Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some irregularity in Iowa tonight. In 2016 about 80% of polls reported by 10:30, this year only 2% have reported by 10:30.

Sounds like Bernie won and the DNC doesn't want him to get the publicity tonight.

IMG_20200203_185410.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like Bernie won and the DNC doesn't want him to get the publicity tonight.

View attachment 507663

I watched some of the coverage on MSNBC. Many precincts were taking an unusually long time to get consensus and the Democrats have a new system for reporting. Bernie was doing OK in some precincts, but in some he didn't meet the minimum threshold and those people had to go with their second or third choice (or go home without voting).

Latest reports say there were "inconsistencies" in the results, which could be someone putting their thumb on the scale, or it could just be the new system fell on it's face.

Sometimes a cigar if just a cigar. We'll know more tomorrow.

I think we can finally put the myth of Biden's electability to rest if he can't do better than 4th in white middle America.

In the last several election cycles that nominee has been the winner of the South Carolina primary. Iowa and New Hampshire is more important for narrowing the field that predictive of the eventual winner. There is always a positive boost to candidates in or near their home state. This helped both Buttigeig and Klobachar. Those two candidates probably drew a number of caucus attendees who would have gone for Biden if the choice was just Biden or Bernie.

The polls going into Iowa were all over the map . The David Binder poll from a few days ago had the winners nailed down pretty well:
https://www.focusonruralamerica.com/2020/02/03/caucus-day-poll-release/

The caucus process eliminates the low popularity candidates through a process of viability. People supporting non-viable candidates have to switch their vote to one of the viable candidates. That had the effect of increasing the percentage of each candidate in the final count vs the poll. Most of the supporters of non-viable candidates switched to Buttigieg or Sanders.

This is just the beginning of a long process. In the next month I expect many candidates who are not getting any traction will be dropping out and this will shift the vote to other candidates. I expect Warren and Bernie will be the two top candidates in New Hampshire. They are from neighboring states.

Status
Not open for further replies.