Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: 3 Delivery experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update on my delivery. OD 5/1/21. Pick up date was 2/14/22. They called me yesterday and asked if I wanted to pick it up this Saturday 2/12/22. Grand Rapids MI store.

It is going to be quite cold on Saturday, high of 19 F. I asked about doing the delivery inside, in the service area. They said on Saturday they may be able to do that. I have feeling that wont happen but maybe it will.

However, I am not going thru a checklist. I have read a lot of good points to look at in this forum. I am simply going to review it like I am purchasing any other vehicle. I know what I need to look for and wont be overly critical. I actually spent 15 years in automotive as a tier 1 quality engineer. Spent a lot of time in assembly plants. I am very aware of standard and specifications.

Looking forward to Saturday. Only two days away. I will try to reply to this message after I pick it up.

Picking up my M3P tomorrow in Burbank. Pretty excited! My goal is to look over everything thoroughly without being insanely nitpicky. A lot of times, when I look at the photos people post of their issues, I can't tell what's wrong, so don't think I'm going to be that guy with my gap measuring tool or anything like that! I'll report back on how it goes... for science.

VIN: 170xxx. Yes, I have the Ryzen processor.

I took delivery today at Burbank. The process was pretty simple. The cars are all in numbered spots in the lower level of a mall parking garage. There’s a little concierge stand with a couple Tesla helpers if you have issues, but if you don’t then you never have to speak to a human. They send you a text two hours out with your spot number, but you can’t get into your car until the stroke of the time your appointment is for, so don’t show up super early. I had to ask one of the helpers for one thing (they had to set a flag for my finance type or something before I could accept delivery) but it was quick and simple.

My car had no issues that I could see, but I’ll take a better look in the light tomorrow. Overall a very streamlined process. The drive home was good as I learned how to use autopilot and configure various systems to my preferences. It’s fast AF. I have to figure out what format my SSD needs to be in to connect that up.

@NoxGrimstad , did they have the front plate on? did you transfer your plate from your old car to this one?
as for the ssd, just format it inside the car.
No. They have the paper tag in the windshield and the stick on mount in the trunk. I’m leaving it that way for now. I did not transfer plates. I have a cravenspeed front plate mount that I’ll set up when I get my hard plates (gotta come up with a good vanity plate!).

I did figure out the SSD thing last night once I got home! That’s a handy feature. Looks like they support exFAT now, too, so that’s cool.

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt
thanks boss - last time when i got my tesla (not at Burbank. a different location) the front plate was already on. i DONT want it on, and seems the burbank location is not putting it on which is cool. im just asking everyone who gets their car from burbank if they did this.

Picked up a 165xxx M3 this morning. Silver. 18" LR. Ordered May 1st. Yes May 1st. The delay was on my end. Wanted to lock a price in with all these supply chain issues. didnt need it till Jan/Feb; when daughter turns 16 and gets my whip.

Pick up experience very very smooth. A+. By far the easiest purchase of a new car I have ever had. Super helpful setting it up.

Then....

During pick up
Passenger mirror seems to be shadowed by the frame it is in. Driver side is ok. Look across to the passenger mirror and 10-15% of the left side is shadowed by the frame. Tesla said they will schedule service and take a look. That was the only thing that jumped out to me.

After pick up
Within two hours (drove home then took wife for a ride, 20 miles on the car), brake regen, lane assist, traction control, stability control. Basically all the redundant safety stuff gone.

Called Tesla. Weird you cant call the store. Goes to a call center. But they are local call center within the US and actually very nice and helpful. But you have to go to sales not service, if you want to talk with someone.

First call, they told me local Grand Rapids service center will call me Monday. And they will get to it right away remotely. If that doesnt work, I will have to bring it in. I told them I am not comfortable driving the car as is. The big thing is drive regen. In the coasting mode the brakes are not that responsive. I could make it work but I would prefer not. And I just bought a new car. I mentioned to the Tesla agent that I would have to contact a rental car company next because I would be out a car for work. I mentioned it multiple times. He did not offer a loaner.

Called the wife who was on her way to FLA for a girls vacation with friends. I typically ask her before I turn things up a notch. She agreed a loaner should be provided.

Second call, I asked for a loaner. The Tesla rep agreed that I should get a loaner and got me one. Dropped car off at the store and drove the 2018 LR M3 home with 25k miles. Interesting to take that car for a drive. Has FSD. But my new M3 is much improved over the 2018.

