Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What concerns me even more than Trump's behavior is the political malpractice on the part of the Republicans.

They're betraying their oaths to the country and sabotaging democracy itself in order to try to *stay on the good side of an extremely unpopular malignant narcissist*, and it isn't even *working* because you can never stay on the good side of a malignant narcissist.

Republican electeds have degenerated into pathetic cult followers. It is the *moral duty* of every citizen to vote them out of office.

They're betraying their oaths to the country and sabotaging democracy itself in order to try to *stay on the good side of an extremely unpopular malignant narcissist*, and it isn't even *working* because you can never stay on the good side of a malignant narcissist.

Republican electeds have degenerated into pathetic cult followers. It is the *moral duty* of every citizen to vote them out of office.

I've begun reading fivethirtyeight.com regularly. Their 2018 election forecast has Republicans leaving the House in very large numbers:
2018 House Forecast

(model current avg gain is 35 seats for Democrats, with 23 needed for a majority).

Whether you believe their modeling and forecasting method is a different question.

Suppose when Trump is really, really backed into a corner, he somehow tries to nuke someone. What an irony, our democracy will likely be saved by a coup d'état by the army? In fact, according to Woodward, that is already happening on lessor provocations. We do know from at least two sources this was of concern toward the end of the Nixon administration.

Alternatively, he could get so enraged he triggers a fatal stroke or heart attack. (Like Bill Clinton he likes McDonald's hamburgers.) If a non-fatal stroke, to forestall violence on the part of his supporters—which he's already stoking if the coming election turns out unfavorably—one could foresee the necessity of having his living body lie on life support in the capitol rotunda. Much like a comatose Lenin or Stalin, in the day, for all to see and pray for like each of us in our different ways. Fully conscious but moot, that would be worse for him than death, except for the parade of supporters who gather to revere him. He could have a military honor guard periodically perform the usual ritual of change. One small point insisted upon by Ivanka, ever the stylish acolyte, they must have black bear hats as in Britain.:rolleyes:

What a film that would make. Where is Steven Mnuchin when we need him, or Steve Bannon for that matter?

• Funny
Reactions: neroden
neroden,
Yes, I did know it. I also know there is a huge difference between computers/email/capability from the Powell era to the Clinton era. I also know that Colin screwed up with his UN presentation. He knows it and has quietly left the public arena. We all make mistakes. Its how we own up to them and move on that define character.

There is no defending Clinton. Email obfuscation. Character/reputation assignation (Bill's accusers). Building wealth while in public service. These types of people need to be kicked to the private sector curb. Allowing anyone of their character, either blue or red, to participate in public service is a mistake and yet it is one we willingly make on an ever increasing scale. We have the government we deserve. We have only to look in the mirror to identify why government is a little more dysfunctional every day.

Did you know that every Secretary of State since they started using email had used private email servers, *because the government servers were insecure*? I bet you didn't. And yet it is true. For some reason nobody went after Colin Powell about it.

This does show that the Department of State was exceptionally badly organized, but has nothing to do with criminality.
replying to the above

I'm glad you feel the same way about Madeline Albright and Colin Powell as you do about Hillary Clinton.

But the real rot comes from the Reagan administration -- the Iran-Contra criminals like Admiral Poindexter were allowed to come *back* during the GWB administration. Poindexter should have been executed by firing squad for treason (selling weapons to an official enemy of the US in order to transfer money to *another* official enemy of the US!), so it was particularly bad.

We really do have to start having standards, but we're starting from such a bad place they can't afford to be too high. Frankly I think using non-government email servers is quite unimportant compared to committing double treason or hiring people who have confessed to double treason.

Reactions: woof
Never forget that this double traitor was actually hired by the GW Bush administration and was involved in the unconstitutional NSA program to spy on all Americans.

The Republican Party is a treasonous organization at this point. I can't care about email impropriety by comparison.

Reactions: JRP3
Back to my reality, do any of you hot shot historians, etc., know if the Greeks had a temple for ignorance or a god of ignorance?

If not the movie of a temple for Trump, what about a monument in D.C. for ignorance? There could be pillars in front with Archie Bunker lookalikes holding up a massive arch made of scales that are tilted, the walls could be decorated with quotations like "Alternative Facts," "Truth is not Truth," "Women are never good at math," "It depends on what your definition of 'is' is", all the slogans of Big Brother, and endless light shows of Stephen Colbert and John Stewart. I could go on but Krugerrand's cat is funnier.

Back to my reality, do any of you hot shot historians, etc., know if the Greeks had a temple for ignorance or a god of ignorance?

