Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.50.x - Driving Visualization improvements, new voice commands, Camping Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t doubt they’re using some robust cloud service for their customer facing servers. Just because the service they are using is more than capable doesn’t mean there couldn’t be a bug with their server side software. Perhaps they underestimated the load and only have a quarter of the virtual machines actually needed running the voice recognition processing software. It may have been difficult for them to judge just how much the voice recognition usage would jump once they actually gave their customers a real reason to finally use it regularly.

Right, it might be aliens also, too.........

Reactions: jebinc
1) And you are certain you have the favorites group set to sync? Go to Setting -> Bluetooth then select the i next to your Tesla and you should see the Bluetooth settings. Make sure favorites is selected:

All this is correct. Still no Favorites. Even tried to "Forget" and "Pair" the phone a couple of times.

:( Resolved. With my wife's phone favorites are shown. Means it's not Tesla, it's my phone. It's company phone with some security policies, that (I guess) prevents favorites from being shared...

Don't think server load is a problem. Tesla obviously uses some cloud service from Amazon, Azure or whatever, which can handle much heavier load... There are way more Alexa users than Tesla drivers.
Yeah, but when a customer signs up for a google (or azure or AWS, etc.) service they pay for a certain amount of provisioning - you don't get the entire computing power of the google cloud if suddenly you have a few hundred thousand people hitting your API.

And even as recent as last year Alexa had it rough on Christmas day when thousands and thousands of new Echos came online. So even when you own the largest computing cloud in the world, these things happen.

HW2 owners are the only ones that can participate in the EAP program.

Why do you keep making up nonsense with no basis in fact?

Elon explictly stated in October they were hoping to get "feature complete" FSD out to EAP members by end of this year. Which by definition would have to be HW3 owners.

Further the HW3 specific features in 40.50 were released to EAP before the public, and screenshots posted by EAP folks at the time, makes it pretty obvious how nonsensical this particular claim is.

My iPhone 6 does not allow me to respond to texts with voice commands. My son’s iPhone X works perfectly. Been looking for a reason to finally upgrade.
Fellow iPhone 6 user here. I kinda hope you’re wrong, since I don’t really want to buy a new phone and would really like this feature to work. Have you been able to identify a specific phone feature difference between your phone and your son’s? Like some config setting he has that you don’t that’s key to this?

Fellow iPhone 6 user here. I kinda hope you’re wrong, since I don’t really want to buy a new phone and would really like this feature to work. Have you been able to identify a specific phone feature difference between your phone and your son’s? Like some config setting he has that you don’t that’s key to this?

someone earlier mentioned you need iOS 13 for this to work- which requires a 6S or newer.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Based on what I am seeing in TeslaFi software tracker, I think the roll out has substantially stalled. Just trickling now (maybe folks on holiday coming back to allow the update to load), but it doesn't seem to be rolling out at anything close to the rate we initially saw on 12/24 (was several installs a minute now one install every several minutes). Maybe some issues? Guess I'm not so bummed that I'm stuck on 40.2.1.
Wish I was.

Don't think server load is a problem. Tesla obviously uses some cloud service from Amazon, Azure or whatever, which can handle much heavier load... There are way more Alexa users than Tesla drivers.
Interesting. I had never considered that Tesla doesn’t run their own cloud services. I mean, I just hadn’t thought about it. But you’re right—they could be hosting on one of the biggies.

I’ve heard this stated before, but still think it is worth a test. Tesla could have licensed the patent or found some other way to do it.
Speed limit are NOT read atm .. they come from map data. Apparently there is a patent issue blocking this (one of those meaningless "we did it with a computer" patents that has yet to be (rightly) thrown out by a court).

I’ve had several BMWs with this feature, and BMW definitely reads the speed limit via the cameras. You can tell because sometimes it gets it wrong, i.e. it will occasionally read the speed limit sign for an alley or some other adjacent road.

I have to guess the vertical field of view the camera uses to pick up the traffic light colors is about 30 degrees. I didn't take any actual measurements just eyeballing it.
I inched up on a traffic light until the red light went out. Which was about 30' in front of me. Then with the red light about 18' above the ground.
Sure enough when the light turned green which is slightly lower than the red light the camera picked it up and displayed.

I have to guess the vertical field of view the camera uses to pick up the traffic light colors is about 30 degrees. I didn't take any actual measurements just eyeballing it.
I inched up on a traffic light until the red light went out. Which was about 30' in front of me. Then with the red light about 18' above the ground.
Sure enough when the light turned green which is slightly lower than the red light the camera picked it up and displayed.

That's interesting. Maybe Tesla isn't using the other two forward cameras for stoplight recognition. I believe the dashcam uses the Narrow forward camera. There is also a Wide and an intermediate forward camera, plus the B-pillar cameras. So it's not surprising that you would see the stoplight disappear off the top of the dashcam view. But it is surprising that the car would lose the stoplight status.

Throughput is not an issue, nor should it be. The pipeline is far more robust these days and can handle just about everything. When you go to a website and there is a delay in response, it's not because the upload/download is clogged. It's all about processing. Amazon has its own servers to handle Alexa.

The voice commands are getting through. Once received, Tesla's servers would have to authenticate the command and respond and activate accordingly to the unique sender. The slowdown occurs when those servers get overloaded.