Typical squeaky wheel scenario. Not hating my M3 yet. Tesla reacted properly with a little 'push' from me.

Update in the coming days or week.

BTW Ryzen processor.

Attachments

• IMG_6602.jpg
    IMG_6602.jpg
    557.3 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_6604.jpg
    IMG_6604.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_6603.jpg
    IMG_6603.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 129
WooHoo, I finally received long awaited letter from GM Financial stating i have a zero balance on my previous EV (Chevy Bolt). Uploaded the requested document to Tesla app and now i wait for final approval of loan application. Hope to loan approved before the Fed raises interest rates ;)I
I put in to repurchase my 2020 Bolt in January, gonna pay it off end of this month. If and when GM comes thru gonna order a 3.

My scheduled delivery is on the 17th. Spoke to the store rep, and he said it arrived yesterday, but apparently it takes them a few days to prepare the car for delivery. Has anyone had an experience with an earlier delivery than the scheduled date?

I had a similar situation. If you call them daily and remind them politely that you’re all ready for this rodeo, they could easily push your delivery up (It doesn’t actually take them 4 days for them to prep a car.)

My speculation is that they have x number of new cars on their lot, and their delivery schedule for you is based on the time it takes to prep, not your specific car, but all of the x number of cars. If they see you taking a special interest they can opt to give you your car right after it is prepped, and if the prepping of of your car is earlier on in the processing of the x number of cars, then you might be able to get yours a couple days early. .

Last edited:
  • Informative
Picked up a 165xxx M3 this morning. Silver. 18" LR. Ordered May 1st. Yes May 1st. The delay was on my end. Wanted to lock a price in with all these supply chain issues. didnt need it till Jan/Feb; when daughter turns 16 and gets my whip.

Pick up experience very very smooth. A+. By far the easiest purchase of a new car I have ever had. Super helpful setting it up.

Then....

During pick up
Passenger mirror seems to be shadowed by the frame it is in. Driver side is ok. Look across to the passenger mirror and 10-15% of the left side is shadowed by the frame. Tesla said they will schedule service and take a look. That was the only thing that jumped out to me.

After pick up
Within two hours (drove home then took wife for a ride, 20 miles on the car), brake regen, lane assist, traction control, stability control. Basically all the redundant safety stuff gone.

Called Tesla. Weird you cant call the store. Goes to a call center. But they are local call center within the US and actually very nice and helpful. But you have to go to sales not service, if you want to talk with someone.

First call, they told me local Grand Rapids service center will call me Monday. And they will get to it right away remotely. If that doesnt work, I will have to bring it in. I told them I am not comfortable driving the car as is. The big thing is drive regen. In the coasting mode the brakes are not that responsive. I could make it work but I would prefer not. And I just bought a new car. I mentioned to the Tesla agent that I would have to contact a rental car company next because I would be out a car for work. I mentioned it multiple times. He did not offer a loaner.

Called the wife who was on her way to FLA for a girls vacation with friends. I typically ask her before I turn things up a notch. She agreed a loaner should be provided.

Second call, I asked for a loaner. The Tesla rep agreed that I should get a loaner and got me one. Dropped car off at the store and drove the 2018 LR M3 home with 25k miles. Interesting to take that car for a drive. Has FSD. But my new M3 is much improved over the 2018.

Typical squeaky wheel scenario. Not hating my M3 yet. Tesla reacted properly with a little 'push' from me.

BTW Ryzen processor.
I find it interesting the lack of interest.

VIN 167XXX M3 LR (cheapest LR config)
Ordered late oct 2021 and took delivery mid Feb 2022

Had the worst experience picking up vehicle yesterday. Drove 4 hrs to the delivery center (closest one to me). It's my second model 3 so I expected some cosmetic issues and shenanigans, but it turned out to be bigger...

After waiting for an hour, the staff told me "the technicians are inspecting the vehicle", I was like "???? that sounds ominous", the staff: "it's routine"... And then a while later,

me: "what's up now?"
another staff (let's call him staff B): "your car's drive computer is buggy for some reason, we have been trying to figure out"
me: "you couldn't have told me this before I took a rental and drove 4 hrs here?"
staff B: "this has never happened during my time doing delivery"

after another hour,
staff B: "we replaced an SD card inside the drive computer and now it's working"
me: "there is an SD card that you can replace???"
staff B: "yeah we replaced the card and reinstalled the firmware, and now it's working"

I took delivery afterall, hoping that warranty will cover whatever comes next.

