Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or he has switched to 18/19" wheels during winter season? Changing this setting in the car increases the battery capacity by 8% in these API reports.
Never changed the to 19 or 18"
I use SMT and I monitor NFP , at end of the day i update the Excel .
I was so happy because the last 6 months the car started to show a relatively constant value on NFP (77kWh to 78kWh).
Now in the last 2 weeks (since 25 april when I re started to charge in AC) I lost 3 kWh

I can see how that would change predicted range, but battery capacity shouldn't be affected.
What is meant is the common loggers are using the predicted 100% rated range. Once you change the wheels in the M3P 2021 from 20 to 19/18 then the rated consumption is reduced by 8% which makes those loggers show a battery capacity that is 8% too high.

Reactions: theothertom
What is meant is the common loggers are using the predicted 100% rated range. Once you change the wheels in the M3P 2021 from 20 to 19/18 then the rated consumption is reduced by 8% which makes those loggers show a battery capacity that is 8% too high.
I have to disagree (even if I consider you a guru along with others here in the board ...).
You EIVISSA defined in the your board (the german one) that the BMS of the 82,1 kWh battery is a DEEVA! Mine is for sure a Deeva with its fluctuations!
Based on SMT ( OK it's not the Bible....) but when I tried to change the wheels to 19 or 18 (only to try ... I made 0 km with switched wheels), the Full Rated and Full Ideal range changed (less than 8% IICR) but NFP was the same (probably switching wheels triggers a change in the constant ).
WHAT I'm monitoring and recording on excel since day one is NFP, and when I remember I give a look to CAC too.
2 weeks ago it was at 230-228-226 Ah . Today 217-218-220 and 75,1 NFP.
And NFP (we all know...) it's only what the BMS is estimating as Full capacity.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Is this only in Europe? I am not aware of rated range changes in the US based on wheel selection, except for the well-known 2020 Performance which has three different rated ranges with wheel selection, since EPA tests were done (unlike on other vehicles with alternate wheel configs). Of course with no energy change; just a different rated range, with the same actual range assuming no physical vehicle change.

However, I of course have no way to actually see this and keep track - but have not heard anything of this here (in the US).

I guess maybe they do this in Europe because the numbers are arbitrary anyway (they are EPA results or untested estimates of what EPA would be, which have no relation to WLTP).

Is this only in Europe? I am not aware of rated range changes in the US based on wheel selection, except for the well-known 2020 Performance which has three different rated ranges with wheel selection,
My car has shown that there was some change with different wheels since the update that raised the range from 310 to 315 miles(499 to 507km).
But it was very bugged and the range dropped considerably with ither settings than the stock 20” Überturbines.
The SOC also dropped by 5-7% or so.

I think this was fixed quite recently. Last check for me was perhaps 8-9 months ago and then it wasnt fixed.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I use SMT and I monitor NFP , at end of the day i update the Excel .
Did you ever consider to use Teslalogger for this, as this is one of its best features. It updates my NFP everytime I get in the car or at the end of a charge.
2 weeks ago it was at 230-228-226 Ah . Today 217-218-220 and 75,1 NFP.
It's only worth looking at CAC min as this is mulitplied with the Nominal Voltage to get NFP. Maybe you can compare it, but I am pretty certain the BMS is using 348V fixed for this.
I have to disagree
I've read your whole post and don't see any point were we are in disagreement. The consumption constant can easily be checked and confirmed or disproved by anyone with a M3P 2021 - 2023 and Scan My Tesla.
Is this only in Europe?
I'd be surprised if this behavior wasn't reproducible in any M3P Refresh all around the world. @conv90 could switch his tires to 18" or 19" for starters and just check full rated range before and after. It should go up by 8%, as the rated consumption drops by 8%. Nominal Full Pack is not bothered by this, obviously.

This is how the jumps in the constant look like on a logger:
Screenshot 2023-05-10 193004.jpg

Low SOC enables the possibility for the battery to recover capacity.
Definately. I've went for a calibration run "crowbar"-style and recovered 4kWh.
FireShot Capture 013 - Degradation-Rick#5 - Grafana - virtualbaer.ddns.net(1).png

• Drove it down to 1% on a long journey and left it to sleep over night.
  • Charged it up to 100% and left it sitting for 5 hours.
  • Drove it down to 95% and left it to sleep over night.
  • Got up from 70kWh to 74kWh.

Reactions: johnny_cakes
I'd be surprised if this behavior wasn't reproducible in any M3P Refresh all around the world.
Yeah would be nice to know (with the required pictures of rated miles, etc., of course). Have not heard of it but maybe no one is paying attention here. Could easily be true.

Very easy to check!

I was aware of the bug that @AAKEE had mentioned but maybe they were trying to implement this and now it works correctly.

Reactions: AAKEE
Yeah would be nice to know (with the required pictures of rated miles, etc., of course). Have not heard of it but maybe no one is paying attention here. Could easily be true.

Very easy to check!

I was aware of the bug that @AAKEE had mentioned but maybe they were trying to implement this and now it works correctly.
I still have the bug.
20” Überturbine selected, I see 270km range at 55% displayed.

Selecting the 18” with Aero caps I get 53% and 260km.

The constant still is the same, no upgrade in range, only the SOC that goes down.

Switching back, I se 55% and 270km again.

Same here in a MIC M3P 2022 with 82kWh Panasonic on SW 2023.12.5 and NFP 74,1kWh / SOC 94%:
  • 20" -> 464km
  • 18" -> 490km
5,5% change this time. Maybe more drivers can share their data for comparison.
I have 23.12.1.1, but there is a new softwarw ready to install.
Putting summer wheels on, cleaning the calipers.

But my bug still is there. I get lower range and lower SOC with the 18” compared to the 20” uber. Nothijg changed since 2021

At the same time:

20” / 55% —> 270 km
18” / 53% —> 260 km

Last edited:
Correct and this phenomenon with the rated range changes has been unchanged for maybe a year already? People see this in their logger for at least one winter season change back and forth.
I still have the bug,
The LFP started at 4,5% briefly, then cars started quitting with 10% SoC and above. Tesla soon increased the Buffer to 11% (not 11kWh as I wrote earlier). Later an update followed that introduced the variable buffer that ranges from the normal 4,5% to 11% depending on the BMS'es certainty of its own capacity.

I am not sure about the timing of it all as I've never owned a standard range Tesla, let alone the LFP battery pack.
How do Tesla use the buffer, is it excluded from the full range (do the range decrease as the buffer increase) ?

Same here in a MIC M3P 2022 with 82kWh Panasonic on SW 2023.12.5 and NFP 74,1kWh / SOC 94%:
  • 20" -> 464km
  • 18" -> 490km
5,5% change this time. Maybe more drivers can share their data for comparison.
My contribution (just this morning):
M3P 2021 Panasonic 82 (US) with stock 20 Wheels
SMT :
NFP :75,5
SOC: 39,8
FRR: 477 km
Range 190 km
Switching to 19":
NFP :75,5
SOC: 39,8
FRR: 489km
Range 195