Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martian Wheels MW03

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got them installed. 20x8.5 Gunmetal wrapped with Michelin AS3+ 235/35/20.
F4E5FA17-4C0F-43E0-AFA3-4D86C0731D3A.jpeg
9E8BA28A-7B1A-4C76-A0A8-EF78AB56FD34.jpeg
21E027DE-2727-4CFF-B2AE-67EC5882CF8A.jpeg
CF210522-5841-4D0F-A8ED-AFDED9BFF802.jpeg

Finally got my tires & TPMS mounted. I'm very happy with the apparently quality of these wheels. The finish (gunmetal) is very impressive as well.

Wheels: 18x8.5 ET35 in "Gunmetal"
Tires: Pirelli P-Zero All Season Plus 235/45R18 XL
weight: 43 lbs (through analysis, have not actually weighed however)

Other initial thoughts:
*I'm undecided at the moment on center caps and lug nut covers. I'm going to run one side with Tesla center caps and lug nut covers from their $50 Aero wheel kit and see how I like the look. I actually LOVE the open wheel hub nut, but am worried about a ton of crap getting in there.
*The weight reduction is apparent in the driving experience
*My car is NOTICEABLY quicker in acceleration after ditching the 52+ pound 20" Sport wheel/tire combos.
*The steering response is also sharper, although the Pirelli's do not respond as well as the Michelin PS4S's to aggressive maneuvers (to be expected, of course).
*Perhaps I could have gone with ET28 they offered for a while... that 7mm of "poke" could have looked nice.
*A solid reduction in wHr/mi (mostly due to the tires). I've only driven about 15 minutes, so nothing is remotely scientific yet.

Overall: I would DEFINITELY purchase these wheels again. If Martian Wheels had more proactive (and realistic) communication, I'd give this product an A+ rather than my current "A"

IMG_3336.jpg
IMG_3337.jpg
IMG_3338.jpg

Finally got my tires & TPMS mounted. I'm very happy with the apparently quality of these wheels. The finish (gunmetal) is very impressive as well.

Wheels: 18x8.5 ET35 in "Gunmetal"
Tires: Pirelli P-Zero All Season Plus 235/45R18 XL
weight: 43 lbs (through analysis, have not actually weighed however)

Other initial thoughts:
*I'm undecided at the moment on center caps and lug nut covers. I'm going to run one side with Tesla center caps and lug nut covers from their $50 Aero wheel kit and see how I like the look. I actually LOVE the open wheel hub nut, but am worried about a ton of crap getting in there.
*The weight reduction is apparent in the driving experience
*My car is NOTICEABLY quicker in acceleration after ditching the 52+ pound 20" Sport wheel/tire combos.
*The steering response is also sharper, although the Pirelli's do not respond as well as the Michelin PS4S's to aggressive maneuvers (to be expected, of course).
*Perhaps I could have gone with ET28 they offered for a while... that 7mm of "poke" could have looked nice.
*A solid reduction in wHr/mi (mostly due to the tires). I've only driven about 15 minutes, so nothing is remotely scientific yet.

Overall: I would DEFINITELY purchase these wheels again. If Martian Wheels had more proactive (and realistic) communication, I'd give this product an A+ rather than my current "A"

View attachment 563716 View attachment 563717 View attachment 563718
Did you use the stock lug nuts?

I received my MW03 18×8.5 yesterday. Everything looks solid, still waiting for my tires to arrive (Monday evening). I decided to go with 245/35ZR-18 Continental ExtremeContact Sport XL tires.

Only issue is they weigh 19.1lb per wheel. Advertised weight is 17.9lb. I've contacted Drew about this. Kind of disappointed in the 1.2lb weight, but overall I am happy. I'll post pictures once I get my tires installed tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20200711_231959.jpg
    IMG_20200711_231959.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 168
I received my MW03 18×8.5 yesterday. Everything looks solid, still waiting for my tires to arrive (Monday evening). I decided to go with 245/35ZR-18 Continental ExtremeContact Sport XL tires.

Only issue is they weigh 19.1lb per wheel. Advertised weight is 17.9lb. I've contacted Drew about this. Kind of disappointed in the 1.2lb weight, but overall I am happy. I'll post pictures once I get my tires installed tomorrow.

Looks like your TPMS were already installed. Could maybe account for 0.1-lb, but not the remaining 1.1-lb.

Please let us know what he says. It wouldn't change my decision, but I didn't buy these for weight-reduction/racing.

My just finally arrived 18x8.5" MW03s are also about a pound heavier than advertised (with TPMS and no center cap or weights):
Digital Fish scale: 19 Lb, 5 oz. (19.3125 Lbs)
Digital Luggage scale: 18.6 Lbs.
Digital Bathroom scale: 18.9 Lbs.
Average: 18.93 Lbs,
Exceeds advertised weight (17.9 Lbs) by: 1.03 Lbs.

Shipping weight was 22 Lbs.

If the TPMS sensor weighs 1.5 Oz (see below), that's just ,09375 Lbs, accounting for 0.1 Lbs, as suggested by Danny Brown

I am going to send this and other related posts, plus the one about Model Y lug nuts didn't fit, to Drew.

From: Tesla TPMS Model S, Roadster 1034602-00-A, 1034602-00-B
"..TPMS sensors have considerable physical weight that must be accounted for in the balancing process. The average valve stem sensor weighs between 30 and 40 grams, or 1 to 1.5 ounces, a considerable amount from the balance perspective, especially since most tire and wheels are fairly close to "balanced" in the first place."

They look great. How long did you have to wait to get those wheels?

My just finally arrived 18x8.5" MW03s are also about a pound heavier than advertised (with TPMS and no center cap or weights):
Digital Fish scale: 19 Lb, 5 oz. (19.3125 Lbs)
Digital Luggage scale: 18.6 Lbs.
Digital Bathroom scale: 18.9 Lbs.
Average: 18.93 Lbs,
Exceeds advertised weight (17.9 Lbs) by: 1.03 Lbs.

Shipping weight was 22 Lbs.

If the TPMS sensor weighs 1.5 Oz (see below), that's just ,09375 Lbs, accounting for 0.1 Lbs, as suggested by Danny Brown

I am going to send this and other related posts, plus the one about Model Y lug nuts didn't fit, to Drew.

From: Tesla TPMS Model S, Roadster 1034602-00-A, 1034602-00-B
"..TPMS sensors have considerable physical weight that must be accounted for in the balancing process. The average valve stem sensor weighs between 30 and 40 grams, or 1 to 1.5 ounces, a considerable amount from the balance perspective, especially since most tire and wheels are fairly close to "balanced" in the first place."

I just spoke with Martian wheels. Drew confirmed that the weights are running a little high, like 0.5 Lbs, at the high end of an acceptable range. The 17.9 was calculated based on the wheel design, not measured. It did not include the TPMS, Center cover, or the multiple powder coatings. They will adjust the advertised weights accordingly.

Has anyone actually weighed one of the TPMS sensors?

Status
Not open for further replies.