Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Warren is garbage. She is an exposed opportunistic hypocrite, starting with this ridiculous Native American thing.

Her six percent wealth tax on billionaires would destroy both Tesla and SpaceX. I mean obliterate. Imagine Musk selling billions of TSLA every year just to pay the tax. It would be game over for Tesla.

If she is the best the Democrats can do then just count me out of this human race thing. Will go sign up for Plutonian dictatorship.

The wealth tax is a DOA idea. It would almost certainly require a constitutional amendment, or if not it the only existing provision in the constitution would require the tax to be equal from each state so an equal amount would have to come from West Virginia as from California. The California billionaires would either end up paying a pittance or the richest in West Virginia would have all their wealth wiped out the first year.

All politicians throw out pie in the sky ideas during elections. This is one of them. What she would likely do it push to restructure the tax code so the richest pay more.

Many of the Democratic candidates are making the same mistake that happened in the recent UK election. There was one front and center issue that every person voting had on their mind: Brexit. The country is deeply split over it, but the divide does not fall along party lines. A lot of white working class voters who have always voted Labour are pro-Brexit and a lot of traditionally Tory voters are Remainers.

Boris Johnson took a simple approach with his pro-Brexit message: "Get Brexit done". Jeremy Corbin, the Labour leader, had a very muddled message about Brexit and talked about everything else. Even though there were lots of conservatives willing to hold their nose and vote for Labour if he took a stand to stop Brexit, Labour lost in one of the biggest landslides in the UK since the 1930s.

In the US the #1 issue is about Donald Trump. The biggest concern among Democratic primary voters is who can beat Trump. Free college tuition, Medicare for all, and the rest are all pipe dreams at this point. If the Democrats defeat Trump and get enough control of the Legislative Branch to get anything done, the first term and possibly the second of the next president will be all about fixing the damage done. Most people don't realize the extent of damage already done. This book outlines some of the deep damage being done:
https://www.amazon.com/Even-Worse-T...'s+worse+than+you+think&qid=1576415236&sr=8-1

Biden remains strong in the polls because even though the Democratic insiders cringe whenever he opens his mouth, he has his eye on the only thing that really matters right now. We need a lot of the things the Democratic candidates are talking about in at least some measure, but plotting the course to the next destination takes a back seat when a U-boat just hit the ship with a full spread of torpedoes. #1 job at that point is saving the ship and/or the crew.

Every Democratic candidate has problems and none have the natural talents at selling themselves that Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, and some of the charismatic candidates of the past had. Those are the unicorns in politics. Between unicorns we have to make do with the best of what we've got. I can make a pros and cons list for every candidate running on the Democratic side and there are serious cons for every top tier candidate. The top tier candidate are top tier because they all have some pros too. The also-rans often don't have a lot of pros going for them (among them doing a poor job of letting the country know who they are).

All the candidates polling above about 5% would be equally up to the main task of the next president: picking up the pieces and putting things back together again. Each would do it differently, but I don't see where any of them would do a better or worse job of it. All are about equally up to the task.

It's a good thing to think about the ideal political climate, and if the Republicans end losing big in 2020 and implode leaving the right incapable of winning many elections for a while (something Rick Wilson was predicting in 2015 if the Republicans didn't stop Trump early), it may be possible to start implementing some new liberal ideas by 2022 or 2024, but we need to get our allies to trust us again first, repair the damage to the federal bureaucracy, and deal with a population who is showing signs of PTSD from Trump's mayhem.

• Helpful
Reactions: UrsS and traxila
From main:

In the U.S., with some states have 20% or more of the populations below the poverty line and in most areas a moribund public transportation system, raising the gas tax penalizes low income families. There's almost zero possibility of low income families purchasing any electric car in the near future.

Which is why you make it revenue-neutral. Ignoring the whole thing where the US is in a unique position to print money without consequence (and if that money printing generates value equivalent to the money printed, inflation shouldn't even happen), if you, say, take half of the proceeds and directly use it to refund the lowest income brackets, and the other half to subsidize programs to reduce carbon emissions (mass transit, higher-density housing, efficient housing, EV tax credits, cycling infrastructure, etc., etc.), you get the incentive to reduce consumption without lower-income people bearing the cost.

There is no chance she'd get a six percent wealth tax so I wouldn't worry about that.

Don't think it is so easy to dismiss like that. Want to agree with you, but I have seen an increasing amount of collapsing system checks and balances across governments - local, state and federal. One party rule seems to immediately transform into hurried ridiculous legislation that no one actually reads that gets rammed through. Democrats have a shot at this for next election I think. It is really hard for a thinking person to defend and support the current administration. Lack of a galvanized base could lead to the Republicans getting wiped out. There was a time not too long ago when I would rejoiced over this.

This will probably not happen, but I have definitely learned to fear a lack of gridlock in politics.

May I remind you to go look at the popular vote, which in the US means little, since “winning by about 3 million votes “ means she lost
But the constitution doesn't care about the popular vote.

The wealth tax is a DOA idea. It would almost certainly require a constitutional amendment, or if not it the only existing provision in the constitution would require the tax to be equal from each state so an equal amount would have to come from West Virginia as from California.
Not that straight forward. Would end up in supreme court.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

BTW, its not that equal amount would have to come from each state - but it needs to be proportional to population. Anyway as the article makes clear - there are contradictory provisions in the constitution and case law.

Last edited:
It is really hard for a thinking person to defend and support the current administration. Lack of a galvanized base could lead to the Republicans getting wiped out.
Are we living in the same country ?

40% of population supports Trump. Does that look like lack of galvanized base ?

