Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martian Wheels MW03

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After many passes down the strip I can definitely recommend the 225/45 ZR18 PS4S, they get the job done, next season I'll try to test the pirelli at about 1-2lb lighter. No power cuts and consistency all around wrapped on the Martians. Got the first win after many late round finishes. Chill mode works kinda like a delay box ( and for science purposes you run about 15.5 in the 1/4 with it :D)

Attachments

• 20200803_113114.jpg
    20200803_113114.jpg
    772.2 KB · Views: 194
After many passes down the strip I can definitely recommend the 225/45 ZR18 PS4S, they get the job done, next season I'll try to test the pirelli at about 1-2lb lighter. No power cuts and consistency all around wrapped on the Martians. Got the first win after many late round finishes. Chill mode works kinda like a delay box ( and for science purposes you run about 15.5 in the 1/4 with it :D)

Well done! What was ur 0-60 and quarter mile et in track mode? Did one charge last for the whole event?
1/4 mile was 11.48-11.50 (always +/- .02)

Power drop off is noticeable in terms of 1/4 mile after about 85%. Thankfully this track has a tesla charger on site. Running it in track mode rear 100 and -10 traction it goes about 11.60.

Each 1/4 mile run wastes about 2%.

1/8 mile runs use up about 1% as you get a good chunk back in regen whereas 1/4 you gotta brake.

• Informative
Reactions: neezer and TonyJag
The search for a tire to mount on my 18"x8.5" MW03 wheels continues. As mentioned in Post #324,
the on-line tire comparisons are good, but don't include rolling resistance. The chat data from Michelin was not helpful because all 4 Michelin candidates have a "Fuel Efficiency" of 9. Pirelli, who do make TO tires for Model S and X, replied to an email query as follows:
"Thanks for reaching out and considering Pirelli. While the P7 All Season Plus II tire is available in a V speed rating in the 235/45VR18 size, this tire is not produced with noise cancelling technology and the internal construction is not tweaked according to Tesla specifications for your Model 3. In addition, we are sorry to say that we do not have rolling resistance and noise data available for comparison as well.
Kindest regards,
Pirelli Consumer Affairs"

This lack of data makes it a challenge for us to include rolling resistance in our tire comparisons. But there are bits and pieces of quantitative reports
scattered throughout the forums and some tire stories, papers, and comparisons. in order to collect these bits in one place that can be useful to all, I made an Excel spreadsheet that includes all of the rolling resistance reports I could find on the candidate tires. See attached picture.

The first 2 tires (shaded blue) are Michelin Tesla TO OEM for model 3. The others are tires brought up in this thread as candidates to replace the MXM4. The middle columns are Key characteristics, including a couple of overall ratings from Tire Rack And Consumer Reports. More details, like wet vs. dry braking, etc, are available on-line so I didn't include them here because it was getting too busy. The right 4 columns are the quantitative rolling resistance reports. There are quite a few for the Michelin Cross Climate+ because that is a popular candidate to replace the MXM4. The average over these results should become more useful as more samples are added.

NEED YOUR HELP! Please look it over and let me know of any errors or omissions. IF YOU HAVE MEASURED THE DIFFERENCE IN WH/Mi (%) between any pair(s) of candidate, or have a source of such data, please post your results so they can be included. Even zero (equal rolling resistance) is a useful result! I will update the spreadsheet every few days for a while. Questions and comments are welcome.

RR Compar.jpg

This lack of data makes it a challenge for us to include rolling resistance in our tire comparisons. But there are bits and pieces of quantitative reports scattered throughout the forums and some tire stories, papers, and comparisons. in order to collect these bits in one place that can be useful to all, I made an Excel spreadsheet that includes all of the rolling resistance reports I could find on the candidate tires. See attached picture.
You can find rolling resistance coefficient on EU tire labels because it is regulated. Just visit any popular tire vendor website (UK-based for English) and you'll find the results, graded A->E

