Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Double pane glass is confirmed on model 3
123137261_2752634118386612_6619389249628137175_o.jpg

Tesla Guide HK

Can't wait for the new build process, laminated front window - wind and cabin noise reduction threads.

Pro-tip from old meh Model 3/Y owners: cabin noise on these things is mostly a function of a combo of chassis, subframe, steering rack, suspension, wheel wells and tire interactions, and resulting NVH at speed. Wind noise will prevail also. Too much glass surface area for it not to (laminated or not).

Wait until the weather stripping and gaskets start to dry rot and shrink in a few years. Scratch that. Almost forgot that most on here will offload their current-gen EVs before that happens.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sparky4life
Tesla Norway gave me a firm NO to the heat pump on 2021 SR+ which is a bit of a dealbreaker for me in cold climate. Said had all the other new features but no heat pump.
The price diff from SR+ to LR is 50k NOK. The increased range and awd is really worth it in Norway. The heat pump is not really necessary anyway, this is my 2nd winter with a TM3 and it's not an issue

I know it’s purely a rumor and I am strictly asking for best guess, but if they were to add air suspension to the three and or the Y, when do you think it would be released?

For bonus points, how much do you think it would cost?

If you're trying to determine whether to wait to order based on air suspension availability, no point. Waiting to order for the center console or side glass, ok. But the rumors about air suspension have been flying around since 2018.

I know it’s purely a rumor and I am strictly asking for best guess, but if they were to add air suspension to the three and or the Y, when do you think it would be released?

For bonus points, how much do you think it would cost?

Tesla roll out small changes whenever they feel like, but for big changes like air suspension and the "refresh" this time, I think Tesla will add them only when the model year changes.
The model year approach for big changes makes sense because if I were buying a used Tesla, I can easily tell the difference between the 2020 and 2021 model; I don't have to check the VIN and the build dates for each changes.

To answer your question, I am guessing end of 2021 at the soonest.

Can't wait for the new build process, laminated front window - wind and cabin noise reduction threads.

Pro-tip from old meh Model 3/Y owners: cabin noise on these things is mostly a function of a combo of chassis, subframe, steering rack, suspension, wheel wells and tire interactions, and resulting NVH at speed. Wind noise will prevail also. Too much glass surface area for it not to (laminated or not).

Wait until the weather stripping and gaskets start to dry rot and shrink in a few years. Scratch that. Almost forgot that most on here will offload their current-gen EVs before that happens.

As somebody who owned Mercedes E-class and BMW 5 series (two of each), I can speak to just what laminated side glass helps out with. Both companies offer front side laminated glass as a $1000 option. While both models were as quiet as tombs, there were exceptions: wind noise and side mirror turbulence in the driver and front passenger's ears, along with the noise from passing cars.

That's what the laminated glass helps with. It SIGNIFICANTLY cuts down on those. Nothing else. It's like a driver/front passenger putting a foam earplug in their ears on the window side. NOW in the 3, this will help as there is a LOT of noise coming from the front side glass. On the Y, it also has laminated glass but I find that car has MUCH less noise to begin with.

Just FYI....there are complaint now windows are not closing all the way because of the glass. It’s stopping short at the top because of the thickness and rubbing against the weatherstripping.

Haha. Not really surprised. I'm on the list for a 2021, and eager to get it. But I fully expect issues.

Has there been a case where Tesla has debuted a new vehicle or new features without notable issues?

2 months from now Amazon will be filled with "enhanced weatherstripping" that claims to solve this problem, and 6 months from now Tesla will silently update new models with a fix that really should have been there from the beginning.

Fortunately I will be barely driving this car. And I own towels.

• Funny
Reactions: SmartElectric