Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martian Wheels MW03 - New discussion thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would never go further out than the limit of a credit card dispute. For me that is 60 days.
@ay221 That is good advice. I have occasionally let prepurchased orders drag out further in this era of shortages and supply chain delays, but it is risky and your advice there is good!

Before this era I would never pay for something before it's ready to ship. (Unless it's custom made of course, then sure at least charge me a big deposit before you start building it.) These days though I've had to be flexible in order to get in line for popular products with shortages, to make sure I'd at least get them from the next batch. So far it's worked out for me but the risk is there.

I'm still waiting for my wheels from Martian Wheels after 8 months. Is anyone else in the same boat?

10/19/2021 - Placed order and paid for the wheels
Tesla Model 3 19" MW03 Forged Wheels × 4
19 x 8.5" +35 / Satin Gunmetal / New orders for this size and color expected to ship in 6-8 weeks

12/15/21 - Sent email to Martian Wheels asking when I can expect to receive my wheels

12/20/21 - Received response saying it will be another month or so before my wheels ship

1/31/22 - Sent email asking if there is any update for when my wheels will ship

2/4/22 - Received response saying they are now expecting my wheels to be ready to ship in 2-3 weeks

3/5/22 - Sent email asking when my wheels will ship out

3/14/22 - Received email from Martian Wheels saying it could take until the week of April 18, and asked if I want to "cancel" or "proceed"

3/14/22 - I replied "proceed"

4/30/22 - Sent email asking if any update is available on the delivery date for my wheels

5/13/22 - Martian Wheels sent an automated email saying my order is on the way and provided UPS tracking numbers. The status for the tracking numbers said "Shipment ready for UPS", so I looked forward to seeing updates soon

5/31/22 - The status for those UPS tracking numbers has not changed from "Shipment ready for UPS", but the Martian Wheels website was updated to say my order was fulfilled on 5/13/22. I emailed Martian Wheels to let them know that I did not receive anything yet, and asked for help confirming if there was a problem shipping out my wheels or if they will be shipped soon.

6/1/22 - Received response from Martian Wheels saying they are just waiting for the truck that has everyone's wheels on it to reach the location they ship from. The tracking info will show movement shortly after, and it should be any day now.

6/9/22 - The wheels still haven't reached UPS. I sent another email to Martian Wheels asking for an update.

6/15/22 - Received response saying they are still waiting to receive the batch that my wheels are in.
They will let me know when the wheels are on their way.

😞

Just an update on my wheels below.

7/1/22 - My wheels finally shipped out!

7/5/22 - The wheels arrived today🕺😃 According to my bathroom scale, the bare wheels with all packaging material removed weigh 22.0lb, 22.2lb, 22.4lb, and 22.4lb.

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I ordered MW05s on 04/30 and received them on 07/08
1657406574836.jpeg

martian mw05 2.JPG

Just an update on my wheels below.

7/1/22 - My wheels finally shipped out!

7/5/22 - The wheels arrived today🕺😃 According to my bathroom scale, the bare wheels with all packaging material removed weigh 22.0lb, 22.2lb, 22.4lb, and 22.4lb.

So there's a problem with my MW03 wheels.

I wanted to first wear out my OEM tires at a track event a couple of weeks ago, so I finally got around to installing the new MW03 wheels with fresh tires onto my 2021 M3P this past weekend. The wheels aren't able to sit flush against the brake rotor hat, and it turns out they are missing the extra bore step to accommodate the Performance brake stepped hub lip.

I reached out to Martian Wheels about this on Saturday and am still waiting for a response. Definitely frustrating 😩

A picture of the back of one wheel is attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 160

I wanted to first wear out my OEM tires at a track event a couple of weeks ago, so I finally got around to installing the new MW03 wheels with fresh tires onto my 2021 M3P this past weekend. The wheels aren't able to sit flush against the brake rotor hat, and it turns out they are missing the extra bore step to accommodate the Performance brake stepped hub lip.

I reached out to Martian Wheels about this on Saturday and am still waiting for a response. Definitely frustrating 😩

Yeah that definitely sucks. Seeing that they only make tesla wheels they would proactively cut the step in every wheelset. 🤦🏻‍♂️ You aren’t the only one I’ve seen with this issue.

@comp3mo Wow that's frustrating. I didn't get Martian wheels but they did make my shortlist specifically because of direct M3P fitment. That is a real bad lack of basic quality control. They need to be more on top of what their manufacturer is doing and not let stuff like this get into customer hands!

If you end up getting a refund instead of quick replacement, Titan7 is another brand of fully forged wheels with direct M3P fitments at a very similar price point. I went with Titan7 and they came properly machined for the stepped lip, mounted right up over my M3P brakes. I got T-S5 18x8.5", they also have M3P fitments in 19x9", 19x9.5", 20x8.5" in the T-S5 and a few other models. I'm not sure if they have any 19x8.5" M3P fitments but 19x9" should be a good substitute, run either 255/40R19 or 245/40R19 tires on them.