If not the movie of a temple for Trump, what about a monument in D.C. for ignorance? There could be pillars in front with Archie Bunker lookalikes holding up a massive arch made of scales that are tilted, the walls could be decorated with quotations like "Alternative Facts," "Truth is not Truth," "Women are never good at math," "It depends on what your definition of 'is' is", all the slogans of Big Brother, and endless light shows of Stephen Colbert and John Stewart. I could go on but Krugerrand's cat is funnier.

There is Koalemos:
Koalemos - Wikipedia

But no temple
And Trump is not likely to get one either
Maybe a museum of horrors along with other tyrants of history
Or just a building of baboons, dedicated to Trump

Does anyone know? Are Trump's arithmetic skills as poor as his reading and speaking skills? I haven't mentioned math skills, since it seems apparent that he has no logic skills.

That's like saying the losers of a conflict get what they deserve.

As Trump meant of McCain as a POW.

Edit: I was interviewed by the local Fox affiliate at the height of the Iranian hostage crisis. When I suggested we should apologize for overthrowing the government of Iran which is what the hostage takers wanted in order to get their release. The interviewer asked, "wouldn't that be like apologizing when someone has a gun at your head?" I don't remember what I mumbled in reply but wanted to say, "precisely, you dumb ass." At the time Carter dismissed the suggestion as "ancient history." The hostages got their revenge by not meeting Cater in Germany after their release. Just goes to show how far our foreign policy pretentions are so off the mark of reality and common sense. I suppose the price of maintaining the emperor superpower has clothes.

Last edited:
Does anyone know? Are Trump's arithmetic skills as poor as his reading and speaking skills? I haven't mentioned math skills, since it seems apparent that he has no logic skills.
Someone smarter than me said once "When a person speaks you get a window into their mind" Since Trump speaks a lot we all get a great view into his....um....lumpy grey mass...and it is not a encouraging sight.

So no I would guess he has no math skills....or any skills really. He is just loud and obnoxious and apparently that is enough.

Never forget that this double traitor was actually hired by the GW Bush administration and was involved in the unconstitutional NSA program to spy on all Americans.

The Republican Party is a treasonous organization at this point. I can't care about email impropriety by comparison.

Selectively caring is tribalism. Tribalism gives the other side an excuse to dismiss your points. Requiring quality people across the board is the only way out.

That's like saying the losers of a conflict get what they deserve.

My point was not punitive but more an attempt to recognize who we are today in an effort to understand who we might be tomorrow. We have progressively elected more and more corrupt/amoral people on either side of the isle. We must like it this way and that was my point.

I'm in no position to meter out justice/consequences nor would I ever want to be. Life will do fine in that task without my help.

I have pointed out that Trump is essentially Archie Bunker, but most Millennials wouldn't get the reference. My father had a friend who was like Archie Bunker and I think he liked All in the Family because Archie reminded him of his friend.

Though the quote about the definition of "is" doesn't really belong there. My SO (an attorney) was paying close attention to the whole thing with Clinton and the testimony as she was a law clerk at the time (some states allow people to do an apprenticeship to become an attorney rather than go to law school, Washington is one state and California does it, I think there are others too). She said within the context of the rulings from the judge and the other wranglings of the case, Clinton was making an actual legal argument, though out of context it just sounds ridiculous.

Clinton was impeached for lying under oath, but the judge had already defined "sexual relations" in the context of the proceedings and under the definition the judge had given, Clinton did not have sexual relations with Lewinsky and was technically telling the truth.

So much in court cases hangs on the definition of terms. Lots of people have claimed Trump committed treason if he colluded with Russia. In common understanding of the term, if he did what we think he did, it's treason, but not under the constitution and law of the United States. The US constitution has one of the narrowest definitions of treason in the world and SCOTUS has further narrowed it.

Russia is a hostile power to the United States and it could be argued that their interference in the 2016 election was an act of war, but the United States is not at war with Russia and technically never has been. Therefore aiding Russia in attacking the 2016 election is not treason, however it's a violation of a number of other laws including helping a foreign power influence a US election and contributing to a conspiracy against the United States. The conspiracy laws are basically a back door treason statute. It doesn't carry the death penalty, but it's otherwise a treason law.

So technically nobody in this mess can be charged with treason.

I've been learning a lot about the fine points of the law lately...

There was an article I read a few months back. I forget where. The author had lived next door to a retired Warton economics professor. He said the professor died a few years ago, but whenever Trump came up in the news the professor would start telling tales of Trump's college days. He claimed Trump was the dumbest student he ever had and suspected Trump only made it through by paying other people to do his work for him, but the professor could never prove it.

