Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martian Wheels MW03

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ready for the first race day tomorrow
20200717_183046.jpg

Reactions: Tanis
Silver 18x8.5 finally mounted. Installer had no issues. Put on CrossClimates to support the work driving. Now I just need to find some Tesla Center caps that fit the wheels.

Took it for an initial spin. Still corners on rails, little more tread growl at some speeds that the PS 4's, but I need to get the tires broken in.View attachment 565686 View attachment 565687

Thanks for the pics! Now to see what the grey looks like on a model 3 red!

If it has to be all season, consider getting Continental EXTREME CONTACT DWS 06, the are really good in my experience.

If you can get by with summer tires, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are second to none.

Summer tires generally have best in class dry and wet traction (Summer tires does better at rain then all season tires)
The issue summer tires have with freezing (or well, below 44f) / snow is not the threads or shape, its the actual material they are made from, it simply doesn't do well at those temperatures.

Most guidelines I read say that if at any point your tires are below 44f even in storage ... you shouldn't use them until they warm up for 24hrs, so if your garage dipped into high 30s over night, and outside is low 60s, you should still not use summer tires until they had 24 hours above 44f

Thanks for your advice. I am also going to keep the stock 235/35ZR20 92Y Pilot Sport 4S summer tires that came with the car, so I am interested in the 44°F guidelines. Could you please provide a reference link?

During my AutoCross days, we kept the Hoosier slicks in the basement during winter to protect them.

Thanks for your advice. I am also going to keep the stock 235/35ZR20 92Y Pilot Sport 4S summer tires that came with the car, so I am interested in the 44°F guidelines. Could you please provide a reference link?

During my AutoCross days, we kept the Hoosier slicks in the basement during winter to protect them.

I think if you boil it down, under certain temperature the material a summer tire is made from gets so stiff it loses all flexibility and can easily break instead of bending. If unused they would probably be fine, I'm assuming your basement stay at reasonable temperatures (45f and above?)
As for links, if you google "summer tires cold temperature" you could find many, ex: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Reactions: TonyJag
I think if you boil it down, under certain temperature the material a summer tire is made from gets so stiff it loses all flexibility and can easily break instead of bending. If unused they would probably be fine, I'm assuming your basement stay at reasonable temperatures (45f and above?)
As for links, if you google "summer tires cold temperature" you could find many, ex: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Thanks for the thorough response. There is also a TMC thread:
Where to store summer tires?
You would think that this danger of terminal cracking would be mentioned in the Tesla M3 manual or on the tires themselves.

My basement stays above 60 F year around, but it's a PITA to move tires down/up there, more so at age 76 with arthritis. My wife is after me to get rid of the old racecar tires still down there as she takes over more of the basement for quilting.

My stock 20" performance tires tires are labeled PILOT SPORT 4S TO. Obviously 4S does not mean Four Season. What does TO mean?

Last edited:
Thanks for the thorough response. There is also a TMC thread:
Where to store summer tires?
You would think that this danger of terminal cracking would be mentioned in the Tesla M3 manual or on the tires themselves.

My basement stays above 60 F year around, but it's a PITA to move tires down/up there, more so at age 76 with arthritis. My wife is after me to get rid of the old racecar tires still down there as she takes over more of the basement for quilting.

My stock 20" performance tires tires are labeled PILOT SPORT 4S TO. Obviously 4S does not mean Four Season. What does TO mean?

In Pilot Sport 4S TO the 4 means 4th gen as its Michling's 4th gen tire, the S sets it apart from the cheaper "Pilot Sport 4", and I have no idea what's the TO about.

Edit:
1. Looks like you are doing the right thing / most optimal thing, 60f is great for the tire's health. Just make sure not to remount them before the nights go above 45f too
2. Maybe get a wheel dolly for the non stairs portion of the way? as for the stairs, slow and careful ... or grab a neighbor/relative to help, its like twice a year not every tuesday
3. Here is a link reference to what I wrote above about the 4 and the S - link
4. I checked the other thread, that Tire wall mount seems nice, if you get it, maybe install it at waist height so its not so hard to use?

