Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: 3 Delivery experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My home delivery was rushed. He dropped off the car. I thought home delivery was with a car transport trailer. The kid drove it to my house. Within 5 mins the Uber arrived. I had to accept delivery. Super rushed and the car had debris on it from a tree. 19 miles I expect it to be shiny. Will do a proper wash. I took delivery in 5 mins

Reactions: Kowalshy
My Delivery experience was pretty poor to say the least.

Delivery 10am-12am (Tesla insisted on home delivery). I get a call at 9.15, I'm on my way and at 9.22 Vehicle is on my driveway.

Delivery Rep has Uber waiting to take him back to SVC center and hands me envelope "Sign where its highlighted and I'll text you user instructions for your car. Open the Tesla app as I've already begun the pairing to your account process".
"Please mail or drop off the signed forms within 24 hours"

He then says "Call me if you have questions, Enjoy your new Car". Gets in the Uber and leaves.

Luckily, I earn my living in technology so the rest was easy but the delivery was the only disappointing part of the whole process.

Very very unprofessional by the delivery agent.
Very similar experience. Quite sad but overall great car

Picked up my M3 LR today, at Princeton, NJ, after lucking out with a sub-400 mile demo unit that avoided a 5 plus month wait. All the pre- work went smoothly, I ended up turning down their trade in offer on a '17 Honda Accord v6 Touring...a few grand low. The pick- up was uneventful, and tbh, underwhelming. Nonchalant dude at the front desk, we looked over the car ourselves. No pomp. Little circumstance. But, also no pressure or problems. The car was perfect, and off we went. My wife and I are very happy with it so far. Joins a Lotus Elise and Volvo XC60 in the fleet. And a shed load of motorbikes.

Attachments

• IMG_4067.jpeg
    IMG_4067.jpeg
    422.3 KB · Views: 266
Got my 2022 M3 5/20. Ordered 2/17/22. Picked up at Dedham, MA Tesla dealer. Went very smoothly. All details and payments handled before delivery. Turned in my 2019 M3, which was leased. The 2022 is also a lease. 2019 was blue exterior, white interior. 2022 is midnight silver with white interior. The paint on the 2022 is nicer, glossier. Put a coating of ceramic hybrid wax on it as soon as I got it home. No significant quality issues. There's a slight irregularity in the weather stripping in the trunk, but not even worth addressing. The 2022 is more quiet, the interior is nicer, and the suspension seems a bit softer and handles the bumps better. I think the 2022 is definitely an upgrade over 2019. So far, very happy after 150 miles. Zero squeaks/rattles. My 2019 had no rattles, but had a few suspension squeaks when going over rough roads.

TLDR:
I was told to click 'accept' before inspection, many horrible issues found for the car. SA refused to my request to reject and switch car, because I already clicked 'accept'; they told me to call service center instead.
Service appointment made but need another 20 days wait.
What should I do in this case ? Stick to switch another car by any method ? wait 20 days until my service appointment ?

I had appointment to pickup my car last Wednesday(May 25) at Tesla sale center. When I arrived there, SA told me to click accept in APP otherwise I do not have key to enter and then showed me the location of my car. I went to inspect my car, and found a lot of issues.
The SA told me that take car home and do inspection within 24 hours. Then I realized that I should not listen to him and click the "accept" in the app before do inspection(I thought some doc to sign which means car acceptance.)

I did inspection within next one day. Summary:
1. scratches in door edge; misalignment everywhere, big gaps around rear truck and rear lamp, paint flaws; driver side door hard to close; white powder in glasses; blue liquids leak from driver door
2. interior scratches and marker, dirty with construction materials and wires, misalignment headline, flaws in rear seat
3. weird sounds when turning steering wheels at low speed, especially at parking lot, and a little bit steering wheel misalignment(lean to passenger direction when going straight)

Something not sure if it is ok.
1. water leaking under car after parking somewhere for more than a few minutes (not sure if that is expected)
2. media bluetooth suddenly could not connect/forget, also can not be discovered in my two iPhone, until I restarted tesla system twice. (it works now, but feel surprise that happen after a few hours after car picking, seldom happens in my bmw car)
3. sometime still have noise at the front motor when parking; and have electronic shake when no speed at 'D'(holding mode); not sure if that is expected.
4. one of my iPhone can not get wireless charged with the case, while I was able to get charged easily in other test drive tesla cars.

I really like the car but I really get disappointed at so many weird issues and the bad quality. I called Tesla sales center, they told me that I can not reject the car, because I click 'accept'(even though I told him I was not provided option to do inspection before clicking 'accept' ). The only way I can do is to fill service requests within 24 hours(I did, need wait another 20 days for the service appointment), and they will fix it or decide if it is necessary to switch to another car(I do not think they will do it until very serious problems which can not be fixed well).

I went to tesla service center without appointment, and clarified my situation. One of their guy helped to roughly go though my cars and told me that those gaps are in factory spec, even those there is a big uneven gap(5~6mm) around left side of rear truck, while the right side looks good. They do not think too much they can do for the gaps. For scratches and paint flaw, they will try to fix it. Others need more inspection during service appointment.

I suspected my car might be a rejected car by someone else. I ordered M3P and then changed to M3LR one day before picking up. Then just another 3 days later, I got a new VIN(255xxx) at May 19. But I found a lot of 259XXX, 26XXXX already assigned after May 15. They wanted the guy to take the car ASAP, so asking me to click 'accept' before pointing me my car.