F for not inspecting my vehicle and informing me that there is an issue after setting the delivery date. (Yes Tesla gives me 3 days to pick but in reality I have no choice but to accept small 3-day window.)

Am I annoyed? Yes.
Will I keep my car? Yes (for no really better competitors at the moment.)
Is the car great? Absolutely no for build quality (albeit it seems to have improved) Autosteering (autopilot without FSD) is more buggy than before (with radars)
Do I want to file a complaint against Tesla? Yes, I asked the staff to do so, but apparently they don't know how.
Will I short Tesla? (From a customer point of view, if that can make a big impact I will.) Depends because I don't want to lose my money XD

Yay! I picked up my new 2022 Model 3 VIN #F174xxx directly from the factory yesterday evening (Feb 12, 2022) around 7pm!

It was a much longer process than I anticipated. My delivery appointment was originally scheduled for 1pm but fortunately I checked the app right before I left the house and saw that they pushed the delivery appointment at the last minute to 3pm. No, they did not call me or send me a text or email to let me know that the time had changed. I got there early at 2:30pm to check out the car ahead of time. I found the car and was checking out the exterior as my 3pm appointment approached and as a tech was checking out something in the inside of the car. The tech abruptly drove the car away without saying a word to me and I got a text saying the delivery had been rescheduled for 4pm.

"But wait," you might be thinking, "I thought you said in a previous post your VIN was F177xxx? And why did it take until 7pm to pick up your car when they only pushed the delivery to 4pm?"

Well I'm sorry to say my original car, VIN F177474, did not even make it out of the Tesla factory parking lot. The car started throwing a bunch of "Powertrain requires service" error messages and went into reduced power mode. :mad:
1644779545982.png

They tried resetting it a few times but the errors kept coming back. At this point I'm thinking to myself "Crap! I've already paid for and accepted delivery of this car! It'll probably be in service for months and when I get it back it will never work right! You fool! You should have realized something was wrong with the car because of the way they kept pushing back the delivery time!"

So they took the car into service to have it looked at and I got to wait around even longer. When they came back they said it was good news: it's not a hardware issue but only a software issue. They can have the car fixed by Monday and they might be able to give me a loaner until then (they'd have to check). They also said that if I really, really wanted they could give me a different car that was built for someone else. Well I apologize, Anonymous Tesla Buyer in the Bay Area, I took your car. I owe you a beer.

I gathered from reading between the lines of our conversations that if a car can't make it out of the parking lot they are pretty much obligated to undo the sale even if you've already fully paid and accepted as I had. That's what they did for me before selling me a different car. But if I had made it 100 feet further and turned onto the little side road in front of the parking lot I suspect I would have been SOL and been stuck with that particular car. I probably could have walked away and demanded my check back but I didn't. These things happen. Teslas are like any other electronics; if they make it past the first day they're generally fine. But it's not all that uncommon for electronics not to make it through that first day.

So I was not angry, didn't lose my cool and remained polite and cordial. This was not the fault of any of the people there. It was just one of those things. The people at Tesla remained professional and I think they appreciated that I didn't go ballistic. In retrospect, though, I believe all the delays in my delivery time and the way the tech drove the car away as I was looking at it without saying anything to me suggests they knew this car was throwing errors before they sold it to me but just didn't tell me. That's really pretty shady.

By the time the paperwork got sorted and everything settled it was after 6:30pm, I was tired, I was hungry, I was cold (I was wearing a t-shirt with no jacket) and it was dark. I didn't bring a flashlight with me and the lighting in the parking lot is completely inadequate so I haven't even really inspected the new car at all yet aside from what I could see in about 30 seconds in the dim light. I'll check the new car out thoroughly when I finish writing this but I anticipate it will be fine.

Obviously Tesla needs to do better QA. That goes without saying, right? The first car that died on me had only 8 miles on the odometer so they couldn't have done much of a QA test drive. The new car which I have now had only 3 miles on the odometer when I took it home which pretty much proves to me that it had no real QA test drive. The 3 miles was them driving it out of the huge factory and to the customer pickup parking lot.

Both the old car with VIN F177xxx and the new car with VIN F174xxx were built / born on Feb 11 (the day before my pickup). Since both cars are the exact same color / build and both cars were built the same day that clearly demonstrates that we can't assume that a 177xxx VIN is newer than a 174xxx VIN.