Someone smarter than me said once "When a person speaks you get a window into their mind" Since Trump speaks a lot we all get a great view into his....um....lumpy grey mass...and it is not a encouraging sight.

So no I would guess he has no math skills....or any skills really. He is just loud and obnoxious and apparently that is enough.

Trump has one talent and one talent only. He knows how to sell anything to a certain demographic of people. I listened to one of his speeches when he spoke off the cuff. First I listened to the words and it was all word salad. It's obvious if you read any of the transcripts of his speeches. However, I then tuned out the words and just paid attention to the way he was speaking. If you listen to his tone, he sounds supremely confident. He projects everything he is saying is 100% the truth. In large part this is his malignant narcissism speaking. In his mind everything that comes out of his mouth is 100% the truth, even if it's 180 degrees opposite what he said 10 seconds ago. He would pass a polygraph with flying colors.

For people who listen to the words people say, he's a babbling idiot. But for people who don't really listen to the words, but go by gut feel of the presentation, he sounds like he has all the answers.

We should be grateful that Trump is as dumb as he is. If he was the least bit intelligent the United States would be well on the way to becoming the next Nazi Germany. I am very, very cautious about invoking Nazis in any conversation. I have read a lot of history and know exactly what they were about. Nothing has come closer to the 1930s/40s Nazi party as the modern Republican Party under Trump since WW II.

We had/have communism, but that is a different ideological animal. Some of the outer behaviors are the same, but the underpinnings are different. Fascism is fundamentally a very nationalistic movement. Its roots are conservative in nature. It's an us vs them attitude about the world taken to extremes.

Communism, at its roots, is an extreme liberal movement. The ideology is about lifting up the poorest and eliminating socioeconomic barriers between people. Putting everyone on the same footing. A lot of western liberals of the 20s and 30s had rather positive attitudes about communism. In practice it never worked that way. There was always a ruling "class", though they never called it that. And anyone who disputed the central government's plans were/are brutally suppressed.

The fad with communism in democracies died quickly in 1945 when the Soviets essentially raped eastern Europe after defeating Germany.

During the 30s the FBI infiltrated most communist groups in the US to keep an eye on them. They discontinued most of the program in the early 1950s because some groups had more FBI agents than actual communists and some communist groups were being run by FBI agents because there was nobody else willing to run them. McCarthy's communist witch hunt of the 50s was really like demonizing people who use typewriters instead of computers today. Or even more ridiculous, demonizing people who once used a typewriter.

In any case, I've been watching the rise of fascism within the Republican Party since the early 1990s. My family were all Republican when I was a kid, but the philosophy was more Eisenhower Republican than what it became. Basically my father is a rational fiscal conservative (don't spend money you don't have) and a social libertarian. The rest of the family followed his lead. By the late 1980s I saw those philosophical ideals were gone. George HW Bush tried to reign in the spending and raised taxes, but he paid dearly for it politically.

I left the Republicans and spent about 12 years outside of both parties. Around 2000 I saw the real fascism starting to come ot the fore with the neocons and started voting mostly Democrat because they were the only thing that could stop these clowns. The party has since continued to become more fascist, concluding (incorrectly IMO) that the reason Bush II failed was because he wasn't conservative enough rather than he took a bad idea to what I thought was going to be the most illogical extreme. I was wrong there, Trump is a doubling down on the stupid in ways I never thought possible.

I have heard people say "this election is the most important in our lifetimes" before. I often had my doubts about that, but this year I wholeheartedly do believe it to be the case. These midterms have a number of issues on the table, but the big one front and center is whether the US constitution is going to hold or whether we rip it up and become something other than a constitutional democracy.

For all their faults, the Democrats have demonstrated a commitment to following the constitution. Democratic administrations have tried to push boundaries here and there, but when the courts said, "you can't do that", they backed off. Previous Republican administrations have largely done that too. This administration does not care about the rule of law (the president doesn't even understand what that is).

This election is about stopping a rogue administration from destroying the republic. This isn't the hair on fire fake news right wing media pushed during the Clinton and Obama administrations to get their base riled up about offenses that never happened. This is real, verifiable instances of an administration doing things way beyond the bounds of what any administration ever thought of.

Every president before Trump had some love for the United States. Some were power mad and some had some crazy notions, but all followed the rule of law for the most part. There are exceptions to that, but most of the time all presidents thought they were making things better, even if it was misguided. The current president loves nothing and nobody but himself. The universe is made up of Trump and unimportant things that aren't Trump. He will gladly raise the country and the world if it makes him feel better. He is incapable of feeling guilt or regret. It served his ego need at the time and that's the only justification needed.

