Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A classic parliamentary system as described by Bagehot is much more modern. Combined with the modern German system of representation would help. Also, mandate that the government is responsible for maintaining voter registration and upgrading rolls as needed. No gerrymandering. Many options, take your pick. Independent commission in California has worked well, despite my skepticism. I prefer multimember district system by state with proportional representation. Also, ranked voting (I'm vague on this—not an Americanist).

The biggest cultural shock would be the lack of honor and civic duty in most politicians, a least at the national level and today. I think the Dems by and large do have a concept of the general good. As I keep suggesting, we should demand oaths to the Preamble of the constitution and constant scrutiny of laws' adherence to those principles.

California copied Washington with the independent commission. I think it is a much fairer way to draw districts.

I think they do ranked voting in New Zealand. A friend from there explained it to me once, but I think many people would have trouble understanding it. It is more complex and we have an electorate that can be bamboozled by robocalls telling them to vote on Wednesday.
Ranked voting - Wikipedia

I do think we need to do everything we can to root out corruption in the system. It's impossible to eliminate, but we need to do better. I was thinking the other day that in the past virtually every politicians resigned when they were indicted for a crime, or at minimum when convicted, but we have people in office now who could end up convicted of crimes in office who would just refuse to resign if convicted. Trump is top of that list, but I was also thinking Brett Kavenough might be indicted for perjury and would probably not resign his seat if convicted. We could end up with a Supreme Court justice in prison with a Senate too partisan to remove him by impeachment.

I think we need a law that applies to any federal employee: civil servant, appointee, or elected that they are suspended upon indictment and removed from office immediately upon conviction of a felony. For purposes of the 25th amendment, this qualifies as "unable" to serve. Being convicted of a felony related to corruption should also ban someone from ever holding office for life.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Here's a self-described conservative's take on the Republican Party today.

Is the Republican Party Still Conservative? - The Atlantic

I'm not competent to comment on his definition of conservatism but it seems sane and decent.
Good article. I've *always* been a conservative by his definition. I have, of course, never ever supported the Republican Party, because it stopped being conservative by that definition before I was *born*.

He's absolutely right that the modern Republicans are the heirs of the slavers who seceded in order to promote slavery.

Worth noting that right-wingers are now writing essays explaining that Kavanuagh is simply unsuited to be a judge, due to his record of lying under oath, his appearance of a conflict of interest and his inability to maintain a judicial demeanor:
I Know Brett Kavanaugh, but I Wouldn’t Confirm Him - The Atlantic

Kavanaugh needs to be impeached immediately. If the Republican fascist party confirms him, it will only confirm that they hate the rule of law and are traitors to the Constitution.

Good article. I've *always* been a conservative by his definition. I have, of course, never ever supported the Republican Party, because it stopped being conservative by that definition before I was *born*.

He's absolutely right that the modern Republicans are the heirs of the slavers who seceded in order to promote slavery.

Worth noting that right-wingers are now writing essays explaining that Kavanuagh is simply unsuited to be a judge, due to his record of lying under oath, his appearance of a conflict of interest and his inability to maintain a judicial demeanor:
I Know Brett Kavanaugh, but I Wouldn’t Confirm Him - The Atlantic

Kavanaugh needs to be impeached immediately. If the Republican fascist party confirms him, it will only confirm that they hate the rule of law and are traitors to the Constitution.

The book American Nations covers the cultural battle this country has been locked in since before it was a country. In the early days after the Constitution was confirmed, the battle was between the New England Yankee's centered around John Adams and the Tidewater culture from Virginia centered on Thomas Jefferson. The Jeffersonians evolved into the Democrats via a few name changes. The Adams followers first became the Whigs, then the Republicans on the eve of the Civil War.

Over time the focus of the Democratic side shifted to the Deep South as Tidewater became diluted and failed to expand with the other cultures.

The Adams faction favored a strong central government, but also were champions of individual liberties too. They were anti-slavery from the beginning of the country (though there was some slavery in New England during the colonial period). The Democrats were more for a weaker central government with stronger states' rights, but their attitude about civil rights were more a caste system than a meritocracy that the Whigs/Republicans favored.

The entire political history of the US has been about which faction was ascendant and who their allies were. This is a good site for the history of presidential elections (the owner of the site uses blue for Republicans and red for Democrats, but the data is good):
Dave Leip's Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections

Before the Civil War was less clear, but in the 19th century after the South was a Democratic stronghold and the North Republican with the West largely deciding the election. At the beginning of each of the Party System periods the winning faction put together a new coalition that cemented their power for a generation or more.

FDR pushed the Yankee centered Republicans back to New England, though the interior West started voting Republican before he was done. Eisenhower took every faction but the Deep South, but his coalition was only centered on him and did not become a larger movement.

The Civil Rights movement broke Roosevelt's coalition. It was popular in the North and the West, but deeply hated in the South. The political system cast about with no real rudder through the 70s until Reagan came along and stitched together a new coalition consisting of the Deep South, Appalachia, and the interior West. The old home base for Republicans became the new home base for Democrats: the Northeast.

The personal liberty mantle is now held by the Democrats. The Republicans talk about championing states' rights, but do the opposite when in power.

The coalition stitched together by Reagan is falling apart. They have become so ideologically extreme they can't govern anymore. the problem is the Democrats don't have a seed crystal like Roosevelt or Reagan to form a new coalition and the hatred the Republicans created for anything not Republican starting in the 90s has entrenched people so much, it's going to be difficult to shift to a new coalition.

