Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, slow charging, as a WC or any AC charging(max 11kW = 1/7 C) is very friendly to the battery. Litihum batteries do not like to be charged when the cells are sub freezing, but that will be taken car of by the BMS. The battery will be heated to non freezing levels before charging.
I can not se any risk for the battery by charging ”later”. I charge like this always, except SuC, and after 30027km I still have full range, and virtually no degradation. There has to be some, but it do not show right now. If it wanst good for the battery I probably wouldnt have no decrease in range.

But if it is sub freezing temps and the car need to be charged witht the supplied travel ”charger”( ”UMC?), it will take long time to heat the battery if it has cooled down. In that case charging asap after arrival is recommended.

SuC/fast charging = much better at higher temps, 40C or more.
Normal charging, as long as it is not below 0C, its good.
Dear AAKEE, thanks so much for your reply!

On a somewhat similar but separate note...

There have been a few reports of 2022 Y's and 3's now being called back to replace the battery pack. Haven't paid much attention between Performance and LR on these, but is it possible the US 2022's are now using the slightly smaller LG batteries across the board instead of the Panasonic 82's? Would be curious to see what the originals are and what they're being replaced with.

• Funny
Reactions: transpondster
On a somewhat similar but separate note...

There have been a few reports of 2022 Y's and 3's now being called back to replace the battery pack. Haven't paid much attention between Performance and LR on these, but is it possible the US 2022's are now using the slightly smaller LG batteries across the board instead of the Panasonic 82's? Would be curious to see what the originals are and what they're being replaced with.

So would it be the Panasonic e3ld battery they are replacing or the LG?
As far as I understand they have been using LG for a while?
I have the Panasonic e3ld so a bit interested 🙂

So would it be the Panasonic e3ld battery they are replacing or the LG?
As far as I understand they have been using LG for a while?
I have the Panasonic e3ld so a bit interested 🙂

I guess that's a good question. My understanding is that the M3P still has the Panasonic batteries, and the LR's were switching over to the LG packs. I've not been following the Y's as much, but it does seem as if a change was made somewhere if only some of the 2022's are being called back for replacement.

Those two reports are from US customers. LG battery packs are not used for the US market. These battery packs should be the 82kWh Panasonic 3L 2170L packs in both cases.

which is what I would have typically assumed, but the reports of very recently produced models having battery issues that need to be resolved would make me question whether a switch has occurred very recently. Could be way off base here, but unless there was an assembly issue I can't imagine only certain cells being defective on a small amount of vehicles.

Found a bug in the energy screen on M3P 2021( 2021.44.5).

If you change wheels in the service menu to the 18” Aero, the energy screen calc do not work correctly.
With stock 20” Überturbines selected I get 80.8kWh on a energy screen calculation( Nominal Full Pack is = 81.4kWh).

If I change to the 18” Aero v2, the energy screen calc gives me only 72.5kWh.
This without any driving, just changing the wheels in the service menu.
I havent checked with the other selectable wheels.

Picked up my Model 3 LR two days ago and I really like it. Below is an overview picture from teslamate. Really recommend it if you want to get nerdy with statistics.

Screenshot 2021-12-19 at 18.48.30.png

PS. Thank you @AAKEE for all your explanations regarding batteries, it has been really interesting to read about.

Reactions: Steen2000 and AAKEE
Found a bug in the energy screen on M3P 2021( 2021.44.5).

If you change wheels in the service menu to the 18” Aero, the energy screen calc do not work correctly.
With stock 20” Überturbines selected I get 80.8kWh on a energy screen calculation( Nominal Full Pack is = 81.4kWh).

If I change to the 18” Aero v2, the energy screen calc gives me only 72.5kWh.
This without any driving, just changing the wheels in the service menu.
I havent checked with the other selectable wheels.
My assumption: For what I understand on changing size of rims, it changes also the constant (18" are more efficient).
The Average on left of the graph is not changed when you switched from 20 to 18" and th max available km left at the right of the graph are not changed too.
BUT switching rims doesn't changes the max range at 100% (and for a performance with the level of kWh you have is still 505-508.)
So with that average and that km left, you can deal/have with/a smaller battery.

My assumption: For what I understand on changing size of rims, it changes also the constant (18" are more efficient).
The Average on left of the graph is not changed when you switched from 20 to 18" and th max available km left at the right of the graph are not changed too.
BUT switching rims doesn't changes the max range at 100% (and for a performance with the level of kWh you have is still 505-508.)
So with that average and that km left, you can deal/have with/a smaller battery.
It seems like it changes the max range.
I think the present range dropped from 278 km or so to 257 km or so, and the SMT Full rated range dropped from 508km to 461km.
This if of course in the wrong direction as the 18” Aeros are more efficiant.

The other guy at the swedish forum(who’s values got me suspicous), decreased the max range från 492 to 480 or so by changing back to the 20” übers. He also got the energy screen calculation back to about 77kWh, which is more likely to be correct than 71kWh, after 50K km/ 8 months.

I think the present range dropped from 278 km or so to 257 km or so, and the SMT Full rated range dropped from 508km to 461km.