Lessons learned:
Never click 'accept' in the mobile until inspection done, do not listen to SA that you can do inspection later.

Last edited:
Blue liquid could be harmless (washer fluid) or a severe fault (coolant for the battery/drive units).

Sales Advisors are unit shifters, period. Get the car off the lot, no matter what. The “best” ones can sling bullsquat all day long and make customers believe it to be the truth.

I had a fantastic delivery experience for my M3P this weekend. I was originally scheduled to take delivery on Saturday but texted to ask if I could come in on Friday and they were more than accommodating. All morning I was the only customer they had, and they had my car indoors when I arrived under the bright showroom lights so I could check it out indoors first, and then they drove it onto the lot for me so I could see it in the sun.

They handed me the key cards and told me to take as much time as I wanted to make sure everything was perfect inside and out. I spent a while looking over the entire car and couldn't find a single flaw. No errant panel gaps, the paint finish was excellent, and the interior was rock solid too. After I came back inside, they had the paperwork ready which took <3 minutes to sign, and the only other interaction outside was getting the odometer reading off my trade in so I could sign off the registration of my old vehicle, and my sales advisor and I got a picture together with the car.

Once that was done the order was marked delivered and the car was mine, but since there was a bunch of staff and no other customers I got to go for a walk of the lot with them and talk about cars with the sales advisor and manager and get hands on with a Model S Plaid they had in inventory too. They offered that I could stay and grab a water/coffee with them inside but I needed to drive home anyway.

After reading so many negative experiences around here (both in the US and Canada) I had fairly low expectations and went in not knowing what would happen, but it turned out to be the most positive experience I've had with a dealership/service center of any car manufacturer in my life. If nothing else, the service center here knows how to treat people right and make the delivery experience special.

Got my 2022 M3 5/20. Ordered 2/17/22. Picked up at Dedham, MA Tesla dealer. Went very smoothly. All details and payments handled before delivery. Turned in my 2019 M3, which was leased. The 2022 is also a lease. 2019 was blue exterior, white interior. 2022 is midnight silver with white interior. The paint on the 2022 is nicer, glossier. Put a coating of ceramic hybrid wax on it as soon as I got it home. No significant quality issues. There's a slight irregularity in the weather stripping in the trunk, but not even worth addressing. The 2022 is more quiet, the interior is nicer, and the suspension seems a bit softer and handles the bumps better. I think the 2022 is definitely an upgrade over 2019. So far, very happy after 150 miles. Zero squeaks/rattles. My 2019 had no rattles, but had a few suspension squeaks when going over rough roads.
Congrats on your new Tes. Thanks for this post as I debated buying a used M3LR. Glad I decided on 2022. Now it's the 3 month waiting game:) Best wishes!

M3LR White/White 18" Sport. No FSD
OD: May 17. First EDD 1: June/August. EDD #2 Sept. 8-Oct. 20

Reactions: julit0
Ordered my M3P on 4/5/22 with pickup in just 2 short hours in Fremont, CA.
I have heard SO many bad things about taking delivery that it honestly gives me a fair bit of anxiety.
On the other hand, I am hopeful that everything will go smoothly without any major hiccups as described in this thread.

I will post again about my experience later, wish me luck, haha!

Had an excellent p/u experience at the Fremont, CA factory & showroom location.
It was a bit confusing as there were no clear or detailed instructions on what to do upon arrival.
SA made it almost too easy, no one came out to look at car with me, but that's ok. Had all the time in the world to look it over.
Besides a nicked driver door handle it all looked and felt great. Overall a good experience!

Reactions: julit0
My delivery experience in Alpharetta, Georgia was perfect. The SA let me look over everything in the car, and even handed me a bottle of water as I sat in it. She never pressured me to accept delivery. She had programmed everything in and set up a profile for me, and took her time explaining what I didn't already know from my test drive. The car was clean, plugged in, and had been charged to 100% by the time I took delivery. By the end I was just looking through the checklist on my, making sure I had looked at everything, and her response was, do you need more time, because it is no problem if you do. She took the old plates off my trade in and put them in my trunk for me.

I am sorry, that some of you have had a less than ideal delivery, but I couldn't have asked for mine to be any better.

Had an excellent p/u experience at the Fremont, CA factory & showroom location.
It was a bit confusing as there were no clear or detailed instructions on what to do upon arrival.
SA made it almost too easy, no one came out to look at car with me, but that's ok. Had all the time in the world to look it over.
Besides a nicked driver door handle it all looked and felt great. Overall a good experience!

What did you do about that nick on the door handle?

Took delivery of my car today at a brand new location in Fife, WA. It couldn’t have been easier. Signed papers and handed them a check from my bank, got our keys and went out to look over the car. The sales associate who was helping us actually pointed out a tiny chip on the corner of a side view mirror that I didn’t see. There was a mark on the driver seat which he got off with some cleaner and a cloth. I never felt pressured for time as we went over the car. (Only a couple of tiny issues - one minuscule paint imperfection on the trunk, warping of the plastic that covers the backseat seatbelt, a scratch and small mark in the headliner in the back seat.) He waited until we were satisfied before having me click accept in my app and then set up my profile, linked my phone and walked us through all of the options on the car’s menu. I was very satisfied!