To people who are not narcissists, it's very difficult to understand that anyone can be that way. There is a book written by an engineering professor at a Michigan university about her sister who had a Borderline Personality Disorder called Evil Genes. Even though she's not a Psychological professional, she explored the depth of personality disorders in an attempt to understand how her sister ended up the way she did and her other siblings didn't.

She said she got one of two reactions when she tried to explain her sister to people: either "that's impossible, nobody is that way", or "let me tell you my story..." Personality disorders are something someone needs to experience first hand to really believe they exist because the way people with personality disorders think is so very different from the way neurologically normal people think that it's hard to comprehend.

I would have doubted personality disorders too until I crossed paths with a Borderline in my 20s. Narcissistic Personality Disorder is different from Borderline, but there are similarities and both live in very warped universes that are all about them.

Nice read and very informative.

One bone to pick with you. You don't think the current crop of Democrats aren't neocons? The way they celebrated McCain (the neocon's neocon) should tell you plenty. The way they are rehabilitating GWB? The way they cheer John Brennan? Who's next? Dick Cheney? I would recommend Cheney to quickly attack Trump to get back into Dem's good graces before he dies. Can you imagine what that funeral would look like?

I don't think the anti-war Democrat exists anymore. The progressive wing is all that is left to fight the military industrial complex. And maybe the libertarian leaning Republicans like Rand Paul.

Most of what you say about Trump is correct but one of the reasons he won was he campaigned to the left of HRC on war. He made HRC look like a neocon, which she is based on her policies. He isn't governing that way but there is an insight to what the voters feel about the Democrats becoming closer to the Republicans on this issue.

As for the Russian collusion story, I don't think it matters because a successful impeachment is off the table. No way the Senate gets 67 votes to remove him. Democrat voters should give up hope that he will be removed before his first term has ended.

The story continues only to weaken Trump going into 2020.

I taught a variety of books about authoritarian and totalitarian movements in a course devoted to the subject. There are shades of interpretation so one would expect smears of fascism and smears of communism. Most useful and best known was Hannah Arendt's The Origins of Totalitarianism. She offers useful models in the last part of the book and reminds us they are popular movements. I liked her distinction between authoritarianism which has a long history and totalitarianism which is new. (Reagan's UN Ambassador, Jeane Kirkpatrick, misused the distinction for political purposes.) With the strong communication tools today and AI the possibilities of totalitarianism are still more dreadful to contemplate as Orwell seems ever more prophetic over time.

I can't document Italian fascism well but vaguely remember it had some aspects of universality to it, perhaps due to influence of the Catholic Church. An eloquent and comprehensive treatment of Nazism still impresses: Peter Viereck, Metapolitics: The Roots of the Nazi Mind, which was the writ large version of his Ph.D. thesis at Harvard. He stresses the idea of the Volk and how German Kultur was made to be anti-civilization.

We are seeing the same phenomenon today, at least a segment of the White Tribe against all others. I tried to give students a flavor of what was to come in the class by asking them what it was like to be in love? As Maxim Gorky once observed, "Love is a madness due to a failure of the mind to comprehend the world." A dear friend calls it being in heat. What is described here about Trump, malignant narcissism, is certainly upping the heat of politics, daily, and for a lot of us.

The Thai have an expression, "jai yen," cool your heart meaning calm down, and "jai yen, yen," meaning relax. Trump can't relax and it will eventually kill him or his presidency. Musk at least has a direction to do good and accomplishments that are their own reward.

Many of you here have great souls. As my wife would say, "The Buddha is strong in you." Thanks.

From Market Action:

Um, everyone?

The NFL has this... weird... thing of jingoistic renditions of the national anthem and flag-worshipping. It is political, and it *demands* political protest response.

Actually, in US sports this flag-waving jingoism dates back to World War I jingoism, if I remember correctly. The government started promoting this because the US entering WWI was *very unpopular*, and they wanted to rally people to support it. They also started imprisoning people who published anti-war pamphlets, and passed a lot of unconstitutional legislation like the "Espionage Act of 1917" to infringe on people's first amendment rights.

So the NFL silent take-a-knee protests are much, much closer to the core of the First Amendment than you think.

Another thing to consider is that some of these players' employers - the teams - are fine with the protests.

Oh, and ultimately, a team without players isn't able to play, so a team owner that fires a player over a protest, when their actual job performance (sportsing the ball, not standing for the anthem) is good, is disadvantaging themselves.

Reactions: JRP3 and neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.