Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 model year Model 3 discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had read on this forum that Tesla marks their cars as 2019 models based on when it is manufactured, and doesn’t behave as other manufacturers do where they start selling “2020” modes in August/September

I had found a VIN a few states away matching my configuration, and had my local rep claim it. The next day it showed up in the source code of my account page but was not overtly displayed

Today I logged in and I have another, unique vin actually presenting on my account. I had already set up my insurance docs so now I have to change it. My insurance agent informed me the vin is pulling a 2020 model

I thought Tesla didn’t label cars 2020 until they are manufactured in that calendar year? is this correct?

My insurance agent is saying the model year is predicated by the data associated with the vin when they submit it for their services

• Love
Reactions: jonquiljo
Is it higher than 536,000? I think that's where the last VIN's left off before the slowdown
It is higher than 530,000, but lower than 536,000

this is a great site, thanks for that link. I am looking at both the old and new VIN number. The old is 2019 and the new is 2020. I’ve since texted my sales contact and she is saying regardless of what the vin says it counts as a 2019. Now it’s an issue because my insurance forces it to say 2020 but Tesla insists it’s a 2019...this may be a problem signing on delivery day

It is higher than 530,000, but lower than 536,000

this is a great site, thanks for that link. I am looking at both the old and new VIN number. The old is 2019 and the new is 2020. I’ve since texted my sales contact and she is saying regardless of what the vin says it counts as a 2019. Now it’s an issue because my insurance forces it to say 2020 but Tesla insists it’s a 2019...this may be a problem signing on delivery day
Historically Tesla hasn't done model years the same way the rest of the industry does. the 10th character in the VIN determines the year if it is L then it is a 2020 model regardless of what the delivery folks are saying.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Historically Tesla hasn't done model years the same way the rest of the industry does. the 10th character in the VIN determines the year if it is L then it is a 2020 model regardless of what the delivery folks are saying.
Correct - my VIN on my account is reading as a 2020. The sales people apparently were not aware but the manager commented that he has been seeing 2020s coming through. So apparently Tesla is starting to do what other manufacturers are doing and labeling the vehicles as next year’s model ahead of time

it’s good for the value of my model 3 - keeps it fresher, even though it’s identical to 2019. I’m not complaining!

I wonder if this is related to the advertised range increases? I read somewhere on the site that the range increase was a physical change to some part of the car, and could not be software retrofitted.

Would make sense to start calling those model's 2020's, as there were almost certainly regulatory hurdles to cross with those changes.

Saw a few posts of some people who had ordered model X's get matched to 2020 VINs in the last week or two. While your insurance might be higher, I'd be more happy to get 2020 model for resale value (I'm currently awaiting my order) in future as lay person not going to keep up with changes to know that there may have been no change between a 2019 (from say Oct) to 2020 in January or Feb.

Highly doubt Tesla model years will make a big difference in resale value over time. Model Y and more advancement in technologies will definitely hit resale values of cars down the road. Think of Model 3 as iPhone 3GS and we are at 11 now. That’s how tech stuff will improve over time.

You aren’t wrong, but all things considered if someone is choosing between two identical used cars, whose only difference is the model year is 1 year apart, you’re going to pick the newer one. It perceptually has less age. It factors into the algorithms of how these resale companies factor value

You aren’t wrong, but all things considered if someone is choosing between two identical used cars, whose only difference is the model year is 1 year apart, you’re going to pick the newer one. It perceptually has less age. It factors into the algorithms of how these resale companies factor value

Hope it offsets the extra $500 to $1000 in purchase price.

why would it affect the purchase price I’ve already agreed to 2 weeks ago? They shuffled the cars on me, they aren’t increasing the cost of the car? Am I missing something?
I suppose there should be concern that if you ordered a car before the price increase (and potential VIN change) then it is worth even less new than the newer (VIN changed) car. Even though the vehicles are "the same" (as far as we can tell so far).

I suppose there should be concern that if you ordered a car before the price increase (and potential VIN change) then it is worth even less new than the newer (VIN changed) car. Even though the vehicles are "the same" (as far as we can tell so far).

you are saying the reverse of what is happening. This is the timeline.

1. I order model 3
2. I get a vin for a 2019 car and a delivery date this weekend
3. I get my vin changed for a 2020 car with same delivery date

I just got a big plus, same car but with a newer model year. The price increases happen in November. I’ve already put a deposit down and will take delivery before November. I’m not
Sure what price increases would happen before that.