My father was an Eisenhower Republican for most of my life. Eisenhower was out of office when I was born and died when I was a toddler, but that was the brand of Republicanism my family embraced. The Republicans of that era started the Equal Rights Amendment and were not solely in favor of tax cuts, but instead fiscal responsibility.

When Bush I's tax increases backfired, the Republican strategists decided that all they would talk about is tax cuts from then on. They became maniacal tax cutters with an insane belief that cutting taxes would cure all economic woes in the same vein of thinking that if two ibuprofen help with your headache, the whole bottle must be much better.

Taxes may have been a bit too high in the 70s, and cutting them a bit might have helped stimulate the economy, but there is a sweet spot in there and cutting taxes beyond that just wrecks the budget for no good reason. (Taxes may not have been too high either, but an argument could have been made in 1979 to experiment with cutting taxes a bit and see what happens.)

The religious social conservatives have always been a part of the US mix more than a lot of European countries. Europe expelled a lot of their more extreme religious groups and they came to the US. Some have remained largely apolitical like the Mennonites, but other religious movements, most home grown in the US, did find their political voice in the latest party period. One of Reagan's geniuses was wooing evangelicals into the new coalition. Evangelical Christians did not see themselves as a political faction before that. Before 1980 they politically saw themselves as part of some other group like working class voters or Deep South voters. They were forming a clear identity with the Koch family's Moral Majority movement, but Reagan capitalized it into a full blown faction in the Republican Party.

The Republican Party today is mostly factions created by the Koch family: The John Birchers are mostly lost in the mix now, but the Moral Majority movement coalesced the Evangelical Christians, the Militia Movement coalesced the rabid 2nd Amendment followers, and the Tea Party opened the door for Trumpers. There is a lot of overlap among these people, but all of these astroturf movements created by the Kochs have contributed to the strong attitudes within the Republican Party today.

The Republican Party has become a cult, while the Democratic Party is still casting about for an identity, but actually does want to govern responsibly.

Well, you either pick sides and defend your tribe or you realize both sides are dysfunctional and change your hiring practices. I'm sure reasonable people can find good things to say about either party but for me they are both broken, non-functional and not capable of performing the basic functions for which governments should exist. I've realized both sides are not for me and choosing the lessor of two evils seems only to invite ever more evil options. (not that they are actually "evil" but you get the point)

• Disagree
Reactions: MikeQ and neroden
Well, you either pick sides and defend your tribe or you realize both sides are dysfunctional and change your hiring practices. I'm sure reasonable people can find good things to say about either party but for me they are both broken, non-functional and not capable of performing the basic functions for which governments should exist. I've realized both sides are not for me and choosing the lessor of two evils seems only to invite ever more evil options. (not that they are actually "evil" but you get the point)
Learn why we have two parties.

Duverger's law - Wikipedia

At the moment the only way to have a third party is for it to be regionally-based -- in an area where one of the two "major" parties basically doesn't exist.

You want to fix the problem at its root, you have to fix the underlying political system -- advocate for proportional representation. (Actually, approval voting would probably help too.)

Until we do that, then you have to accept that we will have two parties. If you don't like either of the existing parties, the only way to change this is to support the less-bad party until the worse party is *completely marginalized*, rendered so unimportant that we have only *one* party. At that point, there is room for a second party to arise. (This happened early in US history! The Federalists were marginalized. After a period of one-party rule, the Democratic-Republicans split into Whigs and Democrats.)

Caution, however, that in the attempt to eliminate one of the parties and create a period of one-party rule -- so that a second party can arise -- you must NOT support a party which will try to abolish democracy. Because then you'll never get a chance for the new second party to arise. The current Republicans are absolutely trying to abolish democracy, from stealing the election in 2000, to their repeated lawsuits to try to force gerrymandering on Arizona and Pennsylvania even after the voters (in Arizona) and the courts (in Pennsylvania) told them to stop gerrymandering, to their attempts to prevent citizens from voting with bogus paperwork requirements.

The conclusion, for practical people like me, is:
1 -- if the best-polling two candidates in the election are a Democrat and a Republican, vote for the Democrat, always.
2 -- if the best-polling two candidates are a corporate Democrat and a Democrat who supports electoral reform (ending gerrymandering, proportional representation, etc.), support the electoral reform candidate.
3 -- keep trying to raise awareness of Duverger's Law.

Reactions: JRP3 and bhtooefr
Functionally speaking, there is a difference in competence between the two parties but little difference in the trajectory each is following from a moral/financial standpoint. Money is pouring into both parties and each is corrupted by it in their own way. We need to change our hiring practices so as to attract good people to each party and retain choice. Adding a third party to the existing environment simply gives us an opportunity to attract the same quality of people to yet another party.

I'm not debating the fundamentals of what either party is supposed to represent. I'm simply stating that our current collective values, as reflected in our politics, does not permit those core values from surfacing on either side.

JRP,
There are differences but I still submit that both are badly broken and need replacing so that both sides can actually execute in alignment with their "platform".

As has been said many times, our Democracy is but a piece of paper. It's how we interpret that piece of paper that defines who we are. We need to get back to agreeing as a nation on a set of core values so that we are all on the same side. Being on different sides only serves the Roves and Carvilles of this world and their masters.

I don't think we've agreed on a set of core values since the Revolutionary War, there have always been parties struggling to gain control.

Even then I remember a beer session with some Ph.D. wannabees in history who said the colonists were split nearly evenly among neutrality, pro revolution, and anti-revolution. No idea how those estimates were arrived at. Neroden was probably there.

Status
Not open for further replies.