Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.50.x - Driving Visualization improvements, new voice commands, Camping Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
installed this afternoon ... nice Xmas present !

Among the already mentioned new features in Europe we got Smart Summon (only max 20 meters distance and only with FSD) and adjacent lane speed (which for you guys is old news) .....

however no driving visualization in release notes.. pity!

I'm on HW3 since I see cones.

I was having problems with the voice commands not being recognized also but I could see the mic icon pulsing when I spoke. I tried a reset but that did not help. I noticed the wifi was turned off. Once I turned the wifi back on the voice commands appeared to start working.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
My voice commands are hit or miss. It seems to respond better to my husband's voice than mine which I find very annoying. I tried to speak in a lower voice as well as louder and softer to see if it was better with a lower register, but nope. It just doesn't like me.

I can get texts and it reads them to me, but most of the time when I try to reply it doesn't seem to even realize I'm talking. When it does capture what I said, then I click the spot to send and it just disappears as if I swiped down to dismiss the box. No text reply sent. I got so frustrated with it that I gave up because I was getting to where I wanted to throw something at it!

The voice commands for other things like the seat heaters and rear camera, etc., are just hit or miss. And my husband's voice works better than mine. He can just be really brief like "front passenger seat heat low" and it does it! I have to give it the verb (turn on...) and it still doesn't even realize I'm talking about 80% of the time.

Question... I have SR+ without FSD. I do not have any enhancements to the traffic while I'm driving. Should there be? Or was that only on cars with FSD? My car has the option to purchase FSD, I just haven't purchased it. I know the recognizing stop signs, etc. would only be FSD, I figured I'd see the stuff like cones and markings in the street like I've seen on some videos. I do have Autopilot, you'd think they'd want autopilot to recognize stop signs and lights too.

And my husband's voice works better than mine. He can just be really brief like "front passenger seat heat low" and it does it! I have to give it the verb (turn on...) and it still doesn't even realize I'm talking about 80% of the time.

Are you in the same spot in the car when you try to give a command as he is? I wonder if there are multiple microphones and the one near you isn't working properly.

Question... I have SR+ without FSD. I do not have any enhancements to the traffic while I'm driving. Should there be? Or was that only on cars with FSD? My car has the option to purchase FSD, I just haven't purchased it. I know the recognizing stop signs, etc. would only be FSD, I figured I'd see the stuff like cones and markings in the street like I've seen on some videos. I do have Autopilot, you'd think they'd want autopilot to recognize stop signs and lights too.

You have to turn the visualizations on in the Autopilot settings. But I think they are only available to FSD purchasers, but I haven't been able to get confirmation. (They also require HW3 which would be for cars built ~April, 2019 and newer.)

I went back and looked at the Autopilot menu. Nothing on there about enhanced traffic to turn on so I guess only people with FSD get it. I should have HW3 as I think it was built in June 2019.

Are you in the same spot in the car when you try to give a command as he is? I wonder if there are multiple microphones and the one near you isn't working properly.

No. I was in the driver seat using the button on the steering wheel. He was in the passenger seat using the mic button on the screen. I messed around with the voice commands a bit again and leaned way over into the middle and had slightly more success. Although, some of the time it typed out exactly what I said, but didn't follow through by doing the command. I used one of the example commands in the release notes too!

And I still can't send text messages. If I say "send text message to Name" (and it actually captures what I said), then it gives me a list of my contacts with names and phone numbers. That person's name was in there, but when I click it, it calls him... not text message. And when someone sends me a message, I click reply and it doesn't even recognize that I'm talking to it. It's an empty window that just says "listening..."

This update is useless to me. I was so looking forward to the voice command features so I wouldn't have to look over at the screen for things like turning on the seat heater or changing the temperature, but with how it's working, I actually have to look at the screen more to see if it's captured my command! Just better for me to act like this feature isn't even present... cuz it's not. Hopefully they'll work out the bugs soon.

Last edited:
Oh, I almost forgot, is anyone else having an issue with the car not pairing correctly with their phone? I noticed when I get in and put my foot on the break it no longer moves to my profile. I have to click the profile thing and find my name. Haven't had to do that in a while, but now it doesn't realize it's me until I choose my profile. Maybe I need to reboot the car. I never know if I should a hard reboot or a soft reboot though.

I went back and looked at the Autopilot menu. Nothing on there about enhanced traffic to turn on so I guess only people with FSD get it. I should have HW3 as I think it was built in June 2019.

No. I was in the driver seat using the button on the steering wheel. He was in the passenger seat using the mic button on the screen. I messed around with the voice commands a bit again and leaned way over into the middle and had slightly more success. Although, some of the time it typed out exactly what I said, but didn't follow through by doing the command. I used one of the example commands in the release notes too!

And I still can't send text messages. If I say "send text message to Name" (and it actually captures what I said), then it gives me a list of my contacts with names and phone numbers. That person's name was in there, but when I click it, it calls him... not text message. And when someone sends me a message, I click reply and it doesn't even recognize that I'm talking to it. It's an empty window that just says "listening..."

This update is useless to me. I was so looking forward to the voice command features so I wouldn't have to look over at the screen for things like turning on the seat heater or changing the temperature, but with how it's working, I actually have to look at the screen more to see if it's captured my command! Just better for me to act like this feature isn't even present... cuz it's not. Hopefully they'll work out the bugs soon.

I do not have FSD. Just had to turn the option on under the autopilot menu.

You have to turn the visualizations on in the Autopilot settings. But I think they are only available to FSD purchasers, but I haven't been able to get confirmation. (They also require HW3 which would be for cars built ~April, 2019 and newer.)

As confirmed by myself and several others in this thread, you do not need FSD for visualizations.