That sucks!

Who QC that wheel? All four are like that?

I was reluctant to buy from Martian after reading all the posts about slow delivery times and inaccurate weights. They have a black Friday sale going on and showed the 19" MW03's in stock so I decided to give them a chance. I ordered on Saturday and two wheels have already been delivered and the other two will be here Friday. Martian shipped them together so the delay is from UPS. The wheels look great and are 1lb below the advertised weight.
PXL_20221123_191625668~2.jpg

wow, terrible they are missing the bore hub. Did they correct this for you? my mw05 worked perfectly. However if I ever decide to get winter rims for my car I think I will go with Titan so I don't run into the same issue as you. Plus I like having a different brand for winter rims.

I was reluctant to buy from Martian after reading all the posts about slow delivery times and inaccurate weights. They have a black Friday sale going on and showed the 19" MW03's in stock so I decided to give them a chance. I ordered on Saturday and two wheels have already been delivered and the other two will be here Friday. Martian shipped them together so the delay is from UPS. The wheels look great and are 1lb below the advertised weight.View attachment 877773
What size wheel are those?

I was reluctant to buy from Martian after reading all the posts about slow delivery times and inaccurate weights. They have a black Friday sale going on and showed the 19" MW03's in stock so I decided to give them a chance. I ordered on Saturday and two wheels have already been delivered and the other two will be here Friday. Martian shipped them together so the delay is from UPS. The wheels look great and are 1lb below the advertised weight.View attachment 877773
Did Martian update the weights on their website? All of the values are different than when I checked them earlier this year for the same wheels.

Their 18x8.0 MW05 “FORGED” wheel is listed as weighing 22.5 lbs now. That said something like 17-18 lbs before for an 18x8 Model 3 wheel.

22.5 lbs for 18x8.0 fully forged is not good at all. My 18x8.5 flow formed wheels weigh 22 lbs. The stock Model 3 18” wheels weigh a little less than that too.

0C4EDCC7-9725-4F91-AD5A-3D71512B0F47.png

Yeah I wouldn't bother with an 18x0 if it was going to be that heavy. My other 2 19x8.5 got delivered today. I ended up with 2 @ 22.0lbs, 1 @ 23.0 and one at 22.2. the heavier one had a different stamp on it so it does appear to fluctuate between production runs. Not a scratch on them though which was most important.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Yeah I wouldn't bother with an 18x0 if it was going to be that heavy. My other 2 19x8.5 got delivered today. I ended up with 2 @ 22.0lbs, 1 @ 23.0 and one at 22.2. the heavier one had a different stamp on it so it does appear to fluctuate between production runs. Not a scratch on them though which was most important.
They definitely have changed the weights of the wheels or at least their specifications of the wheels. The weights listed for their wheels just aren’t competitive at the prices they are asking now.

Did Martian update the weights on their website? All of the values are different than when I checked them earlier this year for the same wheels.

Their 18x8.0 MW05 “FORGED” wheel is listed as weighing 22.5 lbs now. That said something like 17-18 lbs before for an 18x8 Model 3 wheel.

22.5 lbs for 18x8.0 fully forged is not good at all. My 18x8.5 flow formed wheels weigh 22 lbs. The stock Model 3 18” wheels weigh a little less than that too.

View attachment 878072
They need to be accountable. Telling false truths for sales is 👎 to the consumer.

For some reason I think the 17-18lb wheels were when they offered it in the 7.5 width. Just got these in today, scale shows 22.5lbs. 18x8.5. Ordered on Friday arrived by the following Friday.

Attachments

• 42F372C4-C12C-4C89-99E3-EA13222102A6.jpeg
    42F372C4-C12C-4C89-99E3-EA13222102A6.jpeg
    600.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 6ADDA20D-D0B5-45DE-835A-EE21047748CF.jpeg
    6ADDA20D-D0B5-45DE-835A-EE21047748CF.jpeg
    540.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 8F67F116-B861-4362-AD67-E3A88AE59390.jpeg
    8F67F116-B861-4362-AD67-E3A88AE59390.jpeg
    566.1 KB · Views: 92
Reactions: SantaCruzOMB
For some reason I think the 17-18lb wheels were when they offered it in the 7.5 width. Just got these in today, scale shows 22.5lbs. 18x8.5. Ordered on Friday arrived by the following Friday.
So 4 more lbs for 1 inch of width? Interesting.

From the pics it looks like they didn’t put the step hub lip in for P rotors. Make sure the wheel sits flush against the rotor hat or that’s no bueno and a safety issue.

Oh Martian Martian Martian….

Status
Not open for further replies.