Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 - new HOLD mode and other features

Do you use One Petal Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 690 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • Prefer Roll

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Prefer Creep

Votes: 47 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. Here in paradise so many people have installed PV that the utility is fully subscribed and by the time I got mine I could no longer get net metering. The utility will not take my excess. I am allowed to feed back a very small amount for balancing purposes, but they pay me nothing for it, and will complain if that gets too high. So my panels simply stop producing if the Powerwalls are full and the house isn't using power.

So I charge the car only when the panels are at or near peak production, typically from around 9:00 a.m. to around 3:00 p.m. I do this manually, but if the car did it automatically it would be nice. And better yet if the car would communicate with the gateway to pull only what was available after the house demand was met.

Just set the car to start charging at 9am every day and plug in it the night before (or the morning of, if you can do it before 9am). Don't use the new scheduler that says "Depart At", just the "Start Charging At" option where you can enter the charge start time.

Just set the car to start charging at 9am every day and plug in it the night before (or the morning of, if you can do it before 9am). Don't use the new scheduler that says "Depart At", just the "Start Charging At" option where you can enter the charge start time.

It's actually easier to plug it in when I get home and use the app if necessary to stop it charging in the afternoon, and start it again in the morning.

I most certainly would not want the accelerator to behave differently depending on what mode I'm in. That sounds to me like a recipe for disaster.
Seriously, you see no difference between forward and backward motion?

No matter how we roll forward, we all want and expect the car to roll backwards gently without having to apply go pedal pressure to avoid jerking. In fact, the real danger here is having to press the go pedal to defeat hold in reverse. I want my foot over the brake in reverse, conditions permitting.

we all want and expect
Clearly not; speak for yourself.

the real danger here is having to press the go pedal to defeat hold in reverse
You're not "defeating" anything. Press pedal to go; release pedal to stop. Granted, I haven't tried to reverse into a spot on a 15% slope lately, but I have no problems whatsoever with how 1PD mode works. Maybe it helps that I drove stick for a long time, I guess?

Speaking for myself, if I see them on the display I'll have more confidence that the car will react to them. Often cones are used to narrow the driving lane or to direct traffic into an adjacent lane which might normally be an oncoming lane and the car has to cross a double line. The car needs to recognize that the cones override the painted lines. I'm going to disengage autosteer when I see cones because I don't want to rely on the car to recognize them. If the display does not show them then it's moot whether the car will react to them because I'll never feel comfortable letting it try.

And of course, often there's a temporary reduced speed limit where there are cones, and without reading the signs the car won't know it and would speed through the area even if it does follow the cones.

Until we have at least Level 3 (eyes off the road) autosteer, the display needs to show the cones so the driver knows the car sees them and will follow them instead of the painted lines.

. The car needs to recognize that the cones override the painted lines.

It already does. If you missed it previously-

https://ww.electrek.co/2019/12/02/tesla-autopilot-avoid-object-road-construction-zone-video/

Video of a non-HW3 car visibly reacting to construction barrels (even dodging one set out too far part way into the video.) even though it's not displaying them on the screen.

I wonder why Tesla isn't just putting HW3 in ALL model 3's.

It will eventually happen....right?

No.

Only those who purchased FSD will get upgraded to HW3 based on currently available info.

I wonder why Tesla isn't just putting HW3 in ALL model 3's.

It will eventually happen....right?

Seems vanishingly unlikely. HW2.5 does what was promised for EAP. You only get HW3 if you pay for FSD because Tesla promised that the car would have all the necessary hardware for FSD (defined at that time as being capable of operating as a robotaxi).

It already does [recognize cones]. If you missed it previously-

https://ww.electrek.co/2019/12/02/tesla-autopilot-avoid-object-road-construction-zone-video/

Video of a non-HW3 car visibly reacting to construction barrels (even dodging one set out too far part way into the video.) even though it's not displaying them on the screen.

Impressive. My point was that if the display does not show them, how do I know the car sees them? But this is very nice. Thanks for posting that link. I haven't been on the site for while and only look at electrek when somebody posts a link to them about something that looks interesting.

Insofar as cars already built, yes, but I thought Elon said in the Autonomy Day presentation that all M3s off the line since around April were supposed to have HW3?

That's also my understanding. I was talking about cars delivered with the older computers. They'll upgrade your car if you pay for FSD. (At some point they might stop accepting FSD upgrade orders, but they're in a bit of a pinch because they promised that the first Model 3 cars had all the necessary hardware and you could pay for the software upgrade at any time.)

Insofar as cars already built, yes, but I thought Elon said in the Autonomy Day presentation that all M3s off the line since around April were supposed to have HW3?

He did- though this is provably false as there were still some folks (mainly SR owners I think but I didn't track it that closely) who were still getting 2.5HW in cars for months after that date....presumably using old stock up.