Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well they havent shipped the 2170L /E3LD for one year yet.
The only thing I see is if they need the production capacity for 4680 cells, otherwise I guess they’ll make as many as possible? I guess Tesla maximizes the inhouse capacity first and the rest is from external production ?
What I meant is the current situation where Panasonic is shipping its battery packs to China to be used exclusively for the Model 3 Performance. All other Tesla cars/variants use a different battery pack. Even the Model Y Performance, that is a little more powerful than the Model 3 Performance gets the LG 5L pack.

Thats why I expect the Model 3 Performance to shift to the 5L LG packs too. Then the Panasonics can be produced exclusively for the North American market and LG for Asia and EU until Tesla's own cells are ready.

Reactions: AAKEE
What is frustrating for me is that Tesla are putting these packs for LHD LR customers but those of us living in RHD countries have to make do with the lower capacity, slower charging E5D pack from last year...
Doesn't this make logical sense though based upon where the cells are being manufactured? Panasonic = Nevada = US cars. LG Chem = Asia = MIC cars = Europe until Giga Berlin opens.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3
All of continental Europe is LHD and they are getting the Panasonic batteries.
Not according to @eivissa chart:

1630346415996.png

Anyway, well that's good news. 14kWh regained. Clearly something very confused with the BMS at first. At least you have decent capacity now, though 6+% of capacity loss in a couple months still leaves a bit to be desired.

Maybe it'll keep on creeping up? It seems like maybe with CAC it's kind of a rate-limited process of adjusting it upwards or downwards...

Very strange that this happened in the first place, though. I assume they'll reset it next week and then it'll end up higher for a while - the question is whether it iterates downwards towards 74kWh or stays at 79kWh. All depends on what the actual capacity is.

Thanks for keeping us informed. Would be great to continue doing so until the pack situation stabilizes.
Small update. I'm now at 76.5kWh according to SMT, with full rated range of 560km. CAC values all above 220 Ah. While charging from 8% yesterday full rated range was jumping up and down by about 10-20 km (saw it as high as 564) but is clearly trending upwards. Much less variation in the nominal full pack estimate (considering 1kWh is about 6-7 km, and the variation there was only about ~0.1 kWh during the charge). Odometer is now at 7116 km. This Thursday I'm visiting the Service Center.

Small update. I'm now at 76.5kWh according to SMT, with full rated range of 560km. CAC values all above 220 Ah. While charging from 8% yesterday full rated range was jumping up and down by about 10-20 km (saw it as high as 564) but is clearly trending upwards. Much less variation in the nominal full pack estimate (considering 1kWh is about 6-7 km, and the variation there was only about ~0.1 kWh during the charge). Odometer is now at 7116 km. This Thursday I'm visiting the Service Center.

Great. 16.5kWh recovered! Maybe more to go, who knows. In any case, only 3.5% off of where you should be (which Service Center will do nothing about - unless they do a reset in which case it could take you all the way back, depending on whether it's an estimate issue or there's some small pack capacity issue).

Definitely a really unusual event. Hopefully it doesn't happen again!

Reactions: Ylannl
I called Tesla UK yesterday to change my order from white paint to blue paint and they said changing my order would push the delivery date from September to November. While the UK website has not changed yet I think this is an indicator that the cars coming to the UK will have the new battery - otherwise, they'd continue to deliver them throughout September and October? I think there must have been a factory shutdown to accommodate the Q3 changeover from the old batteries to the new, and they're getting rid of the last of the old batteries with the deliveries this month.

Wishful thinking maybe, but with an entire month missing of deliveries it does make sense for a factory shutdown due to battery changeover is the reason. I won't know for sure until they update the website to show 580 miles (614 km).

I called Tesla UK yesterday to change my order from white paint to blue paint and they said changing my order would push the delivery date from September to November. While the UK website has not changed yet I think this is an indicator that the cars coming to the UK will have the new battery - otherwise, they'd continue to deliver them throughout September and October? I think there must have been a factory shutdown to accommodate the Q3 changeover from the old batteries to the new, and they're getting rid of the last of the old batteries with the deliveries this month.