Methodology here in Annex V
L_2020177EN.01000101.xml

• Informative
Reactions: TonyJag
The search for a tire to mount on my 18"x8.5" MW03 wheels continues. As mentioned in Post #324,
the on-line tire comparisons are good, but don't include rolling resistance. The chat data from Michelin was not helpful because all 4 Michelin candidates have a "Fuel Efficiency" of 9. Pirelli, who do make TO tires for Model S and X, replied to an email query as follows:
"Thanks for reaching out and considering Pirelli. While the P7 All Season Plus II tire is available in a V speed rating in the 235/45VR18 size, this tire is not produced with noise cancelling technology and the internal construction is not tweaked according to Tesla specifications for your Model 3. In addition, we are sorry to say that we do not have rolling resistance and noise data available for comparison as well.
Kindest regards,
Pirelli Consumer Affairs"

This lack of data makes it a challenge for us to include rolling resistance in our tire comparisons. But there are bits and pieces of quantitative reports
scattered throughout the forums and some tire stories, papers, and comparisons. in order to collect these bits in one place that can be useful to all, I made an Excel spreadsheet that includes all of the rolling resistance reports I could find on the candidate tires. See attached picture.

The first 2 tires (shaded blue) are Michelin Tesla TO OEM for model 3. The others are tires brought up in this thread as candidates to replace the MXM4. The middle columns are Key characteristics, including a couple of overall ratings from Tire Rack And Consumer Reports. More details, like wet vs. dry braking, etc, are available on-line so I didn't include them here because it was getting too busy. The right 4 columns are the quantitative rolling resistance reports. There are quite a few for the Michelin Cross Climate+ because that is a popular candidate to replace the MXM4. The average over these results should become more useful as more samples are added.

NEED YOUR HELP! Please look it over and let me know of any errors or omissions. IF YOU HAVE MEASURED THE DIFFERENCE IN WH/Mi (%) between any pair(s) of candidate, or have a source of such data, please post your results so they can be included. Even zero (equal rolling resistance) is a useful result! I will update the spreadsheet every few days for a while. Questions and comments are welcome.

It is highly unfortunate this is not standard labeling on a tire, like many other metrics. Hopefully as EV's become more mainstream this will be the case. I own 7 sets of Model 3 wheels and tires, have driven on many more, so I can at least given you an idea.

The OEM 18" Michelin MXM4 is by far the lowest rolling resistance tire I have driven on. You do sacrifice grip. The OEM 19" Continental is not much worse than the Michelin, but it is not as good. The Michelin Cross Climate + is on-par with the Continental (the MXM4 is better hands down). The PS4S is slightly worse than the Cross Climate+, but a much better tire as far as performance is concerned. The A/S 3 seems to be close to the Cross Climate, again, not as good as the MXM4. I've not driven on the other tires in your spreadsheet. I will note the Cross Climate are a noisy tire compared to the A/S 3.

I've found this site to be a good resource for tire tests, and a lot of them do have rolling resistance: Tyres by Brand - Tyre Tests and Reviews @ Tyre Reviews

Just to be clear, is your goal the lowest possible rolling resistance, or is it some compromise between different metrics?

• Informative
It is highly unfortunate this is not standard labeling on a tire, like many other metrics. Hopefully as EV's become more mainstream this will be the case. I own 7 sets of Model 3 wheels and tires, have driven on many more, so I can at least given you an idea.

The OEM 18" Michelin MXM4 is by far the lowest rolling resistance tire I have driven on. You do sacrifice grip. The OEM 19" Continental is not much worse than the Michelin, but it is not as good. The Michelin Cross Climate + is on-par with the Continental (the MXM4 is better hands down). The PS4S is slightly worse than the Cross Climate+, but a much better tire as far as performance is concerned. The A/S 3 seems to be close to the Cross Climate, again, not as good as the MXM4. I've not driven on the other tires in your spreadsheet. I will note the Cross Climate are a noisy tire compared to the A/S 3.

I've found this site to be a good resource for tire tests, and a lot of them do have rolling resistance: Tyres by Brand - Tyre Tests and Reviews @ Tyre Reviews

Just to be clear, is your goal the lowest possible rolling resistance, or is it some compromise between different metrics?

Thanks for your inputs. My goals are:
1. Find the optimum compromise for my use case (excluding summer for which I have the 20" OEM set) via metrics including, but not limited to, rolling resistance.
2. Collect rolling resistance data to help others make their decision.