I had a lot of waiting around to do yesterday at the factory's tiny showroom / office as all of this got sorted. It is not a good place to have to wait for any length of time. There are no comfortable places to sit, there are no drinks or snacks, there are no vending machines and there is no TV or anything else to keep you occupied during a wait. It is also so small you feel like you're in the way when you're sitting around waiting.

Consequently I spent hours out in the lot inspecting pretty much all of the new cars that were out there for delivery and there were A LOT. I'll get this out of the way first: no, Tesla's exterior build quality is in no way the equivalent of Mercedes, BMW, Lexus or any other high-end brand. Frankly I'm not sure it is even quite up to Civic or Corolla standards when it comes to the alignment of body panels. But despite this it HAS gotten a lot better. I did a similar inspection of a delivery parking lot full of Model 3s in December 2017 and some of those cars back then were absolutely atrocious (and I still have the pictures to prove it). None of the cars I saw yesterday were anywhere near as bad as the worst I saw in 2017 but a few not quite parallel seam edges and slightly uneven panel depths were easily apparent to the eye and were the norm and not the exception. The kindest way to put it is to say this sort of thing is not Tesla's focus. You don't buy a Tesla to do that marble test from that old Lexus commercial from 1992. But it is a shame to say that a Tesla from 2022 isn't put together nearly as well as a Lexus from 30 years ago. I hear the cars built in China are much better (probably because they have better / more expensive assembly equipment) and I also suspect cars from Texas will also be better as Tesla will have more money for its capital equipment. Are the issues easily noticeable if you look? You betcha. Is it something you or anyone else would notice in day-to-day use if you're not looking? I don't think so. And I'm not just guessing when I say that; I owned my first Model 3 for 4 years and neither I nor my passengers noticed these small imperfections in daily use.

I also noticed there was remarkable consistency with some of these imperfect panel alignments probably due to the processes used in the factory. For example, there is a small seam that runs from the headlight assembly to the seam of the frunk. One one side of the seam is the side fender panel and on the other side is I guess the front bumper. It was pretty much the norm for there to be a slight mismatch in the height / depth of these two panels along the seam on the passenger side of the car but on the driver's side it tended to be much better. Another example is the back bumper. The seam where it attaches to the rest of the car was pleasingly parallel on almost none of the cars there and instead tended to come together to a point at one end.

I am not a paint expert but to my eye paint quality appears to be VASTLY improved from 2017. Few cars had visible paint imperfections that I noticed (but maybe I don't know what to look for) and almost none had spots where you tell that someone tried to buff out a paint imperfection over zealously. The paint jobs looked good. I wish Tesla offered more paint colors but for sure the blue, white and midnight silver colors all looked good. From a distance those 3 colors can look a little plain but when you get up closer you see the subtle nuances in the paint that makes them look fantastic. But the true standout is the red. Up close or from afar red looks absolutely fantastic on this car. It's just the right shade and has a lot of depth and character under all lighting conditions. My last Model 3 was red so I wanted a different color this time but wow it looks good. The loser is black. It looks cheaper than the other colors and generally looks terrible on this car in my opinion. Add in the utterly ridiculous $2,000 Uber Black tax that Tesla charges for this color and I have no idea why anyone would buy a Model 3 in black unless they really want to use it for a car service.

That's all for now! Happy driving!

that's some report. thank you for the details, and sorry to hear that you had to endure that. id say your experiences is an exception and not the norm, but these things do happen. you were able to be taken care of and it seems you approve of your new car.

my 2020 3 was born on that friday in march 2020 when tesla had to shut down for the pandemic. my car was literally one of the last out the factory ( i got the exact time and date from the SA). despite that, my cars ( model 3 perf/pup/fsd) fit and finish was mint. no panel gaps, nothing. the only bad thing is the service center put the license plate on the front! this car has been a dream to drive and i love driving it. im gettin' my new 2022 soon and i expect the same quality.

Reactions: CarlThompson
I received my 2022 Model 3 LR two days ago. This is my second Model 3. Bought a 2021 back in Sept of '21.
Both cars came with all four wheels out of Alignment! This took the dealer six hours to fix since they didn't plan
on my car's service that day. (I live 2 hours away). The Service Reb was very simpathetic and gave me a generous
amount of Uber miles. But... really!? Wheel alignment?!

Luckily Tim, the Factory Rep was there and I was able to file a complaint. I also refused delivery of a 2022 back
in Dec because the panel gaps and alignment was way off... including the Frunk lid.