What a lot of people don't understand is that Republicans hear a completely different set of "facts" from their preferred media. All the nonsensical, illogical, incoherent things Republicans on the impeachment related hearings have one goal. To act as soundbites for their media. It is most likely that Republicans think the impeachment hearings have completely exonerated Trump but the evil Democrats are still impeaching him - not the truth where not one person testifying said anything to support Trump's case (which itself is not clear).

It is impossible to underestimate the level of information a disengaged person has. There are people in UK who actually said they want a change - so they are voting for Tories (even though Tories are in power for several years now).

Having voted in every election I was eligible for since 1969, local, state and federal, you are both correct and incorrect.
Only the presidential election doesn’t “care”
_All_ the rest do.
Sure - the context was presidential election. State and local elections are for the most part covered by state constitutions, I'd think, anyway. Ofcourse, senators were not directly elected until the 17th constitutional amendment in 1913.

Most importantly the founders didn't envision the predominance of parties. Infact they expressly hoped there won't be any parties. One of the main reasons US constitution has difficulty coping with partisanship.

Having freedom of assembly in the first amendment, and then trying to ignore the influence of parties elsewhere in the structure of the Constitution, was always doomed. (And, realistically, parties would happen under the table even if freedom of assembly wasn't in the first amendment.)

The way to deal with parties is to explicitly acknowledge them, and then design policies that prevent them from concentrating power as much as possible through encouraging party proliferation.

Reactions: winfield100
LOL ppl are still driving unbelted? I don't get it. It's 2019. Do we still think it looks cooler? Or is there some other reason.

Republicans - they think (know?) that the laws(of physics) do not apply to them.
keep politics out of this forum:mad: - - - but this is physics, not politics :D:p - - - and it is Sunday !

Sure - the context was presidential election. State and local elections are for the most part covered by state constitutions, I'd think, anyway. Ofcourse, senators were not directly elected until the 17th constitutional amendment in 1913.

Most importantly the founders didn't envision the predominance of parties. Infact they expressly hoped there won't be any parties. One of the main reasons US constitution has difficulty coping with partisanship.
@EVNow
Just curious
Have you helped register any voters?

Since swampy had to give a disagree I guess he's never heard of the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1921 Federal Aid Highway Act of 1921 - Wikipedia
No, the reason I disagreed is because governments often get involved in the inevitable. So what? That is why you see governments passing laws to restrict ICE sales/ ownership at some time in the future. Politicians are grifters. They simply hold their finger up to the wind, and where that is pointing, they then declare they made it happen.
And if their plan blows up (aka ACA) they then propose to swoop in with the new solution. :rolleyes:

Do you really think that without that law passing (which affected 11 states at the time) we would all still be riding in horse and buggies? ;):D

Do you really think that without that law passing (which affected 11 states at the time) we would all still be riding in horse and buggies? ;):D

If we didn't have any roads built by the government and subsidies for oil production it likely would have taken much longer. No one is saying EV's won't win eventually, we are just pointing out the simple fact that ICE vehicles did not blossom in some fantasy free market world. They had help from the beginning.
Government support, Pfund adds, has resulted in cheap energy and is needed to continue meeting America’s future energy demands and continued economic growth. If anything, she argues, the study shows renewables have been undersubsidized.

“Subsidies are a proven tool. And there is money to be made out there,” Pfund says. “Subsidies are really the American way.”
Long History Of U.S. Energy Subsidies | December 19, 2011 Issue - Vol. 89 Issue 51 | Chemical & Engineering News

Are we living in the same country ?

40% of population supports Trump. Does that look like lack of galvanized base ?

What a lot of people don't understand is that Republicans hear a completely different set of "facts" from their preferred media. All the nonsensical, illogical, incoherent things Republicans on the impeachment related hearings have one goal. To act as soundbites for their media. It is most likely that Republicans think the impeachment hearings have completely exonerated Trump but the evil Democrats are still impeaching him - not the truth where not one person testifying said anything to support Trump's case (which itself is not clear).

It is impossible to underestimate the level of information a disengaged person has. There are people in UK who actually said they want a change - so they are voting for Tories (even though Tories are in power for several years now).

Don’t understand your response.

My point was that the Democrats have a shot at winning the Presidency and all of Congress with authority.

If this were to happen no one should be surprised at the idiocies that may take place in the name of a ‘mandate’ . Including a wealth tax.

My point was that the Democrats have a shot at winning the Presidency and all of Congress with authority.

If this were to happen no one should be surprised at the idiocies that may take place in the name of a ‘mandate’ . Including a wealth tax.

Even with a supermajority in the Senate, the Dems won't be able to pass a wealth tax without a Constitutional Amendment requiring 35 states to agree.

Opinion | The Big Problem With Wealth Taxes

That being said, a financial transaction tax is very likely to pass and would be a good start to raise revenue.

Even with a supermajority in the Senate, the Dems won't be able to pass a wealth tax without a Constitutional Amendment requiring 35 states to agree.

Opinion | The Big Problem With Wealth Taxes

That being said, a financial transaction tax is very likely to pass and would be a good start to raise revenue.

Honestly this is good news. Thank you for that.

There are very good ways to raise taxes and revenues without resorting to a wealth tax.

I don't expect a Dem president and majority in Congress/Senate to pass major legislation. Unlike Trump & Republicans - I don't think the Dem president would become a dictator of the party that nobody wants to cross.

BTW, wealth tax is actually very popular. Definitely it would have the mandate.

It is also very disruptive when most of the wealth is in one or two companies for founders like Musk, with little income. Hopefully they will find ways around it.

New poll finds overwhelming support for an annual wealth tax

The Hill-HarrisX survey released Wednesday found that 74 percent of registered voters back an annual 2 percent tax on people with assets over $50 million, and a 3 percent tax on people with assets in excess of $1 billion.​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.