Wishful thinking maybe, but with an entire month missing of deliveries it does make sense for a factory shutdown due to battery changeover is the reason. I won't know for sure until they update the website to show 580 miles (614 km).
There is a good chance that Q4 MIC deliveries have switched to the LG 5L M50 packs, but keep in mind that the delivery break could also be due to the fact that the factory has to take a break and change tooling whenever they switch from RHD to LHD and vice versa.

There is a good chance that Q4 MIC deliveries have switched to the LG 5L M50 packs, but keep in mind that the delivery break could also be due to the fact that the factory has to take a break and change tooling whenever they switch from RHD to LHD and vice versa.

Going off what others from continental Europe have said in this thread (about being offered a cheaper car now, or wait until November for the newer battery), I'm really hoping it was due to the changeover from old battery pack to new and the UK has just been catching up with the continental European market by selling the remaining RHD cars with the old battery pack.

This is going to be very important to me now as I bid farewell to my current 2019 Model 3 on 17th September and will have no Tesla for at least a couple of months! I'll be experiencing major withdrawal no doubt, but if I get the new battery pack with the new car it will all have been worth it...

I've just checked the German, Dutch and Norwegian Tesla websites and they all say Model 3 LR deliveries (614km) have been pushed back to December. So either the UK will get the new battery first or the UK November cars will still be on the old batteries... the latter is more likely. I don't think the UK or RHD have ever got new Tesla tech first.

Last edited:
I believe the EU LR has had a range of 614km since around April this year. What makes us think the RH drive ones would change in Q4?

I’m surprised to hear that the battery pack would even be different for RH vs LH drive. Surely the effort to manage that wouldn’t outweigh any advantages.

I'm not sure what you mean.

The EU have been getting the Panasonic battery since Q2, which has the 614km range and faster supercharging.

Meanwhile, in the UK we've been making do with the old LG pack.

So we've been shortchanged with worse batteries. In the EU they are now given the choice between having our crappy battery, for cheaper, or waiting for the NEW LG pack in December. I'm hoping we'll be getting the same pack as well around then.

There's lots of discussion around the new LG pack vs Panasonic pack vs old LG pack in this thread if you look at the last 10 pages.

I’m surprised to hear that the battery pack would even be different for RH vs LH drive. Surely the effort to manage that wouldn’t outweigh any advantages.
LR RHD were MIC. LHD were Fremont however the European LR cars coming through from China have the same (smaller) BT38 battery that we get in the UK, It seems to have more to do with the factory than the side we sit.

LR RHD were MIC. LHD were Fremont however the European LR cars coming through from China have the same (smaller) BT38 battery that we get in the UK, It seems to have more to do with the factory than the side we sit.
Got it, that makes more sense.

I have an M3 LR due for delivery on the 30th September. I'm on holiday at the time and may be away again in October. So I'm considering delaying the order.

If EU is getting the smaller battery for less, does that suggest the price will increase for the Q4 cars? I'd assume not since you can order one now and it wouldn't be great for Tesla to increase the price after order.

The EU have been getting the Panasonic battery since Q2, which has the 614km range and faster supercharging.
that's quite incorrect Q1 was mix of all types, Q2 only new Panasonic, Q3 only LG same as UK
Got it, that makes more sense.

I have an M3 LR due for delivery on the 30th September. I'm on holiday at the time and may be away again in October. So I'm considering delaying the order.

If EU is getting the smaller battery for less, does that suggest the price will increase for the Q4 cars? I'd assume not since you can order one now and it wouldn't be great for Tesla to increase the price after order.
I would say watch China page if they announce higher range in China in October then there is high probability Q4 will have bigger packs. Most likely scenario IMHO it will be mix of packs.

Reactions: positiv