So, I love the car. It is a fantastic vehicle! Fast Fun Smooth Quiet Economical. But as I told the Rep. Fremont needs to
get their act together!

Took delivery of my M3P yesterday. I've heard of so many headaches but I have to say, the Carlsbad CA location is awesome. This is our 3rd Tesla. The delivery process has been great all three times.

Regarding yesterday's delivery, the only available days (today and tomorrow) didn't work for us. I politely emailed the general sales account and asked if they could deliver it (favor #1) to my wife's office a day early (favor #2). They immediately replied that it wasn't a problem at all. Granted, my wife's office is only 4-5 miles from them. Driver arrived on time and had everything ready to go. Car looked great. Wife signed everything in 2 minutes and was back at work. Being our 3rd Tesla, I had the car set up in 10 minutes and drove away.

Then....

During pick up

After pick up

BTW Ryzen processor.
About 2 weeks since my pick up. I thought I'd share my experiences so far.

Tesla service has been good to work with. It’s a bit odd because Tesla really doesn’t want you to call them. Everything runs through the app. Its hard to confirm loaners for service. The chat is the method for communication within the service part of the app.

I took my car in twice so far. Both seem to be related to steering alignment issues. First appointment was overnight. Seemed to improve issue after the first repair. But a steering alignment appeared again. At least I didn’t lose any functions. Scheduled another service last week. Had to wait about a week to get it in. Dropped off yesterday at 9 AM. Grabbed a loaner. Process took 5-10 minutes. Car ready by 11 AM. Went back and picked up my car. That only took a minute. Drop the loaner key in the box. Jump in my car and leave.

I am a bit happier with the car. Happy to the point of hating to drive an ICE vehicle. Observations

1. The passenger side mirror should be addressed by tesla engineers, IMO. I think it looks weird that the frame shadows 10-15% of the left side of the mirror. But I am used to it now.
  2. Upper trunk area covering does not match the rest of the trunk. But this is normal. Looks odd.
  3. Spotify, if used within the Tesla OS, loses its place during podcasts. That is very annoying.
  4. No home link type of feature is ridiculous for a 50k car. I do have wifi on my garage door openers. But I have to grab my phone and do it that way. I guess I will have to see if I can program siri to ease that process.
  5. Windshield wipers. The timing is too frequent. Level I is too fast. Auto is way too fast. An update on this would be nice; more options for auto and non auto modes.
  6. Sub 20ish F degrees really impacts range. Range goes back to normal higher than 30-40 degrees.
  7. Snow driving is very very good. I went from an Outback with snow tires to this. I was planning on getting snow tires for the M3. Now I am reconsidering, its that good in the snow.
  8. Annoying phantom breaking in cruise control. I don’t drive a lot of expressway in the winter. I am on two lane roads to work mostly. I think the car thinks there is on coming traffic during curves. Sometimes it happens on straightaways with and without any upcoming or oncoming vehicles. It’s a bit annoying.
  9. Key location. I use my phone, so this isn’t a big deal. I notice it when I take the Tesla loaner. The contact location for the key to start the car is odd to me. Why not a slot or a location to place it instead of loose behind the cup holders
  10. Autoregen braking is great. Barely use the breaks.
  11. I think I need to learn the voice controls because making changes to climate/audio is a distraction to the driver. The attempts at voice commands I try don’t work. I will have to RTFF to find a list of commands.
  12. Noise. Much quitter ride than I anticipated. I thought road noise would be much worse. Very impressed so far.

Reactions: illiniknick
I took delivery of my white Model 3 Performance this morning. I was expecting the worst, but the car was flawless. All panel gaps were consistent. The roof glass was aligned with the windshield, no paint imperfections from what I could see. The interior was clean as well. The service center was great to work with as well - they were friendly and quick.

I'm really impressed with the car. I love it thus far.

Picked up M3 LR on Saturday. Main issue (have appointment set for next week) is Frunk plastic misalignment (I could fix it myself but I'll let them handle it), also interior trim had black smudge marks on it (they cleaned it right there).

One thing I noticed is, the rear calipers seem to be scratched/paint removed. Haven't taken a look at other M3 LR's so closely, but I saw this once I had it at home and was inspecting to see how my detail/ceramic coating was going to go this weekend...

Have any other LR owners see their calipers a bit worn? Car had 5mi on delivery.

Attachments

• IMG-20220227-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20220227-WA0004.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG-20220227-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20220227-WA0003.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 145