Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if this is normal not being able to charge the car to 4.20V at 100%?

I am "missing" quite a bit of range in km/miles so was wondering if this is BMS imbalance and how to improve?

Model 3 Performance (06/2021, 32k km / 20k miles).

F74B21F4-388D-4390-ADE6-3524FEADC05F.jpeg

06365AEB-9EC2-44FB-8675-B4851E8DE090.jpeg

Just wondering if this is normal not being able to charge the car to 4.20V at 100%?

I am "missing" quite a bit of range in km/miles so was wondering if this is BMS imbalance and how to improve?

Model 3 Performance (06/2021, 32k km / 20k miles).

View attachment 861930

View attachment 861931
The battery was most probably charged so the highest cell reached 4.20V during a time which the cureent decreased to the limit that made it stop the charging.

If the cells had been resting with the contactors, the Open Circuit Voltage probably had been very close to 4.20V/cell.

Balancing the cell voltage is done by bleeding off the excess voltage of the highest cells.
Only 6mV imbalance implies the car have been balancing for a while. This lowers the cell voltage of the “high” cells.

Did you have the charger connected?
If not the consumption from AC/heating and lights etc put a slight load on the battery, decreasing the voltage a little bit.

Also, as cells age the will not read 4.20V after a charge but a little lower even OCV.

Your values seems fine.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
The battery was most probably charged so the highest cell reached 4.20V during a time which the cureent decreased to the limit that made it stop the charging.

If the cells had been resting with the contactors, the Open Circuit Voltage probably had been very close to 4.20V/cell.

Balancing the cell voltage is done by bleeding off the excess voltage of the highest cells.
Only 6mV imbalance implies the car have been balancing for a while. This lowers the cell voltage of the “high” cells.

Did you have the charger connected?
If not the consumption from AC/heating and lights etc put a slight load on the battery, decreasing the voltage a little bit.

Also, as cells age the will not read 4.20V after a charge but a little lower even OCV.

Your values seems fine.
OK, thanks.

This was about 15 minutes after full charge and charger was still connected. (Then I of course drove to 90%).

But anyway, then nothing to worry about. Just wondering the sudden ~10-15km range "loss".

Just wondering the sudden ~10-15km range "loss".
Focus on the long-term average. BMS tends to readjust estimates in larger steps (not 1km at a time or whatever). You may see a bit of recovery (maybe 5-8km) in the future (next 3-6 months) after a big step down like this. Or it may just flat line for a while.

It's almost certainly real to some extent, but the exact magnitude of the loss isn't really known. Some bouncing around.

We are currently seeing a high degradation and failure rate of China made Panasonic battery packs. These were used in Shanghai made Model 3 Performance from Q3/2021 till Q1/2022. To get a better overview I have started a google survery, which I hope will be shared around the Tesla community.

Anyone with a Panasonic 82kWh battery pack Model 3 is free to participate, although the delivery date needs to be within Q4/2020 and Q1/2022. US made cars and battery packs are free to join, so we can compare degradation data.

You can also answer more than once to draw your own curve within the chart. Advanced charts will follow, once there is more data.

I thought that made in Shanghai LR and Perfermance we’re getting the LG NC 78kWh battery?

And that the Panasonic was only found for US cars
The first year of M3 Performance from China did get Panasonic 82kWh. There was no other battery that could match the requirements.

The batteries was put together in China, from cells made in Fremont (or wherever they make these in us, I do not remember)

About degradation is curious that I had my over 50,000 left FREE supercharger km EXPIRED at 25 April 2023.
My car is a 49000km old M3 Perf (march 2021, 82 kWh Panasonic 2170 cells), charged from end of march 22 Exclusively at Supercharger from 10-20 to 55-60%.
So I started again to charge with AC chargers (home or public)
See the graph
a red line says when I started to charge again in AC.
1683805668367.png

Yes, curious indeed. Looks like you lost about 5% over the first year or so, then the battery capacity increased. Batteries don't work that way. Maybe there's something curious about the app you are using to measure battery capacity.
Or he has switched to 18/19" wheels during winter season? Changing this setting in the car increases the battery capacity by 8% in these API reports.

Reactions: theothertom