Reactions: MrTemple
Thanks for your inputs. My goals are:
1. Find the optimum compromise for my use case (excluding summer for which I have the 20" OEM set) via metrics including, but not limited to, rolling resistance.
2. Collect rolling resistance data to help others make their decision.

Got it, so these tires would be used primarily during the months of November - March? The Cross Climate+ may be a good option as it is a borderline winter tire.

I have the Vredestein Quatrac5 on my LR-AWD, and the rolling resistance must be very low, which is unusual for a snow-rated tire. I can't tell any efficiency difference between these and the OEM Michelins. Running ABRP, and asking it to calibrate the efficiency at 65mph, I get 235Wh/mile, which seems really good to me. That ABRP feature wasn't available when I had the OEMs.

Whether that 235Wh/mile @ 65mph is accurate? It seems so, since I drove a 300+miles trip at between 75mph and 80mph and averaged 265Wh/mile, so 235Wh/m@65mph seems to make sense.

• Informative
You can find rolling resistance coefficient on EU tire labels because it is regulated. Just visit any popular tire vendor website (UK-based for English) and you'll find the results, graded A->E

Methodology here in Annex V
L_2020177EN.01000101.xml

Brilliant! It looks like that EU regulation is quite new, but I found some useful numbers the first place I looked...on MyTyresUK under All-season.
MyTyresUK.jpg

But some of the tires appear slightly different from what we can get here in the USA.
There is a Primacy 4 under Summer Tyres, which has ratings of
B for rolling resistance ( best
I have seen so far), A for wet traction, and 70 dB for noise. Is that the same as our MXM4, but without the acoustic noise absorber?

I will search more and add this great new info into the spreadsheet. Hopefully, this labelling standard will work its way to the USA before too long.

Last edited:
I have the Vredestein Quatrac5 on my LR-AWD, and the rolling resistance must be very low, which is unusual for a snow-rated tire. I can't tell any efficiency difference between these and the OEM Michelins. Running ABRP, and asking it to calibrate the efficiency at 65mph, I get 235Wh/mile, which seems really good to me. That ABRP feature wasn't available when I had the OEMs.

Whether that 235Wh/mile @ 65mph is accurate? It seems so, since I drove a 300+miles trip at between 75mph and 80mph and averaged 265Wh/mile, so 235Wh/m@65mph seems to make sense.

Thanks for your input! Yes, I think your results are consistent with the EXCELLENT rolling resistance from CR shown in the spreadsheet. And I agree that they appear equal to the MXM4 in rolling resistance. Unfortunately, CR didn't include the MXM4 in their tests. I expect it would also be EXCELLENT.

The Quatrac 5 is high on my personal list right now. There is a newer version called Quatrac Pro, but it is not available in the size/load needed for the Model 3. The Quatrac tires appear to be similar to the Cross Climate + and Nokian WRg4, which also have the All Weather snowflake symbol. I have had good luck with Nokian in the past and have WRg3 on two cars now, but they have both gotten much noisier with wear. The WRg4 also looks worse in rolling resistance and other metrics, so it is farther down my Tesla list.

Brilliant! It looks like that EU regulation is quite new, but I found some useful numbers the first place I looked...on MyTyresUK under All-season.
View attachment 572383
But some of the tires appear slightly different from what we can get here in the USA.
There is a Primacy 4 under Summer Tyres, which has ratings of
B for rolling resistance ( best
I have seen so far), A for wet traction, and 70 dB for noise. Is that the same as our MXM4, but without the acoustic noise absorber?

In the details you should be able to see if it's the general variant, or homologated for Tesla (T0) or other manufacturers.

I'd also exercise caution on these metrics because they are a single value that by nature can't encompass all the complexity of tire dynamics. Like the Wet score is really just a wet-braking test, which is valid for that speed and that water level, but says nothing of aquaplaning resistance, steering response, wet braking at different temperatures, etc

Following this thread for a bit, first time poster. I ordered 18 x 8.5" +35 in gunmetal in May. I just received an update saying delivery will be September 15. Details sparse, but suspecting either pandemic or summer related slow down.

My assumption is he's just doing batch ordering to save money. He's not keeping any stock and only ordering when he gets a set number paid for.

• Informative
Reactions: Atraf
Status
Not open for further replies.