Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick Update:

All made in china Model 3 that are soon arriving on the European coast have the new Drive Unit Cat 2.

Long Range as E5D LG 75kWh.
Performance as E3LD Panasonic 82kWh.

Q2 had actually eventually established that LR/P are all Panasonic 82kWh, but now we are basically back to Q1...with the only change being the (expected) better built quality from China.

Quick Update:

All made in china Model 3 that are soon arriving on the European coast have the new Drive Unit Cat 2.

Long Range as E5D LG 75kWh.
Performance as E3LD Panasonic 82kWh.

Q2 had actually eventually established that LR/P are all Panasonic 82kWh, but now we are basically back to Q1...with the only change being the (expected) better built quality from China.
Thanks for the update!
Any info regarding the Model Y coming to Europe? (Drive Unit, battery, etc.)

There is “slight” difference indeed.
This is why, I guess, Chinese M3 LR are sold with a 2k€ discount versus US ones (at least in France)

Interesting and perhaps related to foolish nationalism. If one was getting the SR doesn't it make sense to get the LFP batteries so that you can charge to a higher percentage without worry? Everything I've read here suggests that the Chinese model 3 has better build quality...

Any info regarding the Model Y coming to Europe? (Drive Unit, battery, etc.)
Nothing yet, but I expect V19 to include the initial certification of the Model Y.
Also my best guess is, that the Y comes with Drive Unit Cat 2 and the new 82kWh LG Battery -> Y5LD.

There is “slight” difference indeed.
  • 7kWh
  • Roughly 50km range in real life scenarios
  • 6-10 Minutes on each SuC stop

Chinese M3 LR are sold with a 2k€ discount versus US ones (at least in France)
I beleive that discount is granted for the whole of Europe. Also a bit weird...
  • In Q4/2020 and Q1/2021 there was no discount for E5D buyers vs E3D/E3CD although the latter was charging faster and has (initially) more capacity.
  • In Q2/2021 there was no discount for E5D buyers vs E3LD although the difference was getting very significant.
  • Now in Q3 there is no E3LD LR available and the only option (E5D LG) is being sold at a 2000€ discount.

perhaps related to foolish nationalism
This is a bit uncalled for, isnt it? Especially when you look at the fact that this is a discount granted by Tesla to all European customers...

If one was getting the SR doesn't it make sense to get the LFP batteries so that you can charge to a higher percentage without worry?
Certainly! Though not really a choice I guess, since NCA in the SR+ seems to be gone for good. The SR+ LFP daily charged to 100% (recommended by Teslas newest Model 3 users manual!) is getting quite close to the LG Long Range (daily SoC 80%) actually. Not only in daily usable range, but also looking at the charging speed on a Supercharger.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Nothing yet, but I expect V19 to include the initial certification of the Model Y.
Also my best guess is, that the Y comes with Drive Unit Cat 2 and the new 82kWh LG Battery -> Y5LD.
VIN begin to be assigned for Model Y reaching the European coast like LRWYGCEK2MC... or LRWYGCEK0MC...

Does it provide any information regarding the Drive Unit/battery (75 or 82 LG ones)?

VIN begin to be assigned for Model Y reaching the European coast like LRWYGCEK2MC... or LRWYGCEK0MC...

Does it provide any information regarding the Drive Unit/battery (75 or 82 LG ones)?
  • E was also in the model 3 LR VIN were we know it is the 75kWh LG pack. There is still a possibility that E is also valid for the 82kWh pack.
  • Drive units in Q3 from Shanghai are called J (SR+), L (Performance) and K (Long Range). All are designators for the Drive unit Cat 2. So that confirms it for the Y as well.

I have been seeing a climb in NFP, but have done a couple of 80-100% charges about every second day due to holyday trips( “homydays”, due to Covid-19) NFP was 79.5 as the low point, climbed to 80-80.1, and stayed when a couple of days of of 60% charge. So it seemed stuck at about 80.1.
Now we have had some days with about 15-18C, quite windy. NFP currently at 80.4.
I’m getting more and more convinced the temperature has quite noticeble impact on NFP.

My NFP has been steady at 80.1, with only charging generally to 62%. Haven’t charged to 100% yet. 1,600 miles so far. Not a daily driver. 05/21 build. Ambient temperatures here have been in the mid 90s.

Attachments

• DE2D9B0A-CF56-439A-BE82-1BF110475187.jpeg
    DE2D9B0A-CF56-439A-BE82-1BF110475187.jpeg
    224 KB · Views: 110
My NFP has been steady at 80.1, with only charging generally to 62%. Haven’t charged to 100% yet. 1,600 miles so far. Not a daily driver. 05/21 build. Ambient temperatures here have been in the mid 90s.
How about you give that 100% charge a try then? Show the car were its top is.

I've done that twice so far (orange usable remaining lines) and in general my NFP hovers between 80,5 and 81,0.
Screenshot 2021-07-24 at 14-24-25 Degradation-Custom - Grafana.png

Is the NFP you folks are reporting the same as you get using AlanSubie4Life's method in the sticky post, using the Tesla Charging screen?
Anyway, his method gives me a pretty consistent 78kWh for a M3LR built in June 2021, from the first 50 to 1500 kms.
The Q2 LR has an "optical range lock". As far as we understand it, the range above 77,8kWh is not shown, so the car peaks at a range of around 352 miles / 570km. The capacity above 78kWh is basically not visible (but usable!) without a tool like Scan My Tesla.

Therefore the range display method doesn't work on the 82kWh LR at the moment.

• Informative
Reactions: brulaz
The Q2 LR has an "optical range lock". As far as we understand it, the range above 77,8kWh is not shown, so the car peaks at a range of around 352 miles / 570km. The capacity above 78kWh is basically not visible (but usable!) without a tool like Scan My Tesla.

Therefore the range display method doesn't work on the 82kWh LR at the moment.

Does that mean that the capacity above 78 kWh is outside of the displayed state of charge so that when I charge to say 90% it doesn’t really charge to 90%?

Does that mean that the capacity above 78 kWh is outside of the displayed state of charge so that when I charge to say 90% it doesn’t really charge to 90%?
If you have an E3LD 82kWh Long Rabge, then yes. Basically you have around 3,6kWh below 0% that are invisible but usable and around 4kWh above 100% that are also invisible but usable...if that makes sense.

What you can pay attention to:
When you charge to 100% then you will notice that it takes a lot longer to get to charge complete. Also when you are fully charged you can drive for a while before the rated range starts to decrease.

• Informative
Reactions: brulaz
If you have an E3LD 82kWh Long Rabge, then yes. Basically you have around 3,6kWh below 0% that are invisible but usable and around 4kWh above 100% that are also invisible but usable...if that makes sense.

What you can pay attention to:
When you charge to 100% then you will notice that it takes a lot longer to get to charge complete. Also when you are fully charged you can drive for a while before the rated range starts to decrease.

Yeah it’s a E3LD. Okay, so that would mean that 90% is only around 85% in reality. I’d check how many kWh it charges above 100% but my battery died spectacularly earlier this week so the car is in service.

• Informative
Reactions: Stan930