The other guy at the swedish forum(who’s values got me suspicous), decreased the max range från 492 to 480 or so by changing back to the 20” übers. He also got the energy screen calculation back to about 77kWh, which is more likely to be correct than 71kWh, after 50K km/ 8 months.
the little icon of the Battery (the one you can switch it to and from KM and %) has the same amount of km (related to %)?
I mean: if you have normally 500-505 at 100% , usually at 50 it has around 250 km (around 200 at 40% ...around 340 at 68 ...and so on)
Have you noticed an increment or a decrement in this Battery Icon changing wheels setting?

Which is the more accurate predictor of range? The battery icon or the energy graph?
The rated range as replacement for battery percent is based on a fixed comsumption that is usually too low for the average driver.
The energy screen uses your real consumption for the calculation, so the latter is the one to take for most accurate prediction of range.

Does the Wh/min figure change by changing the wheels? I recently changed my wheel size but left it at 20 inch instead of changing to 18 inch with Aeros. I am using Ps4S with the 18s so the 18 inch with aeros doesn’t seem like the appropriate selection given I’m using PS4S tires vs the stock primacy’s

the little icon of the Battery (the one you can switch it to and from KM and %) has the same amount of km (related to %)?
I mean: if you have normally 500-505 at 100% , usually at 50 it has around 250 km (around 200 at 40% ...around 340 at 68 ...and so on)
Have you noticed an increment or a decrement in this Battery Icon changing wheels setting?
I have usually 505-508km@100% with the stock 20” Überturbines. I havent changed the setting before until I got suspicious about the other ’21 M3P with strangly low capacity according to the energy graph.

When I changed to the 18” Aero 2, the actual range at the battery dropped from about 287 to 259. The estimated ”ideal full range”/”Full rated range” in SMT( which always is in pair with the cars 100% SOC range) dropped from 508 to 461km.

18” Aeros should, if any change, be longer with a lower constant.
Also, the energy screen calculation cut away about 10kWh of the capacity when the 18” was choosen, so Tesla for sure have some bug fixing to do.

For me, I use the 20” Übers during summer and have 19” 235/40 spike tyres that use about the same ampunt of energy so I will continue to use the 20” Über setting during the winter as well.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Does the Wh/min figure change by changing the wheels? I recently changed my wheel size but left it at 20 inch instead of changing to 18 inch with Aeros. I am using Ps4S with the 18s so the 18 inch with aeros doesn’t seem like the appropriate selection given I’m using PS4S tires vs the stock primacy’s
Well it seems to change, but not as it should. This setting has a bug so perhaps try another wheel from the menue if needed. The setting is supposed to adjust the consumption calculation so the navigation is more accurate.

I have usually 505-508km@100% with the stock 20” Überturbines. I havent changed the setting before until I got suspicious about the other ’21 M3P with strangly low capacity according to the energy graph.

When I changed to the 18” Aero 2, the actual range at the battery dropped from about 287 to 259. The estimated ”ideal full range”/”Full rated range” in SMT( which always is in pair with the cars 100% SOC range) dropped from 508 to 461km.

18” Aeros should, if any change, be longer with a lower constant.
Also, the energy screen calculation cut away about 10kWh of the capacity when the 18” was choosen, so Tesla for sure have some bug fixing to do.

For me, I use the 20” Übers during summer and have 19” 235/40 spike tyres that use about the same ampunt of energy so I will continue to use the 20” Über setting during the winter as well.
What it seems strange , is that the SMT NFP changes too. This is very strange.
This is a very big bug expecially for people who can switch to 18" from 20" in winter season.
A friend of mine with a 117k km and 2years and half 2019 LR AWD switched ONLY on the setting to Uberturbine. (from 18")
the range (on scrolling the cursor on APP) went to 500 km at 100%.!!
Obviously we know thta the App scroll is not accurate but , when you use to se day by day month to month year by year a LOWER value (my friend was accustomed to see 465 km lately) it's a long term way to see some trend degradation too.

What it seems strange , is that the SMT NFP changes too. This is very strange.
This is a very big bug expecially for people who can switch to 18" from 20" in winter season.
A friend of mine with a 117k km and 2years and half 2019 LR AWD switched ONLY on the setting to Uberturbine. (from 18")
the range (on scrolling the cursor on APP) went to 500 km at 100%.!!
Obviously we know thta the App scroll is not accurate but , when you use to se day by day month to month year by year a LOWER value (my friend was accustomed to see 465 km lately) it's a long term way to see some trend degradation too.
No, the SMT NFP do not change. With SMT, the maximum range estimate (the same as the car range at 100%SOC) changed to 461, from 508km when I selected 18" Aero 2 instead of 20" Überturbines.

For the guys without SMT, if performing the energy screen capacity calc ( average consumption x estimated range/ SOC) changes, so it no longer is valid.
My NFP is 81.4 kWh and energy screen maxed out (due to capped at about 80.7-80.8), but when I select the 18" wheels the same estimate only reach 72kWh, and remaining range on the battery symbol did loose some 20 km out of 289km before.

Same thing for the other M3P '21 owner at a Swedish forum, we didnt know about this bug initially so he got a little unhappy from loosing 10kWh in 8 months from the car was new. But happy again, when the 20" Überturbines was selected.

Energy screen calcs can get wrong, at least with the current firmware(2021.44.5)