Last edited:
In Pilot Sport 4S TO the 4 means 4th gen as its Michling's 4th gen tire, the S sets it apart from the cheaper "Pilot Sport 4", and I have no idea what's the TO about.

Edit:
1. Looks like you are doing the right thing / most optimal thing, 60f is great for the tire's health. Just make sure not to remount them before the nights go above 45f too
2. Maybe get a wheel dolly for the non stairs portion of the way? as for the stairs, slow and careful ... or grab a neighbor/relative to help, its like twice a year not every tuesday
3. Here is a link reference to what I wrote above about the 4 and the S - link
4. I checked the other thread, that Tire wall mount seems nice, if you get it, maybe install it at waist height so its not so hard to use?

Thanks. We have a walk out baserment so I can roll the tires one by one outside to avoid steps. Then I have some dollies made from 2'x2'x3/4" plywood with casters at the corners, which accommodate a stack of 4 mounted or unmounted tires in individual garbage bags.

I had planned to sell the 20" wheels and summer tires as many have done, but my son, who is likely eventually going to inherit the Tesla, thinks I should keep them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Atraf
“T0” is a Tesla specific version of the tire. It should have acoustic foam, and may have a wider contact patch than the 235-size would normally suggest (it was 8.8” on my 235/35/20’s; my new 235 pirellis are only 7.4” at the contact patch)

Yes, T0 is a Tesla specific spec. A standard 235 tire has a much smaller contact area. Expensive tire by the way.

Thank you, I did not know that, but it does make sense given that the foam is made by tire maker and not Tesla. I wish more tires came with that kind of variant (foam, contact area).

Thanks. We have a walk out basement so I can roll the tires one by one outside to avoid steps. Then I have some dollies made from 2'x2'x3/4" plywood with casters at the corners, which accommodate a stack of 4 mounted or unmounted tires in individual garbage bags.

I had planned to sell the 20" wheels and summer tires as many have done, but my son, who is likely eventually going to inherit the Tesla, thinks I should keep them.

Sounds like a good arrangement, so your dollies are like a homemade version of this product? Would your wife give you easier time if you used this two products while wheels are stored?
Also, the 20" are nice but very susceptible to pothole damage, are you / is your son planning to race the car at a track?

Thank you, I did not know that, but it does make sense given that the foam is made by tire maker and not Tesla. I wish more tires came with that kind of variant (foam, contact area).

Sounds like a good arrangement, so your dollies are like a homemade version of this product? Would your wife give you easier time if you used this two products while wheels are stored?
Also, the 20" are nice but very susceptible to pothole damage, are you / is your son planning to race the car at a track?

Yes, I made two wooden tire dollies years ago, with plywood sans casters to put on top. But they don't lock together.
My wife wouldn't care about fancy tire bags, unless they were quilted ;-)
I agree that the stock 20" are vulnerable and we have plenty of potholes here, especially in late winter, when they like to hide under innocent puddles. That's one of the main reasons I bought the 18x8.5 MW03 wheels.
I have had my fun in SCCA AutoCross and am unlikely to compete in this car. But my son might. He has done both autocross and track days.

SEARCH CONTINUES. Back in post#288 of this thread, I instigated recommendations on all-season 18" tires for my new MW03 18x8.5 wheels. Thanks to everyone who contributed. I have not found any alternatives to the stock MXM4 Primacy that have acoustic foam, but most reviews say that only helps by a dB or two on certain types of noise and many can't even notice any difference.

I stopped at a Town Fair Tire store, where they couldn't even show me anything suitable. They also won't mount tires on wheels not bought there and told me the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and 4 have both been discontinued in 235/45 R 18, yet their website still shows them. I will likely go with Tire-Rack shipped to a local installer who I trust, unless anyone suggests a better alternative. And advice will be appreciated.

Reactions: Atraf
Status
Not open for further replies.