they could easily nominate many of their competition from the primaries for cabinet posts. Almost all are qualified for at least one cabinet post.

The problem with a diverse country and especially with the more diverse party in that country, finding the perfect candidate is difficult. I can find positives and negatives about every candidate in the field.

People talk about identity politics like it's just something we need to live with. We should be trying to tamp that down rather than feed it. It not only makes it more difficult to sort out a filed like this, it creates more tribalism, which is toxic to the unity of the country.

The world has become more tribal in the last 20 years. In the US conservative media and the Republicans have capitalized on it to make US politics even more tribal. We have differences that have been there since the beginning, but they have been amplified. In the past this sort of thing has led to war many times. Lots of people are talking about tribalism as something that needs to be dealt with in politics, but few are raising the alarm bells that it's not a feature of modern politics, it's a symptom of a cancer in the system.

As for the Democratic nominee, there is a large part of me who just wants to see the process settled. I've already decided I'll vote for whoever is nominated and the few I would be concerned about are suck longshots they are highly unlikely to get the nomination. I'm much more concerned about the Senate. Winning that back is the heavy lift for the Democrats.

Last edited:
70's are the new 60's. Bernie seems quite robust and energetic.

As we all know, one term of a presidency lasts 4 years. At that age and beyond, any resemblance of energy and health can vanish at pretty much any moment. Younger people that are in their prime are more deserved for the role. Obama was a great age for a 2 term president. The nation shouldn’t ignore the elephant in the room here with candidates at these ages.

As we all know, one term of a presidency lasts 4 years. At that age and beyond, any resemblance of energy and health can vanish at pretty much any moment. Younger people that are in their prime are more deserved for the role. Obama was a great age for a 2 term president. The nation shouldn’t ignore the elephant in the room here with candidates at these ages.
Yeah, Sanders/Warren for the next 12-16 years

Reactions: STARR X and JRP3
I prefer someone with the right ideas but much older than someone younger with terrible ideas, like GWB. Ofcourse those are not the only choices - you can have older people with terrible ideas like Biden & Trump ;)

We should remember that the (one of the) best President ever was wheel chair bound.

Reactions: bhtooefr and JRP3
Status
Not open for further replies.